Wrangler vs TJ

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone else notice that on certain part sites (Moog, Rock Auto, etc.), you're given the option of entering your vehicle information, and after choosing Year and Make, you're given the options of Wrangler or TJ? I've found that sometimes choosing TJ gives fewer results in their site than choosing Wrangler.

Anyone know why this happens? Which do you usually pick?

Reactions: harbiison
Yea, I've noticed that too - although I wasn't aware of differing results, which is just silly. I usually select "TJ" because that's how I think of the thing. "Wrangler" is kind of a silly name, its a "Jeep" as far as I'm concerned. *shrug*
whatever.gif

Anyone else notice that on certain part sites (Moog, Rock Auto, etc.), you're given the option of entering your vehicle information, and after choosing Year and Make, you're given the options of Wrangler or TJ? I've found that sometimes choosing TJ gives fewer results in their site than choosing Wrangler.

Anyone know why this happens? Which do you usually pick?
The Canadian TJs were a little odd...
terrance-and-phillip-south-park-vector-800x566-1.jpg

Revolution Gear and Axle is one of the worst websites for this . It significantly changed your parts search results

• Wow
Reactions: SSTJ
A few years ago when I decided to buy a JK.. I went to a dealership and 3 salesmen were out in lot… I rolled up and passed about 20 JK’s…. One of the guys asked what I was looking for… I said a JK… he said I don’t know if we have any of those😳… I then pointed at the lot full of JK’s….. he then replied oh.. a wrangler!!

The first year of the Wrangler (YJ) was in 1987 when it replaced the CJ.
The further identification of TJ was when the Jeep Wrangler changed from the YJ to the TJ in 1996.

Thanks. I guess I just don't get why, if I've already said it is a 1997 Jeep _______, it asks me whether it is a Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Wrangler, or TJ.

Thanks. I guess I just don't get why, if I've already said it is a 1997 Jeep _______, it asks me whether it is a Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Wrangler, or TJ.
The Canadian Wrangler wasn't called a Wrangler. It was called a TJ due to some copyright issue at the time.

Yea, I've noticed that too - although I wasn't aware of differing results, which is just silly. I usually select "TJ" because that's how I think of the thing. "Wrangler" is kind of a silly name, its a "Jeep" as far as I'm concerned. *shrug*
View attachment 278760
The reason for the choice maybe because Wranglers were not sold in Canada (sold as TJ's) but I cannot imagine why a different selection, except maybe because TJ and Wrangler have different accessories like daytime running lights being required in Canada.

Reactions: SSTJ and Zorba
The TJ designation isn’t as universally accepted/known as CJ was - even in the automotive industry it is an outlier of sorts until you get into Jeep specific suppliers.

Wrangler is far more widely accepted, and more parts will be assigned to link to that word- bear in mind it is a global market place but most of them were sold here - if the TJ isn’t a household word here it certainly isn’t as familiar to guys in China brokering parts to resellers.

Ironically I did not like the new name Wrangler, I was a huge CJ fan, and Wranglers in 1987 were the jeans you got if your mom would not buy Levi’s, and Levi’s meant fitting in, and to an 18 year old fitting in is just about everything.

Yea, wrangler makes me think of jeans or even the much much later Ruger Wrangler 22. But when I decided to look for a "Jeep", I looked for a "Jeep", not a "Wrangler". Didn't even know it was called that until after I bought the thing. I actually did know it was a TJ vs a YJ.

But full disclosure here: I didn't give a damn about fitting in when I was 18, and sure as Hell don't now! Let's see how many people are shocked and surprised by THAT pronouncement! ;) :D

The reason for the choice maybe because Wranglers were not sold in Canada (sold as TJ's) but I cannot imagine why a different selection, except maybe because TJ and Wrangler have different accessories like daytime running lights being required in Canada.
Sahara TJ was sold as a Renegade in Australia because Toyota already had Sahara name as a top selling model!

Reactions: harbiison
Yea, wrangler makes me think of jeans or even the much much later Ruger Wrangler 22. But when I decided to look for a "Jeep", I looked for a "Jeep", not a "Wrangler". Didn't even know it was called that until after I bought the thing. I actually did know it was a TJ vs a YJ.

But full disclosure here: I didn't give a damn about fitting in when I was 18, and sure as Hell don't now! Let's see how many
people are shocked and surprised by THAT pronouncement! ;) :D
Wrangler makes me think of Heath Ledger and a mountain that was broken! lol

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
I got me a Canadian TJ eh. Has a big TJ decal on the side instead of Wrangler and DRLs. It also had a block heater when I still had a 4.0. It also had no provisions for a soft top, like the frame brackets or the rear tailgate bar mount. Though it has a freedom unit gauge cluster, not a metric one. Not sure if that was changed out when it came to the states.

I was walking back to my Jeep in a parking lot a while back, and passed a guy pulling out of a space in a nicely stock, grey hardtop LJ. His window was open so I said, ”Nice LJ!” He looked at me deadpan and said “What?”

Edit: After thinking about this, maybe that was @Chris…