WRG winch rope on the website!

One person did. I didn't like it then and still don't. Not my circus, not my monkey so he can have it however he likes.

Were I to do it over again today and needed to have the thimble off to the side, I think would have two round posts coming up off the deck to capture the thimble at the base similar to your fairlead. That would eliminate the eye of the thimble from being used for securing it in place and potentially damaging the eye and damaging a soft shackle. But this redesign requires some thought and care given to holding the thimble while snugging up the rope.

Currently, I have a thick piece of rubber hose around the post to protect the thimble.

The little "shelf" on the WRG fairlead is a more direct and elegant design and is a foolproof way of storing and protecting the thimble.

Yeah; I ordered the motobilt gusseted unit and will play around with fairlead to winch depth as well as the lower fairlead position to get it dialed in.. I realize it’s mostly pointless as long as the thimble is secure and protected… I’m just fixated on it looking right.

Now; I need to get a recovery bag together to keep in the jeep. I assume a pair of shackles, tree saver, and a snatch block is the bare minimum?

Now; I need to get a recovery bag together to keep in the jeep. I assume a pair of shackles, tree saver, and a snatch block is the bare minimum?

Long as you're in the land of trees that's a good start.

Recovery rings are "better" than a snatch block...just a smooth aluminum ring.

I'd add in a 20' strap... probably 2".

A nice kinetic rope also is a good addition. But learn the right ways to use one.

And a fire extinguisher and good trauma kit.

-Mac

P.S. here we go with another dozen pages...

Yeah; I ordered the motobilt gusseted unit and will play around with fairlead to winch depth as well as the lower fairlead position to get it dialed in.. I realize it’s mostly pointless as long as the thimble is secure and protected… I’m just fixated on it looking right.

Something to consider, that I didn't when building my bumper, is that it would be wise to set the face of the the fairlead back a bit from the face of the bumper. Doing so protects the fairlead from the rocks which in turn protects the rope.

Recovery rings are "better" than a snatch block...just a smooth aluminum ring.
Too many variables for that be true. Just like a roller fairlead, nothing is better than something that turns.
I'd add in a 20' strap... probably 2".

A nice kinetic rope also is a good addition. But learn the right ways to use one.

And a fire extinguisher and good trauma kit.

-Mac

P.S. here we go with another dozen pages...

Something to consider, that I didn't when building my bumper, is that it would be wise to set the face of the the fairlead back a bit from the face of the bumper. Doing so protects the fairlead from the rocks which in turn protects the rope.

Fortunately, I think the only direction i'd be planning to shift the fairlead is further back, not forward, and as it sits now, its more or less flush with the face of the bumper.
Too many variables for that be true. Just like a roller fairlead, nothing is better than something that turns.

MrBlaine; any ETA on your in house snatch block? I remember reading that you had one in development. If yours is even remotely close to release.... I'd probably hold off and grab that once its ready.

MrBlaine; any ETA on your in house snatch block? I remember reading that you had one in development. If yours is even remotely close to release.... I'd probably hold off and grab that once its ready.
I had it going. Then I needed to place a knuckle order, my knuckle machinist died, new knuckle machinist has taken a very long time to get up to speed, then the casting engineer ordered the wrong parts and shipped them to the new machinist, replacement order got expedited, but the quantity is wrong, machinist then proceeded to use 25% of the short order to learn on which put me down 45% less that I should have. In the meantime, the short order was not for the parts we were out of but, we ran out of the wrong parts waiting on the right parts to be sent over so we had him start on the wrong ones and he still hasn't touched the original wrong parts that we have been out of since last March and at this point I have no confidence we will get them before this coming March. I will also run out of the current parts long before he gets done with anything.

So, no, I have no idea now. It was going very well right up until it dropped onto the backburner of a machine shop that won't hire any help.

I had it going. Then I needed to place a knuckle order, my knuckle machinist died, new knuckle machinist has taken a very long time to get up to speed, then the casting engineer ordered the wrong parts and shipped them to the new machinist, replacement order got expedited, but the quantity is wrong, machinist then proceeded to use 25% of the short order to learn on which put me down 45% less that I should have. In the meantime, the short order was not for the parts we were out of but, we ran out of the wrong parts waiting on the right parts to be sent over so we had him start on the wrong ones and he still hasn't touched the original wrong parts that we have been out of since last March and at this point I have no confidence we will get them before this coming March. I will also run out of the current parts long before he gets done with anything.

So, no, I have no idea now. It was going very well right up until it dropped onto the backburner of a machine shop that won't hire any help.

I'd read about the loss of your friend and machinist; sorry to hear the replacement still isnt meeting expectations.

I'll grab something mediocre to get me by till yours is ready for the real world.

I'd read about the loss of your friend and machinist; sorry to hear the replacement still isnt meeting expectations.
Thank you.
I'll grab something mediocre to get me by till yours is ready for the real world.
Amazon has an astounding plethora of the knock off rings. A cheap one of those will tide you over until or unless you plan on using it all the time.

New winch line colors! A bright orange and silver,

Between yellow, carrot, orange .. folks have very nice options for bright and visible colors from BMB. I think Green and Carrot are still my favourites.

1704906291447.png

I wanted to follow up and let everyone know what wound up working for me; the issues was 100% that the Barnes 4WD fairlead mount was too tall.

I went with the gusseted MotoBilt fairlead mount, and feel like I wound up with a PERFECT fit with the WRG fairlead and safety thimble.

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9521.jpg

I'll add that this combination got me enough "tuck" of the fairlead that its protected by the bumper and winch guard on the Barnes 4WD stubby bumper.

Another note, the opening in the motobilt fairlead mount was a bit too small vertically, but nothing a flap wheel in a grinder couldnt clean up, I went ahead and rounded over the contact points while opening it up, to hopefully protect the winch line should it ever contact.

Anyone have any tips for un spooling a Warn synthetic rope that PO respooled sloppily and is now pinched and won't unspool?
Never needed the winch until 2 weeks ago and could only get 10 feet unrolled before hitting the pinch