Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

So much detail. Geez, so meticulous! Stop it already. It's embarrassing! 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Woodrow
So much detail. Geez, so meticulous! Stop it already. It's embarrassing! 🙂

I THINK I'm close to where I want to be on the mechanical stuff. However, its possible Moab could alter that opinion. But I am finally starting to make a punch list for the creature comfort stuff, including the stereo.

Oh... here's a detail: labels for the locker switches😂
IMG_4102.jpeg

I THINK I'm close to where I want to be on the mechanical stuff. However, its possible Moab could alter that opinion. But I am finally starting to make a punch list for the creature comfort stuff, including the stereo.

Oh... here's a detail: labels for the locker switches😂
View attachment 428921

Show off. I'm embarrassed to post my locker switch situation. They didn't install it where I told them too because it wouldn't fit. So, without asking me they just cut out some plastic and put it there. The only consolation is they work.

• Sad
I got the Next Venture frame tie in brackets, backing plates and rear bumper step/spare tire support back from powder coat today. I asked for my usual 50:50 black (half gloss/half flat).
IMG_4108.jpeg

I installed them this evening. Here are the tie in brackets:
IMG_4109.jpeg

IMG_4112.jpeg

The spare tire support/step fits well and no noise in back on test drive (yay).
IMG_4110.jpeg

IMG_4111.jpeg

IMG_4113.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s It.

This completes the mechanical portion of my 33s build as conceptualized with the assistance of the expertise on this forum. The rig is stock-ish in appearance, using stock suspension mounting points, stock axle housings, engine block, trans and T-case. Within those parameters, it is a pleasant daily driver and is fairly capable off road. This “moderate build” will soon be tested in Moab. Pics to follow, hopefully not upside down or being towed. If it does well there, I plan a few minor livability upgrades (such as a better sound system). Otherwise, I’m happy with it at this point.

Feels good.

Your right. I think I'll just make it into a TJ-6 on tons and forties with an LS. I'll just order the stuff at lunch and I probably should leave work early today if I'm going to be ready to leave for Moab next week...

OK that's it.... Can't follow your build anymore...

This is for @Wildman. I checked the ceramic coated header temp with an IR thermometer:

View attachment 428918
This was after about 15 min at 60mph at 75 degrees F, ambient. That was about 100 degrees cooler than the old header (non-coated but with heat wrap) under similar conditions. So there you go.

I'd say a 100* reduction in temp isn't too bad. And not having the header wrap which can trap moisture is an added plus.

Edit: I'm heading to Auburn today to pickup my headers & Y-pipe. Excited to see what it all looks like.

Last edited:
Your right. I think I'll just make it into a TJ-6 on tons and forties with an LS. I'll just order the stuff at lunch and I probably should leave work early today if I'm going to be ready to leave for Moab next week...

Enjoy Moab. Really wish I was going to be able to make it too. Next year.

You're right. I think I'll just make it into a TJ-6 on tons and forties with an LS. I'll order the stuff at lunch and I probably should take off of work early today if I'm going to be ready to leave for Moab next week...

Well, 3 outta 4 good decisions ain’t bad…

🙂

Well, 3 outta 4 good decisions ain’t bad…

🙂

I try. Hemi s win for the cool factor, but IF I were to V8 swap (something I've not done before), the additional aftermarket support of the GM platform alone would probably drive me in that direction. Other things like price, availability and even weight are considerations too. But hey, if the stars were to line up, I'd love a hemi.

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
I try. Hemi s win for the cool factor, but IF I were to V8 swap (something I've not one before), the additional aftermarket support of the GM platform alone would probably drive me in that direction. Other things like price, availability and even weight are considerations too. But hey, if the stars were to line up, I'd love a hemi.

Sure, sure - go ahead and use logic to make the decision…

😉

When I finished the front e-locker, the tap-a-fuse situation was really janky. With the seat heaters and f/r e-lockers, the fuse panel looked terrible. What follows is a few pics of wiring clean up and on board air install. This may seem straightforward to many but it was many hours of tedious work for me.
View attachment 426255
With plans for on board air and 2 or 3 other electrical additions, an auxiliary fuse panel was in order. In the above pic, you can see the no. 2 cable from the PDC over the stock fuse box and below is the routing from the PDC to the firewall and through the plug used for TJs with autos (mine is an AX-15).
View attachment 426257
I made an aluminum plate for the passenger kick panel to mount a Painless Wiring 7 circuit box (3 battery and 4 switched with ignition) and the ARB compressor fuses.
View attachment 426258

View attachment 426259
This cleaned up the stock box significantly. There is still one tap-a-fuse for the relay for ignition switched power using the empty rear wiper fuse hole (this Jeep did not come with a hard top stock and has a soft top now.
View attachment 426260
Next, the ARB compressor for on board air was mounted. I wanted it inside for longevity and since there is no back seat in this TJ, the passenger rear footwell was selected (it was pretty tight with the twin but fits OK. I used the ARB plate with 4 M6 bolts through the tub (above the muffler heat shield-PITA) for the floor mount with some rubber spacers between it and the carpet for vibration and heat isolation.
View attachment 426262

