ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Does this upgrade require you change the entire tie rod if its joint goes bad? It seems to me the TJ adjusting sleeve allows for replacement of both TRE on it?

OR am I confused, misguided and otherwise an idiot?

Does this upgrade require you change the entire tie rod if its joint goes bad? It seems to me the TJ adjusting sleeve allows for replacement of both TRE on it?

On the crown kit the tie rod would have to be replaced if the joint went bad where it connects to the drag link, I can't speak for other kits.
You are correct with the fact that the stock setup allows for replacement of both tie rod ends. It's downfall is that it's a weak hollow tube.

Reactions: TJim

Check the post #1.

You have to change the Tie rod which is beefier than the stock TJ Tie rod.

You are right, TJ's stock tie rod allows for replacement of both tie rod ends, but it's thinner, less durable, and hollow.

You don't have to replace the drag link, since its the same diameter with the ZJ one.

What size tires are you running?

Check the post #1.

You have to change the Tie rod which is beefier than the stock TJ Tie rod.

You are right, TJ's stock tie rod allows for replacement of both tie rod ends, but it's thinner, less durable, and hollow.

You don't have to replace the drag link, since its the same diameter with the ZJ one.

What size tires are you running?
Yep, understood this is an all or nothing swap if you choose to upgrade the Tie Rod (also understand the drag link situation).

It is nice to be able to swap out TREs or a bad adjusting sleeve over an entire Tie Rod should something happen, but its also nice to have the extra beef.

It looks like it would cost about the same regardless if you went to replace

Yep, understood this is an all or nothing swap if you choose to upgrade the Tie Rod (also understand the drag link situation).

It is nice to be able to swap out TREs or a bad adjusting sleeve over an entire Tie Rod should something happen, but its also nice to have the extra beef.

It looks like it would cost about the same regardless if you went to replace
Yeap, cost is pretty similar thats why it's highly recommended to do this mod. There is no reason to buy a new stock TJ tie rod. Just buy a beefier one. Especially if you off road it, and you have upgraded your tires to a bigger size than stock.

If you have a bigger lift, 35s and deep pockets you can check Currie Currentlyc as well.

Last edited:
Along with my 4” lift this weekend O installed the is ZJ “kit”. I purchased all NAPA parts because that’s what I do often. 🤷‍♂️ Attached is a few photos. It seems the tie rod is contacting the sway bar link at full steer. I didn’t notice til today when I started to look in to where to hang the links when disconnected (let’s leave that discussion for another time)
Photos are of straight wheels then last photo of full turn right
What do you see??

thanks

4F1E949D-65D9-4AC3-81F0-E6CF388009DF.jpeg

296329B4-0284-406F-B08A-B45914AA6F16.jpeg

E3047332-1C40-4AE5-B551-B90723297EAD.jpeg

Along with my 4” lift this weekend O installed the is ZJ “kit”. I purchased all NAPA parts because that’s what I do often. 🤷‍♂️ Attached is a few photos. It seems the tie rod is contacting the sway bar link at full steer. I didn’t notice til today when I started to look in to where to hang the links when disconnected (let’s leave that discussion for another time)
Photos are of straight wheels then last photo of full turn right
What do you see??

thanks

View attachment 258098

View attachment 258103

View attachment 258104
Wait. Do I just turn the stud 90 degrees so it clears? It’s pouring out so I’ll let you know

I think I'll be doing this on our 01 Sport. I am hoping to do the sway bar links and bushings this weekend, then order these parts. I was told the tie rod end at the pitman arm had some wear. Might as well beef it up while I'm at it. And I'm told the steering damper had some wear.

The part that I am confused on, is I followed the links in the first post to Amazon and Amazon says most of those parts fit, even though they are off a ZJ. I just thought that was odd!

Simply out of curiosity, does anyone know why the ZJ rod has the odd bend on the driver side? I'm guessing some sort of interference fitment design? :unsure:

Parts Required
The ZJ tie rod conversion parts can be purchased for a very reasonable price on Amazon. You'll need the following parts:
The following parts are optional if you'd like to replace your drag link at the same time, with quality replacement parts. This is a great option if you want to refresh everything, including the drag link (not a bad idea if your Jeep has higher miles). Though the drag link will still remain the stock diameter, (the ZJ and TJ drag links are the same diameter) it will provide you with a completely refreshed steering setup, which is great for preventative maintenance.

Notes
DS1238 is cheaper but equivalent to the DS1430. Also, you may need 2 of the short ends and coupling sleeves depending on how much you're replacing.
Quick question and maybe it's covered more in here, I've gone through a bunch of the the posts but not all 23 pages. I am replacing the sway bar bushings and the links. I also ordered the Steering stabilizer, but think I'll wait until I order the rest of the parts. If I'm not mistaken, the stabilizer goes to the drag link and if my other reading is correct, sometimes that connection is a PIA to break loose. I might try it and if so wait until I get the rest. My stabilizer will be here Friday with the sway bar parts.

