Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Got the brake switch hooked up and the PDC/chassis harness installed.

View attachment 537046

The wiring for O/D and the O/D light are here and just need to be ran into the center console.

View attachment 537047

View attachment 537048

OBD II port is mounted.

View attachment 537049

These two wires were for the CCD input to the dash and are no longer used.

View attachment 537050

Harness coming through the firewall.

View attachment 537051

I've got to move the battery box and route the wiring behind it.

View attachment 537052

Chris from Hotwire does a excellent job with these harnesses.

View attachment 537053

Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like your air lines are starting to kink/pinch???

1719113313234.png

Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like your air lines are starting to kink/pinch???

View attachment 537063

That might be why they keep blowing out right before that point. I was going to replace them anyhow so I'll open up that hole a little more when I do.

Couldn't sleep last night so I spent most of the night reading Hemi swap threads.
I've found there the pump I have has been modified to fit under the tank nut and it's worked so I am going to cut that tab off mine and I've ordered a new pump gasket since mine is over 15 years old. It'll be here Tuesday. I'll put the pump in the tank to keep any crud out and then will reinstall the tank once I have the new gasket.
Also found a few people who made the NVLD work with the older tanks so I've got an idea of how to make it work. Not sure how much I'll get done today since I'm running on NO sleep.

Cut the tab off the 05 pump and then used a sanding disc on my Dremmel tool until I got it sanded down enough for the plastic nut to fit over the top of the pump.

20240623_055918.jpg

I just sat here and spun the pump as I sanded the rim down.

20240623_055925.jpg

The nut now fits and once the new gasket arrives I can put the tank back in the Jeep.

20240623_060005.jpg

I got the quick disconnect fittings for the fuel line. Will have to wait until I get the engine installed to see if I'll need a extension or not. I'm pretty sure I will but might also need a 45⁰ or 90⁰ fitting coming off the fuel rail.

20240623_061856.jpg

20240623_061902.jpg

My pet peeve with the digital ones is that on most of them, the speed gauge is laggy (ie doesn’t update in real time, the same way an analog does).

My step-uncle has the one you linked in his 4banger TJ. I only drove it once so I don’t recall if the speed updates quick enough or not.

Is this thing going to be on the road enough to worry about accurate speeds? Not being a smart ass….

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Is this thing going to be on the road enough to worry about accurate speeds? Not being a smart ass….

Nope most likely not. It's 90% a trail rig so I'm not super worried about that other than my speed sensors being accurate for the PCM..

Got the fuel line mounted on the firewall. I'll need to run a short line over to the fuel rail.

20240623_063802.jpg

Pump fits in the tank like it was mad for it. Now to get the NVLD setup.

20240623_062441.jpg

Nope most likely not. It's 90% a trail rig so I'm not super worried about that other than my speed sensors being accurate for the PCM..

Got the fuel line mounted on the firewall. I'll need to run a short line over to the fuel rail.

View attachment 537134

Pump fits in the tank like it was mad for it. Now to get the NVLD setup.

View attachment 537135

What year range is your tank, Rick? I made that same mod on my ‘05 pump to fit into my ‘04 style tank. It has worked fine with no issues at all.

@NashvilleTJ what did you use for the throttle cable hole. Just cut off the throttle cable? Or did you find a plug that would fit?

20240623_064630.jpg

Capped off the fuel line for now so crud doesn't get into it.
I already have a inline fuel filter on the frame down by the tank.
Jeff I was rereading your build thread and has see you'd added a filter at the fuel rail.

What year range is your tank, Rick? I made that same mod on my ‘05 pump to fit into my ‘04 style tank. It has worked fine with no issues at all.

I think it's a 97-03? I'd have to go look on GR. Or is it 02? 03-04 are one style and 05-06 are another?

@NashvilleTJ what did you use for the throttle cable hole. Just cut off the throttle cable? Or did you find a plug that would fit?

View attachment 537137

If memory serves, I think I just put a short stainless bolt and washer in there along with some silicone to plug the hole.

Capped off the fuel line for now so crud doesn't get into it.
I already have a inline fuel filter on the frame down by the tank.
Jeff I was rereading your build thread and has see you'd added a filter at the fuel rail.

I did. I also carry a spare, and that location makes it a pretty easy swap - but I’ve never had a need to do so.

I took the O/D wires off my Magnum harness to extend the ones in this harness to reach the O/D switch and self latching relay I've got in the center console.

20240623_071228.jpg

20240623_071736.jpg

Hooked up the last wire for the dash wiring harness. This Violet wire is the PCI wire that supplies data to the dash. It replaced the two wires I'd mentioned yesterday that were for the CCD input.

20240623_071725.jpg

I'll wait to loom the wiring until I get the engine running and can verify that the dash works properly.

20240623_071753.jpg

If the self latching relay system works I'll have to send Chris @ Hotwire one with a wiring diagram since right now you don't have a O/D light.

That’s cool. Does the relay allow the O/D light to turn off when you reengage the O/D?

You very kindly sent me that relay setup, but I’ve not gotten around to installing it - I need to get off my arse…

Reactions: reddvltj
That’s cool. Does the relay allow the O/D light to turn off when you reengage the O/D?

You very kindly sent me that relay setup, but I’ve not gotten around to installing it - I need to get off my arse…

Yes, it will turn the light ON when O/D is OFF and turn the light back OFF when O/D is ON. The one I sent you might fail after being used for a while. The one I had done first stopped working so I got a larger relay. Let me test it out for a while and if I don't have any issues I'll send you the updated version.
Then once both of us have field tested it for a few months I'll send one to Chris.

Since I had to pull the battery tray I did something I'd forgotten to do before. I made a hole for the battery temperature sensor. Turned out better than I'd hoped for.

20240623_082700.jpg

20240623_082706.jpg

Got the main harness routed behind the battery like stock. And the PDC is in the mounting bracket.

20240623_085759.jpg

20240623_085805.jpg

But I've still got to wire some leads into the PDC before I'm done with this part.

20240623_091519.jpg

Was that when you had to put a new pump in because you were having hard starting issues? Glad to hear it works OK. Really wasn't wanting to have to buy another tank.

If memory serves, I think I just put a short stainless bolt and washer in there along with some silicone to plug the hole.

That's a good idea. Hadn't thought of doing that.

I did. I also carry a spare, and that location makes it a pretty easy swap - but I’ve never had a need to do so.

I've got the filter down on the frame but hadn't thought about having a spare. I'll add that to my list of parts.