Your go to music

Haha it was me that said that but I don’t disagree with you. The funny thing is that I remember getting 3 cassettes that I asked for that were my first cassettes for my boom box. They were Beastie Boys, license to ill
Run DMC, Raising Hell
and Aerosmith, Pump
I also had LL Cool J’s Bad, Grandmaster Flash, Rob Base, and many more along the way. I did grow up in the 90s but old school rap to me is anything from my childhood. I’m glad I’m not the only one here that enjoys it and grew up on it along with a great variety of other music.
Born in 77’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stole my brothers ill communications tape when I was a kid. “Shit if this is gunna be that kinda party I’m gunna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes

Reactions: Jay P
I'm sure most here remember dubbing tapes :) crappy quality, took forever, never had a clue what the songs name where (unless you were one of those weird kids that made your own cassette jacket and used the smallest print possible) but it was still the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And then came along "high speed dubbing" :) many an afternoon spent at a friends house armed with a crap load of blank tapes :)

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Squatch
I'm a child of the 60s and musically I tend to be stuck there. Living in Mexico doesn't give me and real choice of music on the radio so I have Siruis Sat radio in my two Jeeps and the house as well. Chanel 18, Beatles radio is my present go to station. Love those mop tops. Their music always brings back fond memories.

So, what would be the one artist/group that you listen to that would absolutely shock the hell out of folks? You know, something they just would never expect?

*Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Still curious, though...
Bjork, sneaker pimps, Imogen Heap

I'm sure most here remember dubbing tapes :) crappy quality, took forever, never had a clue what the songs name where (unless you were one of those weird kids that made your own cassette jacket and used the smallest print possible) but it was still the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And then came along "high speed dubbing" :) many an afternoon spent at a friends house armed with a crap load of blank tapes :)
Been there, done that! Thanks for the Memorex...I mean, memories! :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMT
I'm a child of the 60s and musically I tend to be stuck there. Living in Mexico doesn't give me and real choice of music on the radio so I have Siruis Sat radio in my two Jeeps and the house as well. Chanel 18, Beatles radio is my present go to station. Love those mop tops. Their music always brings back fond memories.
I consider the Beatles to be in a class by themselves. After that, it's just music. Some damn good music out there, mind you, but they're just not the Beatles. Favorite Beatles songs are Revolution, Don't Let Me Down, and Anna (now that's an early one!). :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My go-to song list has quite the variety. I have fond memories of helping my dad work in the garage, listening to the oldies music.

I also like Classic Rock. And I very much enjoy the older country music, none of this pop crap.

Elvis Presley
Temptations
Roy Orbison
Johnny Rivers
Smokey and the Miracles
Spinners
Simon and Garfunkel
Dion
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Def Leppard
Huey Lewis
The Who
Nickelback (yeah yeah I know)
Elton John
Michael Jackson
Whitney Houston
Steppenwolf
Lynryd Skynyrd
Shinedown
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Tom Petty
Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson
Alan Jackson
George Strait
Garth Brooks

Man I could go on. I love music. Just wish I had the time to learn to play the guitar.

Reactions: Squatch
My go-to song list has quite the variety. I have fond memories of helping my dad work in the garage, listening to the oldies music.

I also like Classic Rock. And I very much enjoy the older country music, none of this pop crap.

Elvis Presley
Temptations
Roy Orbison
Johnny Rivers
Smokey and the Miracles
Spinners
Simon and Garfunkel
Dion
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Def Leppard
Huey Lewis
The Who
Nickelback (yeah yeah I know)
Elton John
Michael Jackson
Whitney Houston
Steppenwolf
Lynryd Skynyrd
Shinedown
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Tom Petty
Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson
Alan Jackson
George Strait
Garth Brooks

Man I could go on. I love music. Just wish I had the time to learn to play the guitar.
Awesome start to a list! ;) I know and enjoy all but Shinedown (not familiar with them). And like you, I wish I could learn to play the guitar. Only thing I know how to play is the radio! Music plays such an important part in life, as evidenced by how quickly this thread grew... :)

The Weeknd, Lil Dicky, Post Malone
So, what would be the one artist/group that you listen to that would absolutely shock the hell out of folks? You know, something they just would never expect?

*Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Still curious, though...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Eclectic like me: 60s, 70s, and 80s Rock, 90S Alternative (and current Alt Rock), Zydeco when I'm in the mood, and anything that catches my ear. I feel that generally music is like candy, best if you remove the (w)rappers. Currently a bit addicted to Imagine Dragons.

LOL That's one I haven't heard before. Funny! (Though I did just order two CDs of Childish Gambino, which is a mix of rap and funk, as I hear it. My wife is not amused with my choices...) :rolleyes:

I honestly don't mind rap if it is talented and creative. More of that type rap years ago.
Blasting an old Garbage CD in my car recently (not the Jeep). Creative stuff.

Last edited:
I honestly don't mind rap it it is talented and creative. More of that type rap years ago.
Blasting an old Garbage CD in my car recently (not the Jeep). Creative stuff.
I definitely don't have much appreciation for it. I do think Donald Glover is extremely talented in so many areas, and that probably helped influence my "acceptance" of his Childish Gambino work. Beyond that, Beastie Boys is tolerable, and I actually like a few songs by MM (however you write his name...M&M makes me think of the candy...). Otherwise, just not my thing...

@Squatch
Older Rap, exactly. I was raised in New England and am former military, so 'foul' language doesn't offend me in the least (especially if used comically), but music about drug use and referring to women as "bitches" (sorry) or worse no longer has shock value and is just boring to me.
Rant Over.