Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

Is the first trip with the Atlas. Recall you did a local park or something as a test.. curious if this your maiden off-road excursion...

Have you developed an opinion on the Yokohama's?

Great job as always...

Reactions: Woodrow
Is the first trip with the Atlas. Recall you did a local park or something as a test.. curious if this your maiden off-road excursion...

Have you developed an opinion on the Yokohama's?

Great job as always...

Moab will be the first major wheeling with the Atlas. I’ve driven around our property which has some decent hills to try out the low range and went to the beach for some sand wheeling on the dunes but thats all high range for wheel spin. I like the Yokohama Geolandar G003s so far. They aren’t loud though they will likely get noisy as they wear given my past experience with MTs. The road force balance was good (super important to me because it means they are smooth rolling at speed). Also, just like I noticed when I went from 31s to 33s, the larger diameter 35s seemed to make the Jeep feels less bumpy on the road. On sand they did really well. They stayed on top and I was able to do most hill climbs in 2 wheel drive. Compared to the JK and 2 Scouts I was with, they seemed better as everyone else was mostly in 4WD and seemed to dig in more. I was aired down to 6 or 7 PSI so the Coyote beadlocks certainly helped. Moab will be a good test of the rig overall but it seems like any tire works OK there.

Moab will be the first major wheeling with the Atlas. I’ve driven around our property which has some decent hills to try out the low range and went to the beach for some sand wheeling on the dunes but thats all high range for wheel spin. I like the Yokohama Geolandar G003s so far. They aren’t loud though they will likely get noisy as they wear given my past experience with MTs. The road force balance was good (super important to me because it means they are smooth rolling at speed). Also, just like I noticed when I went from 31s to 33s, the larger diameter 35s seemed to make the Jeep feels less bumpy on the road. On sand they did really well. They stayed on top and I was able to do most hill climbs in 2 wheel drive. Compared to the JK and 2 Scouts I was with, they seemed better as everyone else was mostly in 4WD and seemed to dig in more. I was aired down to 6 or 7 PSI so the Coyote beadlocks certainly helped. Moab will be a good test of the rig overall but it seems like any tire works OK there.

Did you test the front dig?

• Haha
Got a weight today:
IMG_6706.jpeg

Full tank of gas and recovery bag. No tools and I’m not in it. Could be worse but its gained some with the armor, Atlas and 35s.

Less than I expected

Its hard to make off-road performance improvements with out adding weight but I'm satisfied. Not only does weight hurt street performance in a daily but each additional pound requires that much more traction to scale a rock or causes more digging into a soft surface.

Last edited:
Its hard to make off-road performance improvements with out adding weight but I'm satisfied. Not only does weight hurt street performance in a daily but each additional pound requires that much more traction to scale a rock or causes more digging onto a soft surface.

Maybe you could cut some weight with an LS ;)

Here’s what I found for weights

Curb Weight
3,200 lbs. (1467 kg) - SE
3,438 lbs. (1545 kg) - X
3,539 lbs. (1565 kg) - Sport
3,832 lbs. (1686 kg) - Rubicon

That was the same stat i found. My mistake. 600 lbs for 2.5l/Dana 30/35/np231 vs 4.0l/d44s/np241

I wonder what the 2.5l weighs compared to an aluminum block LS.