Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Depends on how far down the hose the bead of the neck is. I prefer the clamp maybe 4" down from the end of the hose so it's firmly on there. It's okay when it scoots off once in a while but when the tank is about ready to be full I like that clamp to stay put. Your mileage may vary though.
If you prefer the clamp 4" from the end of the hose, you won't get that with any TJ hoses. The filler neck on the tanks, all of them isn't much more than half that. If you can get the clamp tight on the hose where the hose is on the correct side of the bead, that is firmly on there. Stop being silly.

If you prefer the clamp 4" from the end of the hose, you won't get that with any TJ hoses. The filler neck on the tanks, all of them isn't much more than half that. If you can get the clamp tight on the hose where the hose is on the correct side of the bead, that is firmly on there. Stop being silly.

When I typed that last night and read it to my wife before posting we both laughed and laughed. Living in isolation as we are it was something so simple and yet fun.

Just got my GM hose in, looks kinda small, but seems to be identical to the pics on here. Hopefully will have time today to tackle this project!

I did see where dropping the tank and sanding on the original flapper was the real fix, just decided to take the path of least resistance 😅

At least I thought it was, this is a tight fit kinda job for sure lol. I’ve got the GM hose cut and installed, only thing is it seems to be pinched some instead of bending. Is this normal for this temp fix?

Now I’m reading the opposite of what I’d seen before.
before I started this I read about how it was a terrible job to drop the tank, now I’m reading the mid pages of the thread where everyone’s saying it’s actually not bad with a nearly empty tank. (Face palm). I usually read(reed) through most threads I search;
but this one might wind up biting me if this kink in the hose causes and issue.

That kink may likely restrict the flow and kick your fuel off and puke out the filler tube, just like one of the original problems.

That kink may likely restrict the flow and kick your fuel off and puke out the filler tube, just like one of the original problems.
That’s what I was thinking too, unfortunately my tank was nearly topped off, but I had to test it, so I took it and put 1/3 of a gallon into it before it topped off. So I won’t get a chance to post progress or problems until I drive the Jeep. I don’t see a problem with that!😁

serious question, why does this have to be a “band-aid” fix? If people are using it long term and it works, what’s the big deal?

the only thing I could imagine, is that the factory plunger will keep gas from emptying the tank if you flip the Jeep, where this might not work as well For that??

serious question, why does this have to be a “band-aid” fix? If people are using it long term and it works, what’s the big deal?

the only thing I could imagine, is that the factory plunger will keep gas from emptying the tank if you flip the Jeep, where this might not work as well For that??
Fuel spitting back out the tank isnt the only issue. Extremely slow fill is as well. It juat depends on the position the rollover valve is stuck. So, while your hose might work for spitting fuel in your face, if your valve geta stuck in the opposite position, you now have slow fill which the flapper does absolutely nothing for. This is what happened when I did the band aid. So sanding the rollover valve tabs down fixes both issues for good.

Last edited:

The problem is the band-aid does not work every time. It does not solve all of the problems. The modification of the plunger valve works every single time. The reason that it works is due to there not being anything in the filler neck hose that changed so why "fix" something that didn't change? What did change was function of the plunger due to altered tolerances that affect how it moves back and forth under spring pressure in the cage.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
👍🏻 Thanks for that, guess I’ll be doing that mod if my plunger decides to get stuck in the upward position and This new filler valve decides to crap out on me.

👍🏻 Thanks for that, guess I’ll be doing that mod if my plunger decides to get stuck in the upward position and This new filler valve decides to crap out on me.
When you get a nail in your tire that causes a slow leak, do you just keep adding air because you seem like the type that would just keep adding air instead of fixing the leak.

As someone who's figuring out issues with my own custom filler neck. What is the purpose of that valve? Why can't it just be removed?