Winch with stock bumper?

On my experience, get a raise winch plate. Once you are able to remove the bumper bolts replace with Grade 8 ones.

upload_2018-9-24_13-23-58.png

I'm not a fan of the the huge & heavy aftermarket front bumpers but I do want to add a winch. Those of you that have a winch with the stock bumper will you share your setups/experiences please to give me some ideas. Pics are always a welcomed bonus. Thanks is advance.

I installed a Smittybilt winch plate on my 04 stock bumper---easy bolt on insulation-—$70 on Amazon

I think I’ll eventually go back to the stock bumper, cut down with a raised winch plate. You gotta have a winch, but you don’t gotta have a aftermarket front bumper. I feel differently about the rear bumper

Reactions: fuse
Until recently I was running a basic $70 smittybilt winch plate with my factory bumper, have a 12k winch and have pulled out full size diesel trucks stuck to the frame, no issues, plate held up fine, finish was holding up well. Only reason I switched was I built my own bumper with winch mount integrated.
4fd218488a1744a05d47626ad5c8de1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several posts mention winch plates from brands that don't get much respect on this site (e.g. Quadratec, Smittybilt, Rough Country) but everyone seems pretty happy. Is this one of those cases where anything will do, or are there winch plates to avoid?

Several posts mention winch plates from brands that don't get much respect on this site (e.g. Quadratec, Smittybilt, Rough Country) but everyone seems pretty happy. Is this one of those cases where anything will do, or are there winch plates to avoid?

My thinking was 1/4 steel is 1/4 steel. If it rusts, Ill sand and paint. Its only purpose is to bolt to my winch and bolt to the frame.

Reactions: fuse
Mines a huge old thing originally for a CJ with extenders welded on to fit the wider TJ frame. If it fits and it doesn't bend then anything does the same job.
625f4cbd53e1f7b17259dff0e7ffdc79.jpg

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: ITxDoc
Stock bumper that I cleaned up a bit with Warn's raised winch plate.
View attachment 56720
What did you do to the bottom edge of the stock bumper to give it that taper? Also, did you have to fill in some holes on the front of the bumper? Or were there none already?

What did you do to the bottom edge of the stock bumper to give it that taper? Also, did you have to fill in some holes on the front of the bumper? Or were there none already?

Some welding/cutting shenanigans took place to get it to look that way. I had more time than coin, and a welding shop at my disposal, so I figured I'd practice on it a little.
100_0337.jpg

100_0337.jpg
P1020787.JPG
P1020788.JPG
P1020791.JPG
P1020793.JPG

Some welding/cutting shenanigans took place to get it to look that way. I had more time than coin, and a welding shop at my disposal, so I figured I'd practice on it a little.
View attachment 56857
View attachment 56857 View attachment 56858 View attachment 56859 View attachment 56860 View attachment 56861
It looks great. I'd like to do something like that if I go back to stock. It would save me about 30lbs, as I add it up, might not be worth the trouble now that I think about it. sure looks good though.

Stock bumper that I cleaned up a bit with Warn's raised winch plate.
View attachment 56720
I picked up a used Warn raised winch plate like yours. The previous owner cut part of each end of the front plate off for some reason. I cut more off and did it on an angle so that I could adapt a Warrior hoop to it. I mounted it on a stock bumper that I had cut 3.5" off each end of. I duplicated the factory angles so I could install MOPAR plastic end caps.

picture.jpg