Winch with stock bumper?

no....

far more important for weight, is the choice of winch. I was real close to picking Warns competition 9.0RC and throwing 100'of synthetic extension in the back. If I drove an SE with the 4 angry squirrels I'd have gone that route.

https://www.warn.com/90rc-winch-71550
Have you checked out how much that bad boy weighs? You don't save much there. Engo / synthetic saves you more. Sweet looking winch though, screams " I go off road!".

If you want to see what the added weight of a winch will do, place that amount of weight on the bumper. A 80lb bag of cement will hold still longer than a small child, while you measure and ponder.

Reactions: StG58
No cooling issues here =)
IMG_20181226_143715_338.jpg
IMG_20181226_143715_336.jpg

If you want to see what the added weight of a winch will do, place that amount of weight on the bumper. A 80lb bag of cement will hold still longer than a small child, while you measure and ponder.

That’s a good idea. Thanks!

For those who mounted their winch onto their stock bumper, did you notice any front sagging? Part of the reason I don’t want an aftermarket bumper is to cut down on weight when a winch alone is pretty heavy by itself.

No problem at all---works great

Raised winch plate vs flat winch plate.
I had a flat RC winch plate over my stock bumper for my first winch. Worked just fine. But, when I swapped front bumpers to a Smittybilt Classic bumper, it would not sit flat. That bumper is wider up top than the stock bumper. The interference was due to the front two winch mounting bolt heads coming in contact with the bumper. I ended up drilling two large holes on top of the bumper for those bolt heads to drop into. Had I bought a raised winch plate from the get go, I would not have run into that problem.
All that went away later when I replaced it all with a winch ready stubby bumper with integrated winch mounting plate.

Does anyone make a Grade 8 hardware kit for the front bumper? I have one for the rear and suspension but can't find anything for the front.

Myself I'm not aware if someone have such of a kit. I do always pick my Grade 8 hardware from Rural King as I do need them and when I swap my bumpers i just got the count and got it.

Only 6 bolts to the front bumper, probably easier and cheaper to just run to the hardware store and get grade 8 bolts.

So I guess it's safe to say that flat vs. raised winch plate on a factory bumper is a matter of personal preference. I just picked up a warn off of Craigslist and it came with a raised plate and I'm not feeling it at all. Sits to high and covers to much of that iconic jeep grill. Its like a beautiful woman with Groucho Marx glasses!
groucho marx.jpg

Reactions: Jack72
As Jerry said before, the raised plate allows the winch to sit closer to the radiator. The flat plate is fine, it just sticks out further forward.