Winch with stock bumper?

I know I have read about it, but what is the advantage (or maybe disadvantage?) of a raised winch plate?

Reactions: ITxDoc
My flat plate has no interference issues. I got rid of my sway bar cover once the winch went on.

Reactions: fuse
I'm not a fan of the the huge & heavy aftermarket front bumpers but I do want to add a winch. Those of you that have a winch with the stock bumper will you share your setups/experiences please to give me some ideas. Pics are always a welcomed bonus. Thanks is advance.
stock bumper raised winch plate randy ellis design lite bar stock fog lites upside down on lite bar looks good sorry no pictures

I have never been able to figure out the purpose of or the benefit to a raised winch plate.

If you spent as much time as I did inside of commercial/industrial air handling units studying air flow issues with a smoke generating wand you would be surprised at what a difference the air space under the plate can do to minimize air stratification behind the winch. Stratification of the air can easily block proper flow thru the radiator.

If you spent as much time as I did inside of commercial/industrial air handling units studying air flow issues with a smoke generating wand you would be surprised at what a difference the air space under the plate can do to minimize air stratification behind the winch. Stratification of the air can easily block proper flow thru the radiator.
We might actually have to worry about that if overheating from having installed a winch was a factor. Experienced Jeepers know installing a winch in front of a TJ doesn't cause overheating, the OE Mopar cooling system has plenty of excess cooling capacity.

Not to mention I finally learned the reason Warn's winch mount is raised. To allow the winch to be positioned further back. Its added height allows the mount to clear the anti-rollbar that sits directly underneath it when it's that far back. Not for additional cooling.

Last edited:
We might actually have to worry about that if overheating from having installed a winch was a factor. Experienced Jeepers know installing a winch in front of a TJ doesn't cause overheating.

Not to mention I finally learned the reason Warn's winch mount is raised. To allow the winch to be positioned further back. Its added height allows the mount to clear the anti-rollbar that sits directly underneath it when it's that far back. Not for additional cooling.
My winch plate is a perfect example of how air flow just isn't an a problem.
With that giant flat fairlead mount blocking the entire lower half of the rad and the upper part of the 8274 blocking the center of the upper half of the rad, combined with sticky 37" tires to create extra engine load I have 0 on road overheating issues. The only time I have problems is at idle for extended periods with the ac on, bump to 1200rpm and all is well.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Some welding/cutting shenanigans took place to get it to look that way. I had more time than coin, and a welding shop at my disposal, so I figured I'd practice on it a little.
View attachment 56857
View attachment 56857View attachment 56858View attachment 56859View attachment 56860View attachment 56861
Hey, Bob what's under the big plastic bumper pieces? Been thinking about narrowing the factory bumper, and welding a taco bull bar I acquired some years ago to the front, but it lines up right on those plastic pads. I could narrow the bull bar if I wanted but itd be a lot less work if I didn't have to. Sorry for reviving an old thread.

When I think of raised I think of more leverage (not in a good way)

3449986.jpg

Reactions: matkal and Mrgreg66
For those who mounted their winch onto their stock bumper, did you notice any front sagging? Part of the reason I don’t want an aftermarket bumper is to cut down on weight when a winch alone is pretty heavy by itself.

For those who mounted their winch onto their stock bumper, did you notice any front sagging? Part of the reason I don’t want an aftermarket bumper is to cut down on weight when a winch alone is pretty heavy by itself.
I'm gonna jump and say "No one mounts the winch to the stock bumper" we all use "winch mounting plates" or a home built alternate.

On the weight issue, I think the best choice would be a Currie Anti Rock sway bar, and a flat plate for the winch, a long term goal of mine.

IMG_0597.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry I thought that was understood. For those who mounted a winch onto a mounting plate on a stock bumper, have you had any noticeable sagging?
no....

far more important for weight, is the choice of winch. I was real close to picking Warns competition 9.0RC and throwing 100'of synthetic extension in the back. If I drove an SE with the 4 angry squirrels I'd have gone that route.

https://www.warn.com/90rc-winch-71550

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58 and jazngab