Would it be best to install a front or rear locker?

I used to think the front locker restricted mobility more than the rear. That was when i was running a dying power steering pump and a stock box. When the front was locked it was very difficult to turn the steering wheel. Now that i have a proper power steering system, I cant even tell when the front is locked and i am turning the wheel.
This could be my issue as well. My pump and gear box are both original (+200k miles now). What are the details on your current setup? Do you have a build thread?

Why does the steering wheel feel tight? What is the root cause of this?
From the lack of front differential action.

Furthermore, if a front locker doesn't restrict mobility, why not just install a spool up front?

Context. You would really hate not having front differential action on grippy pavement at higher speeds.

Safety reasons for the Rubicon is my guess. That's why you can only engage them in 4LO without the locker switch mod.
I understand the safety aspect. Jeep doesn't want someone jumping behind the wheel, locking the axles, then driving 70mph down the highway.
200.gif

But why doesn't Jeep give us the option to engage only the front locker when in low range?

I used to think the front locker restricted mobility more than the rear. That was when i was running a dying power steering pump and a stock box. When the front was locked it was very difficult to turn the steering wheel. Now that i have a proper power steering system, I cant even tell when the front is locked and i am turning the wheel.

To add, when my factory rear locker stripped, I spent about two seasons wheeling with only a front locker. I very rarely turned it off in the trails. Steering was never an issue.

Reactions: tworley
This could be my issue as well. My pump and gear box are both original (+200k miles now). What are the details on your current setup? Do you have a build thread?
I run a full PSC set up with ram assist and a cooler. Im from northern Illinois and based on all the wheeling i did in indiana and illinois you would probably be just fine with the high volume pump, psc gear, and a cooler.

From the lack of front differential action.
And how does this NOT limit mobility? I'm really trying to wrap my head around this from a practical standpoint. When your steering your Jeep, doesn't the wheel on the outside of the turn need to rotate faster then the inside wheel? #differentiate
Context. You would really hate not having front differential action on grippy pavement at higher speeds.
I agree, context is key here. My comment didn't account for the bigger picture.

I run a full PSC set up with ram assist and a cooler. Im from northern Illinois and based on all the wheeling i did in indiana and illinois you would probably be just fine with the high volume pump, psc gear, and a cooler.
How do you like the system? Did you get the bigger (non stock) pump?

...why does Jeep design the Rubicon lockers to engage in a certain order? Correct me if I'm wrong but, doesn't the rear have to be locked first before the front can be locked? In other words, the factory front locker cannot be engaged without the rear being locked at the same time?
Yes, the rear has to be locked before the front can be.

Safety reasons for the Rubicon is my guess.
How is not allowing the front to be locked without the rear locked a safety measure?

Gotcha. So in your experience, ram assist isn't really needed for a 35" tire? Provided the other mentioned upgrades have been added.

How do you like the system? Did you get the bigger (non stock) pump?
High volume pump, remote reservoir(a must for HV pump), -12 supply -8 return line, cooler from Blaine, ram from Blaine, and the gear box.

My only regret was buying kits from NR4x4 and not having the correct reservoir, return fitting, and the gearbox having the looser torsion bar. I lucked out on getting the correct reservoir but i still want to send my box in to get the torsion bar swapped out.

Reactions: WSS
Gotcha. So in your experience, ram assist isn't really needed for a 35" tire? Provided the other mentioned upgrades have been added.
I did just the pump, cooler and gearbox and went wheeling once. it was miles ahead of what i had previously. I ended up adding the ram and it pays off here where there are rocks for miles. I just dont think theres enough rocks in the northern midwest for it.

I did just the pump, cooler and gearbox and went wheeling once. it was miles ahead of what i had previously. I ended up adding the ram and it pays off here where there are rocks for miles. I just dont think theres enough rocks in the northern midwest for it.
I appreciate the feedback. I'm quickly realizing I need to educate myself on the benefits of steering upgrades.

Does anyone know of a "sticky" thread or something similar that digs into steering systems? Preferably one that breaks it down to the component level? I'd assume, like most systems on our Jeeps, the steering system can be built in stages, and the benefits can be measured at each stage along the way?

Or is steering one of those things that you've just gotta throw $1500 at all at once and call it a day?:rolleyes:

To add, when my factory rear locker stripped, I spent about two seasons wheeling with only a front locker. I very rarely turned it off in the trails. Steering was never an issue.
Have you done any steering upgrades that may contribute to this?

And how does this NOT limit mobility? I'm really trying to wrap my head around this from a practical standpoint. When your steering your Jeep, doesn't the wheel on the outside of the turn need to rotate faster then the inside wheel? #differentiate

Again, context. You are driving a locked front at a lower speed and usually on a lower traction surface.

However, during the time I had only a front locker I spent a few days in Moab. I never unlocked the front while on the sandpaper rocks.

However, during the time I had only a front locker I spent a few days in Moab. I never unlocked the front while on the sandpaper rocks.
Did you experience any limited mobility during that time at Moab?

Did you experience any limited mobility during that time at Moab?
No. If fact that was the trip that gave me the direct experience showing that the front locker does very little to restrict the steering, despite how it might feel at the steering wheel.

No. If fact that was the trip that gave me the direct experience showing that the front locker does very little to restrict the steering, despite how it might feel at the steering wheel.
So you're saying you came home from Moab with forearms that looked like Popeye! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition