What synthetic rope should I get?

Avoid the thin stainless thimbles. Avoid the heavy tube thimbles if you plan on an aluminum fairlead. Rope should be 3/8" and watch the bargain brands. They use a lower strength fiber so the breaking strength is lower for the same diameters. You're looking for something in the 19-20ish thousand pound range in 3/8". Avoid the tubular abrasion guards, they aren't. If you can't find a rope without one, remove it before installation. Avoid Warn ropes. They have a very bulky guard and the length will need to be cut down. We've been cutting 20 feet off.
@Jerry Bransford had posted a video about the tubular abrasion guards on synthetic ropes at one point, after watching it I remember thinking I need to go cut mine off. Than I forgot about it, this just reminded me I need to get that done before the season starts here in Colorado!

Not really. There are several grades of Dyneema and you need to know the breaking strength first before you purchase.
Ah. Figured it was the simple “you get what you pay for”.
As far as abrasion guards, none at all? Or just not on one end?
My rope is looking a bit fuzzy, figured time to look into replacement.

Ah. Figured it was the simple “you get what you pay for”.
As far as abrasion guards, none at all? Or just not on one end?
My rope is looking a bit fuzzy, figured time to look into replacement.
No tubular sleeve type abrasion guard slid over the rope. Use a real abrasion guard when needed to protect the rope from sharp edges.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Why does the synthetic line need to be almost twice the break strength of the 5/16 steel rope the M8000 is sold with?
If you're comparing 3/8" synthetic to 5/16" wire rope, it's not really a strength issue it's a safety factor issue. Strength-wise, a 5/16" synthetic rope is significantly stronger than 5/16" wire rope is but it doesn't have the abrasion resistance that wire rope does. That's why 3/8" synthetic rope is recommended, it has an added safety margin for situations where abrasion from needing to be dragged over a rock etc. might be an issue.

Rather than start another thread I thought I’d resurrect this one. 🧟‍♂️
Regarding Dyneema synthetic rope; as long as it’s 3/8” diameter and rated at or near 20,000lbs + it’s good to go, yes?
Please, correct me if I’m wrong.

Reactions: inkedrose
Just starting to read up on synthetic rope for my winch.

I want to get a thimble and all that also. I have a warm I believe older style m8000 which was installed when I got it (not 100% sure). Don’t really know much about it.

What characteristics are there to look out when comparing synthetic brands. Anything on sale for Black Friday?

What procedures are there when switching from cable to synthetic? Should I replace the Fairlead? (I have a warn hawse steel fairlead which I put on recently and have not operated the which while it’s been on.

What could I potentially sell the cable for?

View attachment 64616

Memories, sweet memories.

Reactions: Alex01