Wrangler TJ Ball Joint Replacement

After that is done, get some 638 or 609 Loctite retaining compound and use that to seat the ball joint.

Will be removing and dimpling the ball joint bodies sometime in the next couple days. Going to go with Loctite 638 when I press them back in, per your recommendation. I want to check, would you recommend green or red for this application?

When doing the dimpling, is there any ill effect to dimpling the C instead of, or in addition too, the ball joint itself?

Thanks, I saw both green and red bottles so I mistakenly assumed that there were two options. Green it is.
Loctite is the brand so if that was not the brand, then it could be a number from a different brand which could easily not be high strength retaining compound which is what you are after.

Loctite is the brand so if that was not the brand, then it could be a number from a different brand which could easily not be high strength retaining compound which is what you are after.

I'll probably go to a brick and mortar for this one, no sense in saving a buck off Amazon if I can't be sure.

Trying to cover all my bases, hopefully the last question. Is there any particular type of metal shim stock you'd recommend in the event I need something besides dimpling and loctite? Something stronger than copper I take it?

I'm still really only worried about the one upper. The one lower should be just fine with some dimpling and the loctite. Upper may end up needing an oversize anyway...

Trying to cover all my bases, hopefully the last question. Is there any particular type of metal shim stock you'd recommend in the event I need something besides dimpling and loctite? Something stronger than copper I take it?

I'm still really only worried about the one upper. The one lower should be just fine with some dimpling and the loctite. Upper may end up needing an oversize anyway...
I wouldn't shim one. I would accept that it is screwed and use a "it's fucked, I can't fuck it any worse approach".
In that case, I would fire up the welder and using an old ball joint that I carefully turned down about 10 thou smaller, take about 3 weld passes around the outside of the hole lapping back onto the thick part of the C. That should shrink it back and the ball joint should hold it round.

That is all purely theoretical based on the fact that I remove bearing races that are pressed in with the Mig welder by running a pass around them on the inside. Shrinks them enough that they fall out.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
When you say "last question", it's never last question. Called the shop today just for shits to see if they'd be willing to make their mistake right. Was given the option of bringing the axle back and having them swap it into a housing (they'd check for sure this time to make sure inner knuckle isn't butt)

OR, (my other proposition to them) they order a full set of teraflex oversized knurled joints and I pay them the price I paid for my spicers ($100), essentially eating that discounted price but potentially getting an actual ball joint solution. That would be for the full set, so I'd likely leave the properly fitted Spicer's in and use the Teraflex in the warped upper seat. I'm leaning towards taking it back entirely even though that will be a much bigger PITA

I know this is an old write up but.....I started my front end project today which includes:
New ball joints(spicer)
new hub assemblies(tiemken)sp?
new ZJ tie rod to replace the TJ tube
New diff seals(spicee)
new ujoints(spicer)
power trax no slip

Well first off I have a HF ball joint press,,,what a pos....I had to quit because it got so bent I couldn't even use it anymore....still on the first BJ, so I checked here and found all the answers I needed,,,,,got on amazon and ordered the proper tools....now I feel at peace with the world.

Tools will be here monday....thanks guys for having an awesome site. Love it.
X2 for the cheap BJ press. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra for a good one. Also, without the angled adapter and correct other adapters this job is a PITA. Quality tools make a massive difference.

Well here’s something that happened just now. Didn’t have it lined up correctly and the install cup cut into the upper ball joint. I already ordered a new set from Amazon, couldn’t find the Spicer locally.

1618788895886.jpeg

Well here’s something that happened just now. Didn’t have it lined up correctly and the install cup cut into the upper ball joint. I already ordered a new set from Amazon, couldn’t find the Spicer locally.

View attachment 244909
I could be wrong here, but if that was the only damage, I would carefully file any high point and run it. Just my opinion. Lol

Reactions: khakitj
I could be wrong here, but if that was the only damage, I would carefully file any high point and run it. Just my opinion. Lol
Thought about it but it’s just two days for the replacement and I have a few projects to do until then.

here’s some other pics that show how much was pushed up

1618795830517.jpeg

1618795847767.jpeg

Reactions: Gollywomper