Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

It's now "hammering" up the vent and splashing out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=water+hammer
Edit: I don't want to muck up this thread. I'll be updating my build thread soon.
Are you venting to the filler with a large enough ID hose?

fuel_nozzle_cutting_off_vapors.jpg

Are you venting to the filler with a large enough ID hose?

View attachment 152796

-6 AN, so 0.34″ ID. The issue is happening when I try to "top off" the tank and fit an extra gallon or two in and the fuel level momentarily raises to the level of the return hose. I'm thinking I either need to add an expansion chamber (section of larger ID hose) inline or connect 2 vent lines to the tank and put them in an inverted Y.

-6 AN, so 0.34″ ID. The issue is happening when I try to "top off" the tank and fit an extra gallon or two in and the fuel level momentarily raises to the level of the return hose. I'm thinking I either need to add an expansion chamber (section of larger ID hose) inline or connect 2 vent lines to the tank and put them in an inverted Y.
In a tank build for a local chevy, I created a momentary overfill space using 1.5" ID rubber hose for the entire vent line to control the flow. It is a feasible solution.

When you get a nail in your tire that causes a slow leak, do you just keep adding air because you seem like the type that would just keep adding air instead of fixing the leak.
“BeCaUsE yOu SeEm LiKe ThE tYpE tHaT wOuLd” hahaha
if it works for me than what’s your problem with it?

The same exact problem I have with putting air in a tire that has a nail in it. Works perfectly to keep it inflated. Does not address the actual problem.
Take that up with the person who posted the fix/bandaid on the thread bro. Don’t like it? suggest it be took down. If it works for me I’ll praise it, if it craps out I’ll update the thread so whoever it may concern can be aware and have one more review of the GM hose. My plunger is stuck down, so until I run the tank close to empty and want to drop it, I’ll rely on the hose to keep it from spraying gas on me.

Also, I prefer the patch on the inside of the tire if it’s safe/possible.

Last edited:
Take that up with the person who posted the fix(bandaid or not) on the thread bro. Don’t like it, suggest it be took down. If it works for me I’ll praise it, if it craps out I’ll update the thread so whoever it may concern can be aware and have one more review of the GM hose. My plunger is stuck down, so until I rung the tank close to empty and want to drop it, I’ll rely on the hose to keep it from spraying gas on me.
Can I interest you in a cheap portable air compressor that runs on 12 volt?

The back and forth of this thread has inspired me to drop my tank and fix it. I did the GM fix a couple years ago and it only works maybe 75% of the time.

Reactions: rasband and Zorba
The back and forth of this thread has inspired me to drop my tank and fix it. I did the GM fix a couple years ago and it only works maybe 75% of the time.
It sounds to me the REAL fix would be to remove the troublesome part altogether, and replace it with the GM hose?

In the meantime, since I'm going to have my filler apart to install a locking door anyway, I ordered the GM hose for the interim. It may or may not be a "Real Fix (tm)", but it isn't gonna hurt anything.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled flame-fest! :geek:

It sounds to me the REAL fix would be to remove the troublesome part altogether, and replace it with the GM hose?

In the meantime, since I'm going to have my filler apart to install a locking door anyway, I ordered the GM hose for the interim. It may or may not be a "Real Fix (tm)", but it isn't gonna hurt anything.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled flame-fest! :geek:
Just so you know, the real fix most are referring to is to drop the tank, and sand the edges of the plastic valve that the hose attaches to on the bottom. Ethanol in the gas causes the plastic to swell over time and the valve to not work properly - the regular Tj hose has zero issues.

Sadly doesn't work after it's already been ruined.

Very true. Not to mention ethanol free gas is seemingly hard to get depending on where you live. I'm fortunate enough to have multiple stations nearby, but where we lived before, you couldn't find one within 30 miles it seemed.

Reactions: 4lowcreep
Just so you know, the real fix most are referring to is to drop the tank, and sand the edges of the plastic valve that the hose attaches to on the bottom. Ethanol in the gas causes the plastic to swell over time and the valve to not work properly - the regular Tj hose has zero issues.
Yes, I understand that - and it'll get done "eventually". I'm just finishing up week one of owing this beast!