Winch cable or synthetic rope?

The TRE rope is much nicer than the Warn rope
I picked up a M8000S used/cheap and the rope isn't very impressive looking, also they cram 100' on that spool and it's very full

If you still need more convincing, when your wire rope or cable breaks 40’ in you lost 40’ and you need wire clamps or fist grips to repair the end. When your synthetic rope breaks you can easily do a deep bury splice and you only lose a few feet of length and your rope is good as before it broke.

If you still need more convincing, when your wire rope or cable breaks 40’ in you lost 40’ and you need wire clamps or fist grips to repair the end. When your synthetic rope breaks you can easily do a deep bury splice and you only lose a few feet of length and your rope is good as before it broke.
That's a real good point. I need to learn how to splice.

I read through this thread. I see no one has mentioned Masterpull superline ultralite XD. If you are trully looking for the best synthetic line, with almost none of the drawbacks of traditional synthetic rope. Than this is what your looking for. Its a purely soft shackle system. No metal hooks. They also come coated with Dyneema. This is very durable, Uv stable and won't pinch when you pull it in dirty or get a cross spool. Its honestly amazing stuff. They only charge 1 leg and a hand for it too. So you can still make a living after you get it. There's always a trade off. Check them out at http://www.masterpull.com/

I ended up going with 85' of TRE. I absolutely love it and can't believe I hung onto cable for so long.

I ended up going with 85' of TRE. I absolutely love it and can't believe I hung onto cable for so long.
Gotcha, Nothing wrong with the TRE at all. Once you see the price of the superline ultralight XD you'll laugh at me. Try 650 for just line haha. I'm just suprised how few people even know about masterpull.

• Wow
Reactions: Claybirdd
Good God man! That's such a high price it better winch itself.

No I hadn't ever heard of them till now. But damn, they sure are proud of their product.

Reactions: DrDmoney

No I hadn't ever heard of them till now. But damn, they sure are proud of their product.
Well it doesn't require cleaning as its fully Sheathed. Its also prestreched so its a bit stronger than traditional synthetic. And the Uv protection means unless you cut or rub an opening in the sheath its pretty much the last line you'll have to buy. Also the benifit of it not pinching. Its trully incredible stuff.

I'm about to order some new lone for my winch as my current cable has a bad spot 40' in. Help convince me I should go with TRE synthetic rope over cable.

It's so expensive and cable seems much more durable. If I go with rope is it really worth it to get the safety thimble? And do I have to get rid of my rollers and buy an aluminum fairlead? Again just more expenses.

However if they are truly worth it then I'm OK with the purchase.
TRE = Real recovery gear. Worth every penny. Yes, get the safety Thimble. No worry about rocks, mud, sand or trees. This Synthetic rope from TRE are top notch. Recommended because i do use it!

That was EXACTLY my thought as well. For that kind of money, it needs to come with a guy permanently attached to it to give a complete "hands off white glove" winching experience!

Reactions: Claybirdd
I have gotten so many little cuts and/or pokes from the raw end of the steel cable. No more cuts with rope
That's one thing I really look forward to. I kinda wish I had of gotten the safety thimble though. Using the hook seems archaic now.

Reactions: DrDmoney