Will I need wheel spacers?

ToddDerrArtist

TJ Enthusiast
Getting ready to put new tires on my stone stock TJ. It currently has 235/75-15 on the stock Grizzly wheels. I'm wanting to put 31's on there.
I know 31's will fit an unlifted TJ, but concerned about the stock wheel backspacing with 31's and clearance issues. I don't want to change wheels. I love the factory look.

Anyone with knowledge as to whether I will need to space the wheels out some or will they work OK as is.

Thanks!!

31's will fit without lift and without changing the wheels. The only thing you'll want to do due to the extra tire width is to very slightly restrict how far the steering can be turned so the wider tire doesn't rub the control arms. It's such a small amount that you won't notice it and your Jeep will still "turn on a dime". It's such a small amount that when I installed different wheels that no longer needed the restriction I didn't bother to remove the washers.

This is easily done by just placing a washer under each of the two steering stop bolts as shown at http://www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

Not to mention that small amount of steering restriction is a good thing where the axle shaft u-joints are concerned since the tighter the turn, the more stress that is placed on the axle shaft u-joints. In 4Low, cranking the wheel hard over and giving it a little too much gas can result in a broken u-joint and broken or stretched 'ears' on the axle shafts which are what hold the u-joints.

Note that while that steering stop bolt may appear to be welded into place, it's not. That weld you'll see only serves to hold its nut to the bolt which provides its initial steering stop setting.