Will a throttle body from a 2002 TJ fit on a 1999 TJ?

byarnell05

I've got a 99 Sahara that I need to replace the throttle body on (went to replace TPS, broke a bolt, tried to extract and screwed it up in the process) but mopar no longer makes the part. While searching rockauto I found that you can still get a throttle body from a 2002. Anyone know if there is any difference between the two?

1999 Part: 53032023AC

2002 Part: 53013290AA

I run the BBK 1724 62 mm throttle body on my 2000 TJ (same as for your 99) and love the increased power. It's not head snapping, but gets me back all I lost when bolting on weight (bumpers, rockers, big gas tank), plus a little.

I run the BBK 1724 62 mm throttle body on my 2000 TJ (same as for your 99) and love the increased power. It's not head snapping, but gets me back all I lost when bolting on weight (bumpers, rockers, big gas tank), plus a little.
Knowing the TJ's air intake system I really doubt it made a measurable difference. I was sent a 62mm TB years ago to try out and I noticed no difference at all, I distinctly remember being disappointed. The TB isn't the restriction. :)

What is the stock size on a 4.0L?

I posted this before. The whole story is the combination of the BBK big bore throttle body, Banks Monster cat back and AirAid intake, which has a quite large tube. I did the exhaust and intake first, while also bolting on several hundred pounds of weight, and noticed no gains, in fact I had to downshift (4.0, NV3550) out of 5th on some local hills, whereas prior to all this, I had been able to stay in 5th. On the way home from installation of the BBK, I could do those hills in 5th and still had power left over.

I don't care about details like air restriction of OEM this and that, etc, my experiment showed meaningful power gains from the mods listed up front, for my Jeep. I don't care about your Jeep (hat tip, Ron White). ; D

Those in search of a good throttle body for a TJ might like to know about the BBK.

55mm which is not restricting the air flow.
To be specific, it's 60mm and necks down to 55mm.

OP, since you need one anyways, if you can't find an OEM take off from somewhere cheap, the bored out ones are under a couple hundred bucks last time I checked. And by itself, I don't think you'll notice substantial hp gains from one although the throttle response will be noticably snappier.

Since any possible restriction could only affect air flow at WOT, how could a bigger TB opening give a theoretically snappier response unless you're driving at WOT?

You don't understand the effect a larger bore and throttle plate have on a partially open throttle. Also, don't misconstrue my throttle response comments with low end power.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but by your comment about it not being possible for it to make a difference except at WOT, it appears not.

The amount of air a 55mm throttle body could flow at WOT is obviously less than what a 60mm TB could flow at WOT. Can the stock setup take advantage of that flow? Not perceptibly, no. The larger TB will certainly not help lug a Jeep up a hill at 2000rpm where as you correctly observed the 55mm would have no problem following as well.

However, the amount of airflow difference between the two TBs is considerable at initial throttle tip in (the first 10% for example). This is more a function of the surface area of the circle open at say 10% throttle than the amount of flow that throttle body is capable of. Will this part throttle initial snappiness be meaningfully useful to most Jeepers? Not unless they drive around rev matching and double clutching. What kind of idiot Jeep driver drives like that? 😅 It will make it feel different though. Some people claim it even makes it too "touchy" when you are trying to drive on a trail. I haven't found that to be true for me, but that is certainly open for debate, and your experience wheeling vastly outweighs mine so I would listen to your opinion on that. A larger throttle body changing throttle response is a simple fact though and isn't an opinion thing.

Reactions: reddvltj
We're still looking for it. 😊
heads, 2000 intake is equal flow, if you install 5.7 hemi valves, you get oversize valves and can stay with stock springs. Its a balance of flow vs rpms... I put chevy valves in my stroker along with the big valves, oversize throttle body and the 2000 intake. I ran that same head on a 258, it was a noticeable improvement with a carb...

deadjeep.com has them. Don't expect any speedy service though. Takes a least 5 business days for them to get around to pulling a part typically. I may buy one to keep handy though since availability will be an issue.