Windshield Frame Guards

NOTNSUV

NOW I Know!
Supporting Member
Anyone using either of these or another brand? Price discrepancy is stark. Rock Hard doesn't seem to have them. I get that only a limited number of folks here are on the kind of trails where these are needed; I'd be one of them.

Looking at windshield frame guards from GenRight $249 in steel.
https://genright.com/products/windshield-guards-for-the-jeep-tj-lj.html#product-reviews
and UCF in aluminum $111 (or steel).
https://undercoverfab.com/misc-armo...j.html#/22-material_type-1_8_6061_t6_aluminum
The UCF are 2 piece (2 "planes" for fitment) and there's an obvious seam, which may or not bother me.

Thanks.

While I don't have these particular pieces, I've gotten a few other things from UCF now and, overall, I am very happy with their stuff. (aluminum front bumper, aluminum winch plate, and front cage pillars) Shipping has been fast and everything has been just as described and has fit as it should. I'd add that this seems like a very good place to use aluminum.

What kind of trails do you fo where these are needed ?
I knew someone would scratch their head in wonder. They are not for 'show'.

The kind of trails where we carry a chainsaw and/or sawzall to cut our way through the quakies every Fall before hunting season and every Spring on the first ride through. Snow drops a lot of branches or leans them across the roads but it might not be possible to clear all of it.
Lots of clearing for a S x S, would be even less overhead or sideways clearance in the LJ. And it's too pretty to not try and avoid pin-striping or other damage if possible.

Last edited:
While I don't have these particular pieces, I've gotten a few other things from UCF now and, overall, I am very happy with their stuff. (aluminum front bumper, aluminum winch plate, and front cage pillars) Shipping has been fast and everything has been just as described and has fit as it should. I'd add that this seems like a very good place to use aluminum.
Matt is VERY responsive to his Chat. Twice in 2 days I've reached out and he's responded instantly. I have the UCF engine skid on the way and considering the guards. Might have to ask GR why theirs are $130 better and only offered in steel. Only concern I have with the UCF is pop-rivets.
"These ship with new hardware for the lower mounting holes and aluminum blind rivets for the upper mounting locations".

I have the genright installed and I suspect they may have saved my windshield at least twice so far, both times driving through a deep rut trail where I slid into a bank and bounced the guard against a tree root...

I picked the genright because they just looked more finished and like they mounted better based on others reviews. Also they have recessed thus flush mounting hardware instead of the protruding cap head screws. I also got them on sale 25% off which helped :)

This video is an example of trails where people bash their windshields around here though it's missing the roots... just picture this corner with some big tree roots sticking out from the driver side bank at drivers 'eye' level...

• Love
Reactions: lBasket and NOTNSUV
I have the UCF ones. Yes, the weld does show on the seem. I bought them after seeing a guy that I wheel with get a pretty big dent on the side of his windshield frame from a fairly small branch. The metal on the stock windshield frame seems to be thin and poorly reinforced.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
they have recessed thus flush mounting hardware instead of the protruding cap head screws.
Ah, I see said the blind man. That is a nice feature. Now if I can talk them into a discount. Should receive my GR half doors tomorrow.. maybe that will help.

tagged a tree just past Buck Island on the Rubicon...these would have saved me from a dented windshield frame....first trip in my new to me TJR....learned it doesn't take the same line as my old 7

tagged a tree just past Buck Island on the Rubicon...these would have saved me from a dented windshield frame....first trip in my new to me TJR....learned it doesn't take the same line as my old 7
Literally did the exact same thing. Barely leaned into a tree on my windshield frame right past buck island.

I need some...need lots of armor...first I need to finish recovering financially from regearing.

Option 2 to armor...is slow down and cut your way through...I call this slogging out a trail...

I've been considering the UCF version for a while. I already have a dent in my windshield frame and a few others around me have similar.

Reactions: rasband and NOTNSUV
I've been considering the UCF version for a while. I already have a dent in my windshield frame and a few others around me have similar.
Is cost the determining factor UCF over GR? I'm gonna get one or t'other. Can probably live with exposed hardware.
Wondering if I can mod it up for rivnuts instead of pop rivets.

I already have a dent in my windshield frame
Me too, from the PO. My SIL was kind enough to point it out when I got it home... :oops:
UCF has options for light bars FWIW. I'll pass on the light bar option.

Edit/Add: but the GR fit up to the roof rubber seal. That can be seen and there's a note on one of the pictures. Looks like the UCF are shorter and do not.

Last edited:
Is cost the determining factor UCF over GR? I'm gonna get one or t'other. Can probably live with exposed hardware.
Wondering if I can mod it up for rivnuts instead of pop rivets.
Yes, that is what I did. Used rivnuts and tossed the pop rivets.

Edit/Add: but the GR fit up to the roof rubber seal. That can be seen and there's a note on one of the pictures. Looks like the UCF are shorter and do not.
I am not sure that's worth more than 2x the price for me, but that is a little unfortunate. I wonder if that matters though?