ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

So I ended up ordering both the TJ drag link (DS1430) and the ZJ drag link (DS1238), and there is a slight difference at the mounting point for the steering damper. Here's a couple of pictures that show them side by side as parallel as I could get them. I also held the ZJ link up against my stock link for comparison. I couldn't line it up exactly because my tires are still on, but this gives a general idea of the alignment. I drew lines to represent the angle of the steering damper bolt, admittedly poorly drawn and probably exaggerated. Anyone who installed the ZJ part - did you have any problems with installing at this point? @hear - you said it installed fine, just wanting to confirm.

PXL_20210307_202959385~2.jpg

PXL_20210307_203147478~2.jpg

PXL_20210307_204919608~2.jpg

Interesting. I’ve got my 1238 all mount up no problem, so I guess I’m gonna YOLO this setup for a while. That’s a subtle difference on just the steering dampener mount...I’m sure somebody with a high post count will belittle me for being so cavalier with my life and those around me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting. I’ve got my 1238 all mount up no problem, so I guess I’m gonna YOLO this setup for a while. That’s a subtle difference on just the steering dampener mount...I’m sure somebody with a high post count will belittle me for being so cavalier with my life and those around me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Someone on a different forum had said don't use the 1238 because of the different angle, so I figured since I had both I'd take pictures to document it for others' reference. Since yours worked I'll try it and document that too.

Reactions: TWiG01
Someone on a different forum had said don't use the 1238 because of the different angle, so I figured since I had both I'd take pictures to document it for others' reference. Since yours worked I'll try it and document that too.
It's hard to know which minor things are important and which aren't. I mean, Jeeps existed for years with OEM parts, but sometimes around here you have to be a lawyer or dentist to afford parts that won't literally jump out of the box and kill your family*. And then I watch the sh*tbox XJs wheel hard and it just doesn't always add up. Sorry for the mini-rant. Just needed to share a counterpoint which doesn't appear to always be welcome here.

* made in USA, lol. I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, but if it was my wife's idiot cousin on that assembly line you would have exactly that.

I feel like I saw another post about this, but can't seem to find it. The hole for the zerk fitting isn't threaded on the tie-rod. What size tap do I need for this?

IMG_20210319_170753.jpg

I feel like I saw another post about this, but can't seem to find it. The hole for the zerk fitting isn't threaded on the tie-rod. What size tap do I need for this?

View attachment 235791
Depends on the zerk - most likely an NPT tap. Do you have a hardware store near you that you could pick up a zerk and then get the corresponding tap?

Reactions: JpZombie
Tie rod ends look different than stock TJ. Maybe the non-v8 version of the ZJ? Photo shows stock TJ tie rod on top and the recommended ZJ tie rod on bottom:

IMG_20210327_152324__01.jpg

Reactions: TJim
Any tips on removing these? it seems like both ends are siezed and the one to my pitman arm is as well.

View attachment 240788
Leave the nut on loose, then insert a prybar so you can put a little pressure in the direction of separation. Now smack the crap out of the knuckle eye casting. On the end, just above the boot. The vibration from your smacking into the knuckle along with the down pressure will unseat the taper. While the nut keeps it and you from dropping to the ground. It usually only takes 2-3 whacks.