WRG winch rope on the website!

Received my red line today in the mail. Very fast service from BMB and the USPS, thanks.

Also included was a small BMB gift; was not sure if it was lip balm or a suppository in case the rope breaks !!

There are two, maybe one of each !! (I know you guys just want a picture, right ??)

Last edited:
yeah... I shoulda phrased that better. Final pieces to phase 1 of my build. I've convinced myself that phase 2 is a few years down the line....

Winch line and accessories made it in today; am I gonna be ok using this fairlead like this? Isnt ideal.... but about as good as I can think of.

IMG_9451.jpg

IMG_9452.jpg

IMG_9453.jpg

Reactions: Desert Roamer
That distance is perfectly fine. Only thing that matters is the rope making contact with sharp(er) edges.

Some winch mounting plates or bumpers don't have a large enough opening and need clearancing.

Long as your rope touches nothing but the fairlead you're golden.

And I don't see any issues on your pictures.

-Mac

That distance is perfectly fine. Only thing that matters is the rope making contact with sharp(er) edges.

Some winch mounting plates or bumpers don't have a large enough opening and need clearancing.

Long as your rope touches nothing but the fairlead you're golden.

And I don't see any issues on your pictures.

-Mac

My OCD is annoyed that the safety thimble isnt able to fully seat into the fairlead pocket due to the stubby stinger being in the way; if I shifted the fairlead mount rearward by ~1"; it would get alot closer to fully sitting flat in the pocket.

Seeing the gap between the fairlead and the winch; would it be advisable to just re-drill new mounting holes in the fairlead mounting plate and shift it ~1" back (closer towards the winch)?

Your fairlead mount sits higher up off the deck than mine does. Moving the fairlead down would likely allow the thimble to clear the hoop and sit more nicely.
20231022_125135.jpg

My fairlead is the same as yours, minus the thimble carrier above it.

Reactions: macleanflood
if I shifted the fairlead mount rearward by ~1"; it would get alot closer to fully sitting flat in the pocket.

Only minor concern I would have with moving it back is if and only if you were winching to something below your Jeep the rope might contact the front lip of the bumper.

I agree with @jjvw - see if you can move it down!

-Mac

Only minor concern I would have with moving it back is if and only if you were winching to something below your Jeep the rope might contact the front lip of the bumper.

-Mac

Move it down or find another mount that has a lower opening. And some gusseting. Mine was from Motobilt about 5-6 years ago.

Move it down or find another mount that has a lower opening. And some gusseting. Mine was from Motobilt about 5-6 years ago.

I was just looking at the motobilt mount with gusseting; I think I'll order that and give it a shot. This is a barnes 4wd mount so I think i'm out like $20 bucks if I have to toss it. I think lower would also be more ideal for getting the fairlead off the line on the first wrap around the drum.

Seeing the gap between the fairlead and the winch; would it be advisable to just re-drill new mounting holes in the fairlead mounting plate and shift it ~1" back (closer towards the winch)?

We do similar all the time. Probably have to take the bumper off to use the pattern in it to drill the fairlead mount. May have to trim some off the back when it hits the upturned lip as well.

-Mac

Only hurts your feelings and some paint, that smooth front rounded edge on the bumper won't hurt the line.