Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

I originally put in a GM hose. The slight kink eventually caused the inside of the hose to separate and block the flow. I then then put the GM flapper into the original hose. That worked okay. Later, when I had a reason to drop the tank, I fixed it correctly.

Hey guys thanks for the ideas on this thread. I had to drop the tank for a bumper swap and did the GM part "band aid" fix while I had everything down. I didn't want to reach into the tank and pull parts out. I went to gas station and "let her rip" until click-of with no splash back. Great little mod in my opinion.

I would suggest maybe modifying the original post to note marking the GM clamp/hose orientation before discussing cutting off the ends. Just a suggestion.
Anyone recommending or still doing the GM band-aid needs an enthusiastic kick to the nuts to stop willful ignorance.

I got around to fixing my spitting gas tank this weekend. I thought I'd share highlights:

Download and frequently consult the factory service manual from this site.

Remove the left rear wheel. I left the right rear on.

Dropping the tank is really not too bad (much better access than an old F-150 I did a few years ago). Use a floor jack with a long piece of plywood under the tank, so you can lower it incrementally and disconnect things without breaking them. It is not necessarily a 2-person job.

I didn't bother disconnecting the filler neck from the tank because the hoses were stuck on; I just unscrewed it from the body and let it come down with the tank.

On the advice of a different YouTube video, I just grabbed the valve and bent it downward off the neck until I felt the top tab come loose. Then lift to unseat the other three.

It's a lot of steps of disassembly and reassembly in order to spend 60 seconds of filing plastic tabs, but it's worth it. I just filled the tank completely normally for the first time since buying the Jeep.

I got around to fixing my spitting gas tank this weekend. I thought I'd share highlights:

Download and frequently consult the factory service manual from this site.

Remove the left rear wheel. I left the right rear on.

Dropping the tank is really not too bad (much better access than an old F-150 I did a few years ago). Use a floor jack with a long piece of plywood under the tank, so you can lower it incrementally and disconnect things without breaking them. It is not necessarily a 2-person job.

I didn't bother disconnecting the filler neck from the tank because the hoses were stuck on; I just unscrewed it from the body and let it come down with the tank.

On the advice of a different YouTube video, I just grabbed the valve and bent it downward off the neck until I felt the top tab come loose. Then lift to unseat the other three.

It's a lot of steps of disassembly and reassembly in order to spend 60 seconds of filing plastic tabs, but it's worth it. I just filled the tank completely normally for the first time since buying the Jeep.

I was afraid I was going to break mine during the separation - but I’m glad I stuck with it as well. The payoff is more than just the fillup, there’s a safety factor in the case of any unfortunate events.

Reactions: L J
Hmmmmm, I almost feel left out. I've never had this problem with my TJ.

Almost.

I have had it happen on my Chevy truck. Not every time though. Only at certain stations. And I just rotate the nozzle 1/4 rotation & it works fine. Go figure.

Just did mine today (2005 LJ). I kept both rear tires on. The previous owner installed a 4 inch lift, so access underneath was good enough for me. I watched a couple of videos having to do with dropping the tank to familiarize myself with the connections. Started doing it and quickly realized some of the fuel tank connections were different. Turns out Jeep changed fuel tank designs for the 05-06 Wranglers. Had I bothered to look at the service manual beforehand, I probably would've caught this. Still pretty easy though, up until it came to hammer out the fuel pump lock ring.

IMG_1906_Original.jpg

The two yellow arrows on the left point to the two lines to disconnect. You squeeze on two plastic parts on both sides to separate each line. The white arrow next door is where the electrical line is attached to the skid plate by a plastic holder. I pushed it out from the opposite side with a hammer. Do this as soon as you can to avoid putting too much stress on it as the tank is dropped.

The yellow arrow in the middle is where the electrical connection lives. In videos I saw, this connection was in the same area where the two left arrows are at. This confused me at first since I was looking for it and it was nowhere to be found. The security tab needs to be pushed out to remove the clip.

Not pictured (forgot) for the top right yellow arrow is where the vapor line disconnection needs to occur. I reached it by going through the lower wheel well cover on the passenger side. It's a bit tight and you need to press down on the clip to pull out the line.