View attachment 426263
The switch for the ARB filled the 3rd stock switch panel hole in the dash. The f/r e-locker switches are in the other 2. Luckily, this Jeep doesn’t have factory fog lights, rear wiper and such filling theses holes. The ARB wiring harness was too long and also had extra stuff for their air lockers. With a little help from YouTube University, I rebuilt the harness for my simpler needs. It all works as it should and the switches are even lighted. Phew!
View attachment 426264

Started to work on the Painless Performance Circuit Boss. I like the l location you chose, but I have an occasional water leak I have yet to resolve it sometimes appears to run down the inside passenger footwell, right where you mounted the unit.. so I have to find another spot (Or spend the time to find the intermittent leak…. Or both).

Where did you mount the inline circuit breaker?

Reactions: Wildman
Started to work on the Painless Performance Circuit Boss. I like the l location you chose, but I have an occasional water leak I have yet to resolve it sometimes appears to run down the inside passenger footwell, right where you mounted the unit.. so I have to find another spot (Or spend the time to find the intermittent leak…. Or both).

Where did you mount the inline circuit breaker?

I have that leak too and I spoke with another (former) TJ owner last week who had the same thing starting when it was new. He said his whole passenger footwell would fill up with water and he had to keep the drain plug out because of it. Ultimately, Chrysler actually took the Jeep back because of the lemon law. Anyhow, its on my list of interior things to sort out. I've read the cowl area may be the issue and plan to remove the cover in front of the windshield for cleaning and inspection at some point. If you figure it out, let me know.

I didn't use the inline auto-reset fuse. I ran heavy gauge wire (no. 2 welding cable) from the battery to the Painless aux fuse panel. My reasoning was the wire size should be safe from anything the circuits in the panel can draw and the fuses in the panel protect the individual circuits.

Reactions: Wildman
I have that leak too and I spoke with another (former) TJ owner last week who had the same thing starting when it was new. He said his whole passenger footwell would fill up with water and he had to keep the drain plug out because of it. Ultimately, Chrysler actually took the Jeep back because of the lemon law. Anyhow, its on my list of interior things to sort out. I've read the cowl area may be the issue and plan to remove the cover in front of the windshield for cleaning and inspection at some point. If you figure it out, let me know.
I get water entry from two spots. Down the firewall, which easily travels under the rug and even with the drain plugs removed soaks the carpet. I suspect this is coming from somewhere under the cowl as is often the case. When it rains heavy I also get a water drip along the forward bottom corner of the passenger door, dripping down the floor. It could be coming from anywhere around the door and exiting at the corner. Bestop all-weather mats catch a lot of this water.

While I had removed the cowl for inspection just a few weeks after I bought the TJ (two years ago) I found no debris accumulated and at the time wasn't educated on where or what to seal. My attack plan..
  • I taped a piece of HD black Tyvek up against the inside of the firewall such that it drapes over the leading edge of the mat. It doesn't solve the water issue but it does redirect the water dripping down the fire wall onto the floor mat
  • Silicone around the cabin air intake regardless of how clean it actually looks is high on my list
  • Snake into the drain funnel that sits agains the firewall behind the valve cover. My thought here is that I notice after washing the Jeep water continues to drip from the bottom of the drain funnel for quite a while, leading me to suspect a clog there
  • Replacing the door seals or snake a length of fuel line inside the existing weather stripping to expand
Not sure if any of these will work.

I didn't use the inline auto-reset fuse. I ran heavy gauge wire (no. 2 welding cable) from the battery to the Painless aux fuse panel. My reasoning was the wire size should be safe from anything the circuits in the panel can draw and the fuses in the panel protect the individual circuits.
Interesting. I don't have any wire that heavy. Maybe 10 gauge max, but I think that is the gauge of the power feed in the kit. My battery area is getting cluttered up with the heavy gauge Big 7 kit, its' circuit breaker and the Auxbeam switch controller and it's resettable breaker.

I didn't read everything on the leaks so forgive me if this is repeat info, but I chased a "firewall" leak for years. I noticed on a newer Jeep being parted out that the seal between the cowl and the hood went from fender to fender where as mine only ran along the top of that lip basically. I swiped it, swapped it, and no more leaks. It's worth looking at if you haven't tried already. They are pretty cheap new.

I didn't read everything on the leaks so forgive me if this is repeat info, but I chased a "firewall" leak for years. I noticed on a newer Jeep being parted out that the seal between the cowl and the hood went from fender to fender where as mine only ran along the top of that lip basically. I swiped it, swapped it, and no more leaks. It's worth looking at if you haven't tried already. They are pretty cheap new.
The seal you have to remove if you're removing the cowl? If we're talking about the same thing, mine goes the full width of the engine bay...

2023-05-19 TJ Silicone Hoses 01.jpg

Reactions: SkylinesSuck