Window Shopping for Ramp Trucks or Roll Backs

How much do you really need? The typical TJ 35s is around 4k.

Add gear & food and tools and you're looking at 6K pretty fast. And many guys are shocked at what their rigs weigh too. I'd figure 4500lbs to be on the safe side. Add two people who weigh 250 lbs as they count against your payload too. Believe me I've been down this road more than once. It's amazing how fast it adds up. Minimum a 4500/450 but if I was buying again I'd find a 5500. There are ways to make them ride OK unloaded.

Reactions: Wildman and PNW_LJ
What I understand, a cab/chassis has a higher GVWR than a one with a truck bed.

I just check the current models for fun. On the Ram website the current 3500 chassis cab has a payload up to 6800. The 4500 jumps to 8520 and the 5500 takes it all the way to 11450. That's all with a single cab and base trim. Obviously adding a crew cab, longer frame, or interior trim will subtract slightly from those numbers and then the weight of your flat bed (1000lbs? maybe, I don't know?) comes out of that as well.

The 3500 numbers surprised me a bit for the newest models but I guess not really. The towing numbers on these new trucks are insane though! Nearly 26000lbs on the 3500 chassis cab and nearly 35000 on the 5500.