Not pictured above: The plastic fuel filler bezel does not need to come out. Just remove the four torx screws (T25) that hold the fuel hose in place. Also, as noted in the service manual, you'll need to cut the plastic tie wrap that secures the rear axle vent hose to the fuel hose.

IMG_1905.jpg

I did this with about a 1/4 tank of gas. The weight was manageable, but I probably should've taken it down a bit more. I used some scrap sandpaper I had lying around to do the job on those ridges.

Last edited:
Chris,
I did this mod, it's a miracle, I feel as though I have a brand new jeep, I never thought the click of the gas handle could sound so sweet without have fuel splash down the side of my paint and on to the ground or worse my shoes! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reactions: Chris
This is definately a fix. I did mine over a year ago and have had no more issues. Mine was stuck shut so it took me forever to fill up.

My only issue filling up is only being about to get 15 gallons in my tank when it's completely empty. It's been like this since my last trip to big bear and my gas tank/skid took a BIG dent to the passenger side on the rocks. If I park with my drivers tire up in the curb as I fill it I can squeeze another gallon into it. New gas tank skid a coming after the body lift. Hopefully the plastic tank with go back to shape lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know it's old but thanks for posting this! I have the same issue and didn't realize how badly my skid was bent. I have to do rear shocks so I figured I'd take down the tank, re-bend the skid, install the filler hose, and try to save the shock bolts :) Hopefully I'll get another gallon or so in the tank afterward!

I know it's old but thanks for posting this! I have the same issue and didn't realize how badly my skid was bent. I have to do rear shocks so I figured I'd take down the tank, re-bend the skid, install the filler hose, and try to save the shock bolts :) Hopefully I'll get another gallon or so in the tank afterward!
I don't recommend you waste any time/money replacing a filler hose that is not the problem. Just fix the valve (which IS the problem) since you'll have the tank down anyway.

Reactions: rasband
I have this happen on my Jeep constantly — not even when it’s a full tank either, 3$ into filling and it overflows sometimes .... I pull the nozzle out a bit

Reactions: Chris
I don't recommend you waste any time/money replacing a filler hose that is not the problem. Just fix the valve (which IS the problem) since you'll have the tank down anyway.

I guess I’m confused. I’m replacing the filler hose because the gas station pump doesn’t stop on it’s own, and if I’m not paying close attention it overflows. I thought the filler hose was the solution? The “15 gallons” I figured was because my tank is hanging crooked from the passenger side of the skid being pushed up, and I’m probably not ever using the last few gallons.

I guess I’m confused. I’m replacing the filler hose because the gas station pump doesn’t stop on it’s own, and if I’m not paying close attention it overflows. I thought the filler hose was the solution? The “15 gallons” I figured was because my tank is hanging crooked from the passenger side of the skid being pushed up, and I’m probably not ever using the last few gallons.

The filler hose solves a symptom, but the actual issue is the little plastic piece inside the tank that swelled with prolonged exposure to gas.

That is the equivalent of getting a nail in your tire and stopping every so often to put air back in when the tire gets low. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

Reactions: rasband

Are you talking about changing the filler hose to the GM filler hose, with the little flapper in it?

Thats what these guys are referring to about fixing the problem, not the symptom. With the GM hose, it will still do the same thing, but hopefully the little metal flapper in the hose will stop it from burping out. I’ve read some posts where the GM hose doesn’t stop it from burping out all the time. If you remove the tank and pull the plunger thing and do what the video says, you will fix it and not need the GM hose.

I may have missed it, but what year is your Jeep?

The filler hose solves a symptom, but the actual issue is the little plastic piece inside the tank that swelled with prolonged exposure to gas.

Actually, the filler hose may or may not even address the *symptom* (let alone the problem) - it depends entirely on the position in which the tank valve is stuck.

I first encountered this issue 4 or 5 years ago on my 2005 Rubicon. When filling up, the gas pump would constantly kick off unless I slowed flow to a minimum, and even then it often still did it. A really high flow gas pump might not kick off quickly enough and back splash would occur. At that time, the consensus opinion was that the GM filler hose would "solve" the problem, so I installed one. It made a *slight* improvement, so fill-ups were *slightly* less frustrating.

Over time, the problem got worse and worse, to the point where I was back to where I started from. By this time, the actual cause of the problem started to be circulated, along with info on how to fix it. I dropped the tank, fixed the valve, and haven't had a problem since.

~John