Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

These extensions sit on top of the rear torque box, correct? Has that been reenforced beyond the factory thin sheet metal box?

Yes it just sits on top of the rear torque box. But as I was looking at it I figured it will also be bolted to the rear corners. As I said I have no idea how much it'd help in a hard roll.

View attachment 318258Am I missing something here? Does an additional bar go down to the frame?

This was from moving it over to try and get it welded all the way around the tube.

20220325_151951.jpg

20220325_152001.jpg

Looks like it gets plug welded to the tub wall too.

It's just bolted to the body.

Reactions: Alex01
If you are comfortable with only that...
It's still stronger than original. You misrepresented how it actually works. It's not a substitution for the cage to inner fender mount, it's an additional support for the inner fender mount.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw
I figured it was an added thing and would help. And again as I said I have no idea how much it will help and hope I never find out.
If you wanted to give some actual structure to the cage extensions, make the torque box stronger so that both sides are tied together with something substantial.

Similarly, make a full width valance under the tail gate across the flat face is the rear that connects the two corner armor pieces together. Through bolt your cage extensions to the corner armor and the valance.

What happens to the tub when the cage is tied into the tub and then also the frame?
First gen Poison Spyder sliders. He shouldn't do that if he wants the body isolated from the frame.

If you wanted to give some actual structure to the cage extensions, make the torque box stronger so that both sides are tied together with something substantial.

Similarly, make a full width valance under the tail gate across the flat face is the rear that connects the two corner armor pieces together. Through bolt your cage extensions to the corner armor and the valance.

OK you don't like it and that's fine. I think it helps and adds another point to it. And no I'm not gunna got thru all that right now.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj and jjvw

All the things you suggested still are only reenforcing the body/torque box. So it's still then as you just pointed out a first gen Poison Spyder slider.

First gen Poison Spyder sliders. He shouldn't do that if he wants the body isolated from the frame.

The only true way is to tie it to the frame and that isn't happening back there. I have a tie in kit for the A pillars that I'm going to be doing.

Reactions: reddvltj
All the things you suggested still are only reenforcing the body/torque box. So it's still then as you just pointed out a first gen Poison Spyder slider.

The only true way is to tie it to the frame and that isn't happening back there. I have a tie in kit for the A pillars that I'm going to be doing.
I never suggested tying into the frame. That would be dumb given your intended use of the Jeep. I suggested strengthening where they attach at the torque box and at the corners.

I never suggested tying into the frame. That would be dumb given your intended use of the Jeep. I suggested strengthening where they attach at the torque box and at the corners.

And have the corner armor doesn't strength it? I guess I'm just not seeing the point.

And have the corner armor doesn't strength it? I guess I'm just not seeing the point.

At best and if you do it correctly, the corner armor is bolted to the torque box which does improve the strength of the corner's attachment beyond the handful of small spot welds under the tail lights. Even then, you are still relying on a thin sheet metal box to connect both sides of your cage extensions while also hoping that they don't collapse into the frame when you need the support you thought you were adding.

Reenforce the torque box and you are adding a tremendous amount of structure to your cage extensions and to the body mounts. Add the valance as described, either alone or in addition to the reenforced torque box, and you also add a significant amount of structure to your cage extensions.

Reactions: lBasket and JMT
At best and if you do it correctly, the corner armor is bolted to the torque box which does improve the strength of the corner's attachment beyond the handful of small spot welds under the tail lights. Even then, you are still relying on a thin sheet metal box to connect both sides of your cage extensions while also hoping that they don't collapse into the frame when you need the support you thought you were adding.

Reenforce the torque box and you are adding a tremendous amount of structure to your cage extensions and to the body mounts. Add the valance as described, either alone or in addition to the reenforced torque box, and you also add a significant amount of structure to your cage extensions.
Could the structure be reinforced more? Yes, absolutely!

Does this design add to the strength of the cage mount? Yes, it does!

OK I'm no wizard here so what you're suggesting seems like a lot more work and I'm not trying to ADD to the things I'm doing. I've never really seen the need for the piece under the tailgate but OK I could add that. But how does it tie into the corner armor?

And trying to make something to strengthen the torque box without pulling the body doesn't seem to be possible. So just saying do it doesn't help.

And what is properly mounted corners to the torque box? With the Poison Spyder corners they had you drill a hole to access the bolt.

OK I'm no wizard here so what you're suggesting seems like a lot more work and I'm not trying to ADD to the things I'm doing. I've never really seen the need for the piece under the tailgate but OK I could add that. But how does it tie into the corner armor?

And trying to make something to strengthen the torque box without pulling the body doesn't seem to be possible. So just saying do it doesn't help.

And what is properly mounted corners to the torque box? With the Poison Spyder corners they had you drill a hole to access the bolt.

The valance is a piece of 6061-t6 aluminum below the tail gate that overlaps the corner armor right up to the radius. It is bolted to the torque box with nutserts where it can't be through bolted. This unifies the entire rear of the body with bolts instead of just a bunch of small spot welds. It ties the left and rear corners together. Your new cage extensions get bolted through the corner armor that is now firmly connected to the entire rear of the body.

SAV-TGE~3.jpg

If you have an existing valance under the gate, use 1/4" thick material to cover everything. If you don't have an existing valance under the gate, use 1/2" thick material and rabbet out the thickness of your corner armor at the ends. A router or a table saw can cut the aluminum.

Suddenly now you don't want to overthink things? You added cage supports. At least try to make them do something.