How to install winch safety thimble?

Couple of things to add. In my former life I was a crane operator/heavy loads rigger qualified in the nuclear industry. We used synthetic slings and stored them out of sunlight when they were not being used due to UV degradation. I assume the synthetic winch rope is Kevlar; same concern as poly. As mrblaine mentioned, sharp edges or corners should be padded to prevent abrasion. Used fire hose cut into 12" sections is great for this. Another safety item that I see many violating is standing to the side of the steel winch load line under tension, i.e. in the line of fire. If that line snaps, the elastic tension/stored energy under load can cut you in two, take an eye out, etc..

Last edited:
Couple of things to add. In my former life I was a crane operator/heavy loads rigger qualified in the nuclear industry. We used synthetic slings and stored them out of sunlight when they were not being used due to UV degradation. I assume the synthetic winch rope is Kevlar; same concern as poly. As mrblaine mentioned, sharp edges or corners should be padded to prevent abrasion. Used fire hose cut into 12" sections is great for this. Another safety item that I see many violating is standing to the side of the winch load line under tension, i.e. in the line of fire. If that line snaps, the elastic tension/stored energy under load can cut you in two, take an eye out, etc..
Kevlar is a brand. The fiber is aramid. There are some aramid lines, most are UHMWPPF which is what Dyneema is. That is an unusual sling if the base fiber isn't covered with a protective sleeve.

Kevlar is a brand. The fiber is aramid. There are some aramid lines, most are UHMWPPF which is what Dyneema is. That is an unusual sling if the base fiber isn't covered with a protective sleeve.

This is the make of sling we used almost exclusively. >>https://slingmax.com/ I just read the info. on Dyneema; pretty impressive.

Last edited: