Winch cable or synthetic rope?

Yeah I just blew my wad on 4340 shafts and a big brake kit so it will have to wait. 😆
I couldn't quite swing the big brake yet, I'm jelly. I just did new black magics all the way around and their parking brake upgrade. I can't wait for that, no more jeep slowly rolling down hills with a trailer and just the ebrake on.

• Haha
Reactions: Claybirdd
I know, as i say I spent 500 plus on winch rope right, the thinking being I don't plan on changing my winch or rope anytime soon, I'm not sure If i'm gonna save and go full width axles and coilovers yet or not. Plus I know in 40k I'll be adressing brakes again. After I've had time to save again. Owning a jeep is like working part time as a construction manager, just for the fun of it. haha

• Haha
Reactions: Claybirdd
With my 35's and stock brakes it is an exercise in futility. I've been going through pads like crazy.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to retrain myself once I have real brakes again.

The real tricky part will be quickly putting them on while the wife is at work so she won't know I bought them. 😉

With my 35's and stock brakes it is an exercise in futility. I've been going through pads like crazy.

Pretty sure I'm gonna have to retrain myself once I have real brakes again.

The real tricky part will be quickly putting them on while the wife is at work so she won't know I bought them. 😉
Yeah I had stock brakes with 35's too. Its like stomping on a sponge and praying to stop. Plus I think mine are OEM equipment. Borderline it was unsafe. I'll have to send you pics of how bad my rotors are. haha they look like rusted swiss cheese.

Yeah I had stock brakes with 35's too. Its like stomping on a sponge and praying to stop. Plus I think mine are OEM equipment. Borderline it was unsafe. I'll have to send you pics of how bad my rotors are. haha they look like rusted swiss cheese.
That's how mine look too.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Ichudnofsky
My TRE rope with safety thimble and fairlead is on the way along with couple other recovery items. @Garza was great about putting together invoice to make easy for me and the forum discount doesn’t hurt either 😉

Now I have to create cover for winch as suggested in my build thread so sun isn‘t beating directly down on my new rope.

My TRE rope with safety thimble and fairlead is on the way along with couple other recovery items. @Garza was great about putting together invoice to make easy for me and the forum discount doesn’t hurt either 😉

Now I have to create cover for winch as suggested in my build thread so sun isn‘t beating directly down on my new rope.
Forum discount? Damn it, that would have been nice to know beforehand. 😕

@Claybirdd reach out to him if you need thimble or fairlead for sure.

@Ichudnofsky for someone who isn’t a company shill you certainly act like it. Or maybe still trying to justify spending more than 3x, who knows.

I haven’t actually reached out to TRE to see if is necessary to protect rope from sun but as I will be running winch with control pack under hood, making a simple cover as suggested by another forum member (his example shown) will protect from dirt and debris as well.

D4B6073C-6220-41ED-B629-5D3AAC1D3075.jpeg

Thats an innovative little cover, wouldn't help where I am as we catch alot of road debris from the guy in front of us. I'd be a little concerned of something getting pulled in and having to remove the cover to deal with the obstruction. But that's pretty minor. The point about the masterpull line is that there are options for different people. I use my line for construction jobs as much as I use it for pulling rigs. I'm always around mud, salt, trees, rocks etc. IMO any products cost should be judged on its reliability, length of expected service life (with and without repair), and the headache cost. This is how much your willing to pay to not have to deal with headaches. Headaches to me, are things like servicing my line, additional cost such as the time to build afore mentioned winch cover and things like line replacement. Value your time reasonably and those costs get out of control quickly. Winch line is typically a throw away item. 2-5 years depending on how nice you are to it and where you live. I know 2 guys who have run Masterpulls best in class for 10 years through the hardest stuff and its still going. This is also leaving out the reason I really bought the line, which is because it doesn't pinch like traditional synthetic on the spool. Meaning your never fighting your line out of your fairlead. Headache cost. That easily makes the purchase of a cheaper synthetic line only appear that way. In fact if you added in cleaning time and replacement time. I would highly suspect people running cheaper line actually pay more in the long run. My opinion is, We live in a beautiful country where we have choices. I love to support American companies who are pushing the edge on technological possibilities. At some point because masterpull is innovating those production techniques will get cheaper and more widely available. No-one is even talking about masterpulls stuff, and so far here the only criticism is price. I don't see anyone arguing it doesn't actually have intrinsic value because of the material properties that are so different from traditional synthetics. I can understand someone saying its out of my budget. That's totally reasonable, but its in a class unto itself given a fair across the board comparison also. So please guys feel free to pick on me for being a company shill and promoting the best of the best. I'm proud of that part of myself. Its why I promote this forum also! I'd have to say maybe some of you are trying to justify why a cheaper product is as good as a more expensive one. There is always a trade off. In this case you can have all the benefits of steel and synthetic, but it costs you money. As opposed to trading some of the cost for less features. That's capitalism baby. I wish you all, all the best. Hope to see you all on the trail at some point. Thanks for the fun conversation.

