Wrangler vs TJ

The TJ designation isn’t as universally accepted/known as CJ was - even in the automotive industry it is an outlier of sorts until you get into Jeep specific suppliers.

Wrangler is far more widely accepted, and more parts will be assigned to link to that word- bear in mind it is a global market place but most of them were sold here - if the TJ isn’t a household word here it certainly isn’t as familiar to guys in China brokering parts to resellers.

Ironically I did not like the new name Wrangler, I was a huge CJ fan, and Wranglers in 1987 were the jeans you got if your mom would not buy Levi’s, and Levi’s meant fitting in, and to an 18 year old fitting in is just about everything.

I was never a fan of re-naming the Jeep CJ to "Wrangler" either. I think they should have went with "YJ" and then "TJ." "Wrangler" sounds more like a trim package to me, like "Renegade" or "Laredo." I took off the silly "Sport" decals my Jeep came with and now it looks like I have a Jeep TJ Wrangler (as opposed to a Jeep Wrangler Sport). That rolls off the tongue much better and sounds similar to an older Jeep CJ Renegade.

I have tried to find out the history on how AMC settled on the name "Wrangler," but I can't find any information. There must be a story behind that.

Does anyone know?

thumbnail_KIMG0295.jpg

Last edited:
I was never a fan of re-naming the Jeep CJ to "Wrangler" either...

I have tried to find out the history on how AMC settled on the name "Wrangler," but I can't find any information. There must be a story behind that.

Does anyone know?
Rather than an interesting story, I'd bet the name wrangler is the product of some market research committee or focus group. I prefer TJ or Jeep TJ but at that parts counter that usually doesn't get me anywhere so, there at least, its a wrangler.

Reactions: MikekiM
I was never a fan of re-naming the Jeep CJ to "Wrangler" either. I think they should have went with "YJ" and then "TJ." "Wrangler" sounds more like a trim package to me, like "Renegade" or "Laredo." I took off the silly "Sport" decals my Jeep came with and now it looks like I have a Jeep TJ Wrangler (as opposed to a Jeep Wrangler Sport). That rolls off the tongue much better and sounds similar to an older Jeep CJ Renegade.

Does anyone know?

View attachment 278904
I’d say Chrysler was more behind that.

I always choose Wrangler in the dropdown because of the reasons described. Most parts databases are being put together by people that don't know anything about a Jeep or it's model designations. Just like if you're shopping for a part for a 1991 325i, it's not going to show up under "E30" unless you're on a BMW specific enthusiast or supplier site.

Googling "Canada Jeep TJ" brought up a bunch of photos of JL's. I'd like to see what that looked like without the Wrangler name. I've also never been a fan of the Wrangler thing and have considered custom badging more inline with historical convention...my favorite would be TJ-6 but I'm on the fence about whether that would imply to some people that I stretched a TJ vs bought an LJ.

I’d say Chrysler was more behind that.

Why would you say that?

The 1987 Jeep Wrangler was strictly an AMC design. I think AMC was trying to distance themselves from the bad press the CJs were getting at the time (rollovers). They wanted a new name and a new face (square lights) to let people know that this wasn't the same CJ.

I would like to know why they chose to call the 1987 re-design a "Wrangler." Is there a story behind the name? Were other names considered?

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Why would you say that?

The 1987 Jeep Wrangler was strictly an AMC design. I think AMC was trying to distance themselves from the bad press the CJs were getting at the time (rollovers). They wanted a new name and a new face (square lights) to let people know that this wasn't the same CJ.

I would like to know why they chose to call the 1987 re-design a "Wrangler." Is there a story behind the name? Were other names considered?
I don’t know ...I just know that Lee Iococca paid $600 million for jeep And I think branding the product differently was a conversation somebody had.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The first year of the Wrangler (YJ) was in 1987 when it replaced the CJ.
The further identification of TJ was when the Jeep Wrangler changed from the YJ to the TJ in 1996.
1997 actually. while the YJ was continued to be built and sold in 1996, it was still sold as a ‘95. There is no 1996 Jeep Wrangler. At least that’s how I’ve always heard it.

I don’t know ...I just know that Lee Iococca paid $600 million for jeep And I think branding the product differently was a conversation somebody had.

I don't think Lee Iococca cared much about the CJ/Wrangler.

He wanted the Jeep Grand Cherokee design AMC was working on.

1997 actually. while the YJ was continued to be built and sold in 1996, it was still sold as a ‘95. There is no 1996 Jeep Wrangler. At least that’s how I’ve always heard it.
The TJ was sold as early as Jan 1996 and there are a few members that have vehicle IDs that reflect the early production dates.
Yes.... there was no actual 1996 model only left over '95 YJs sold in 1996; my family owned one of those for several years.

The Grand Cherokee was an important vehicle.

Sadly, dead men tell no tales. You never know where an idea can come from- janitors, children, wives of executives- you never know.

What is significant is the vision that a less utilitarian was the future was key- the question was how much do you refine it- they figured it out for sure.

I remember Lee appearing in a Chrysler commercial at that time saying something about "Jeep coming home where it belongs" or some such...

The Grand Cherokee was an important vehicle.

Sadly, dead men tell no tales. You never know where an idea can come from- janitors, children, wives of executives- you never know.

What is significant is the vision that a less utilitarian was the future was key- the question was how much do you refine it- they figured it out for sure.
I guess they did, they sure sold like hotcakes. I always liked the regular Cherokee better myself.

Reactions: AndyG
I guess they did, they sure sold like hotcakes. I always liked the regular Cherokee better myself.
Had one. Super dependable.

I saw an xJ yesterday- the XJ was closer to a 4 door wrangler than Chrysler realized possibly. Really take a look- convertible top and it would have been a stud.

Reactions: MikekiM and Zorba
The cease in production of the XJ and the later introduction of the KL was a seriously bad decision for Jeep.
The present vehicle wearing the Cherokee name is on a rebadged FIAT chassis which is a sad ending for one of Jeeps most capable and best selling utility vehicles.
There is no comparison between the KL and the XJ....

Last edited:
I think the name Wrangler was to fit in with the rest of their "wild west" naming scheme at the time. Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer, Comanche, Willys Wagon, save for a couple odd balls like Gladiator or Jeepster.

I don't mind the Wrangler name, and I like the stylized SPORT on my '98. Reminds me of when cars were "fun" themed, before the onset of giant "GRRRRRR!" electric razor grills with bloated vehicle dimentions.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

Yeah, so do I.

The Grand Cherokee was intended to replace the Cherokee. But the old Cherokee was still selling so well, Chrysler decided to keep it going.

Yeah, so do I.

The Grand Cherokee was intended to replace the Cherokee. But the old Cherokee was still selling so well, Chrysler decided to keep it going.
Yea, I remember that. The Cherokee looked like a Jeep, the Grand, not so much. Sorta like the Range Rover Evoque - that thing doesn't look like a Range/Land Rover at all.

Reactions: TJRick