Chad

Thats an innovative little cover, wouldn't help where I am as we catch alot of road debris from the guy in front of us. I'd be a little concerned of something getting pulled in and having to remove the cover to deal with the obstruction. But that's pretty minor. The point about the masterpull line is that there are options for different people. I use my line for construction jobs as much as I use it for pulling rigs. I'm always around mud, salt, trees, rocks etc. IMO any products cost should be judged on its reliability, length of expected service life (with and without repair), and the headache cost. This is how much your willing to pay to not have to deal with headaches. Headaches to me, are things like servicing my line, additional cost such as the time to build afore mentioned winch cover and things like line replacement. Value your time reasonably and those costs get out of control quickly. Winch line is typically a throw away item. 2-5 years depending on how nice you are to it and where you live. I know 2 guys who have run Masterpulls best in class for 10 years through the hardest stuff and its still going. This is also leaving out the reason I really bought the line, which is because it doesn't pinch like traditional synthetic on the spool. Meaning your never fighting your line out of your fairlead. Headache cost. That easily makes the purchase of a cheaper synthetic line only appear that way. In fact if you added in cleaning time and replacement time. I would highly suspect people running cheaper line actually pay more in the long run. My opinion is, We live in a beautiful country where we have choices. I love to support American companies who are pushing the edge on technological possibilities. At some point because masterpull is innovating those production techniques will get cheaper and more widely available. No-one is even talking about masterpulls stuff, and so far here the only criticism is price. I don't see anyone arguing it doesn't actually have intrinsic value because of the material properties that are so different from traditional synthetics. I can understand someone saying its out of my budget. That's totally reasonable, but its in a class unto itself given a fair across the board comparison also. So please guys feel free to pick on me for being a company shill and promoting the best of the best. I'm proud of that part of myself. Its why I promote this forum also! I'd have to say maybe some of you are trying to justify why a cheaper product is as good as a more expensive one. There is always a trade off. In this case you can have all the benefits of steel and synthetic, but it costs you money. As opposed to trading some of the cost for less features. That's capitalism baby. I wish you all, all the best. Hope to see you all on the trail at some point. Thanks for the fun conversation.

Chad
1617211916140.jpeg

Thats an innovative little cover, wouldn't help where I am as we catch alot of road debris from the guy in front of us. I'd be a little concerned of something getting pulled in and having to remove the cover to deal with the obstruction.blah,blah,blah,blah,blah....
First off let me say it’s a very nice rope send one to me and I’ll give it a fair review, secondly it’s a little pricey for a casual winch jockey, and lastly you do know what normally goes in place of the cover right? It comes off a lot easier than the controller did. If I was trying to market that rope I would target the JL/JT crowd.

First off let me say it’s a very nice rope send one to me and I’ll give it a fair review, secondly it’s a little pricey for a casual winch jockey, and lastly you do know what normally goes in place of the cover right? It comes off a lot easier than the controller did. If I was trying to market that rope I would target the JL/JT crowd.
I’ll buy one of those covers if you are marketing them 😉

I read through this thread. I see no one has mentioned Masterpull superline ultralite XD. If you are trully looking for the best synthetic line, with almost none of the drawbacks of traditional synthetic rope. Than this is what your looking for. Its a purely soft shackle system. No metal hooks. They also come coated with Dyneema. This is very durable, Uv stable and won't pinch when you pull it in dirty or get a cross spool. Its honestly amazing stuff. They only charge 1 leg and a hand for it too. So you can still make a living after you get it. There's always a trade off. Check them out at http://www.masterpull.com/
Ah yes, good ole superline. For when you want all the disadvantages of steel with none of the advantages of synthetic.

Chad
The covered lines are stiff and difficult to handle or at a minimum, no better to handle than steel. Like steel, they do not splice easily or well. You nick that cover and it's over and it only gets worse until it is repaired. You are incorrect, they do and will pinch and get sucked down through the layers just like ANY line that gets spooled under load over non tensioned lower layers.

When I said it had all the disadvantages of steel with none of the advantages of synthetic, it was not in jest. Impossible for us to splice, has a terrible hand, any damage means it goes back to MP to see if it can be repaired, and while price should not be the only consideration, it can't be ignored.

This is a pic of my rig from Oct. of 2000. Note the Amsteel Blue winchline from Masterpull on the winch. I've been using synthetic since then. I've used many different lines over the years, I'm very well versed in the benefits and trade-offs. I wouldn't use any covered line even if it was free. I don't like anything about that type of line. Anyone considering one should go play with steel cable, figure out what they don't like about it other than the difference in strength and then realize that would be exactly what they are trading for at great expense.
1617281605288.png