I am told (and looking at it I see the boot is a mess) that the Tie Rod end at the Pitman arm is bad and should be replaced. I am feeling some swaying and such so I am replacing everything. Not worth not for a few hundred. I guess the question is, do I just buy 01 TJ Tie Rod end and coupler to replace the Drag Link? It mentions a couple of short ends above, but it looks like I need one end and one coupler for the Drag Link. One end of the Drag link goes to the spindle, the other to the coupler to a tie rod end to Pitman arm. Steering Damper mounts mid way on that bar

Then on DS1312, ZJ Tie Rod, it appears to go to the Drag Link (my pic isn't good of that mount) then the threaded end to the adjusting sleeve to the tie rod end to the drivers side spindle.

Another question is DS1312 says it doesn't fit my TJ, which I totally understand as it's a ZJ part and larger, but the adjusting sleeve ES2079s as well as the Tie Rod end ES3096L say they fit my 01 TJ. Do they actually go to this ZJ Tie Rod or are they the parts I need for the Drag Link? Can anyone advise on this?

Great write up and appreciate the work it took!!

Quick question and maybe it's covered more in here, I've gone through a bunch of the the posts but not all 23 pages. I am replacing the sway bar bushings and the links. I also ordered the Steering stabilizer, but think I'll wait until I order the rest of the parts. If I'm not mistaken, the stabilizer goes to the drag link and if my other reading is correct, sometimes that connection is a PIA to break loose. I might try it and if so wait until I get the rest. My stabilizer will be here Friday with the sway bar parts.
It can be a PIA for sure. Pickle fork, PB, TRE seperator, and heat are all your friends here. Since it sounds like you're replacing everything all at once like you should, go to town on it. You aren't saving it for anything, so beat it until it complies.
I am told (and looking at it I see the boot is a mess) that the Tie Rod end at the Pitman arm is bad and should be replaced. I am feeling some swaying and such so I am replacing everything. Not worth not for a few hundred. I guess the question is, do I just buy 01 TJ Tie Rod end and coupler to replace the Drag Link? It mentions a couple of short ends above, but it looks like I need one end and one coupler for the Drag Link. One end of the Drag link goes to the spindle, the other to the coupler to a tie rod end to Pitman arm. Steering Damper mounts mid way on that bar
Correct
Then on DS1312, ZJ Tie Rod, it appears to go to the Drag Link (my pic isn't good of that mount) then the threaded end to the adjusting sleeve to the tie rod end to the drivers side spindle.
Correct
Another question is DS1312 says it doesn't fit my TJ, which I totally understand as it's a ZJ part and larger, but the adjusting sleeve ES2079s as well as the Tie Rod end ES3096L say they fit my 01 TJ. Do they actually go to this ZJ Tie Rod or are they the parts I need for the Drag Link? Can anyone advise on this?

Yes, they will fit. It's been a bit since I did this, but the only part you should avoid is the ZJ's drag link (which you already seem to have covered based on the first part of your post). I read your questions quickly, but it looks like you're ready to go. Good luck and ask questions if you need help.

1626359835752.png

Reactions: Chris and grabeb

Before you pull the old steering out, be sure to measure it. You'll need to use that measurement to "rough-in" the new parts.

Before you pull the old steering out, be sure to measure it. You'll need to use that measurement to "rough-in" the new parts.
Yeah, I'll get those measurement, but I also read the thread about how to align these and that seems super easy as well. Thanks!

Reactions: Irun
I have the damper on hand, I am just getting ready to place the order for the rest of parts. I'm kind of debating holding off or going for it, so that we can feel the difference on what each section of parts does prior to replacing everything. Kind of let my daughter see how it feels, so when she starts driving she can know what she's looking for in the future. I guess I see if the old will easily pop loose at the drag link and if so go for it. Surely a newly installed piece would pop off easily within a week or two! Not sure if this logic is sound or not!

I have the damper on hand, I am just getting ready to place the order for the rest of parts. I'm kind of debating holding off or going for it, so that we can feel the difference on what each section of parts does prior to replacing everything. Kind of let my daughter see how it feels, so when she starts driving she can know what she's looking for in the future. I guess I see if the old will easily pop loose at the drag link and if so go for it. Surely a newly installed piece would pop off easily within a week or two! Not sure if this logic is sound or not!
I say replace it all at once. Therefore if you need a pro alignment it gets done once. Also when buying all new there is no reusing or remove of damper stud. My damper came with all new hardware. Much easier. ✌🏼

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
It can be a PIA for sure. Pickle fork, PB, TRE seperator, and heat are all your friends here. Since it sounds like you're replacing everything all at once like you should, go to town on it. You aren't saving it for anything, so beat it until it complies.

Correct

Correct

Yes, they will fit. It's been a bit since I did this, but the only part you should avoid is the ZJ's drag link (which you already seem to have covered based on the first part of your post). I read your questions quickly, but it looks like you're ready to go. Good luck and ask questions if you need help.

View attachment 265478
After looking at everything under the jeep again, I think I see my confusion about the tie rod ends. The end on the stock Drag link at the pitman arm is already larger than the stock end on the Tie Rod Assembly. So if I'm correct and reading everything correctly, I just order 2 of the ends that attach to the Pitman arm and use the 2nd one at the front left spindle. The ZJ Bar has the other end, whereas the stock TJ needs two ends that are smaller than the pitman end.

Only thing left would be the ball joints, which I believe are still good. Everything steering wise will be good and the sway should be gone....I hope!

Reactions: Weasellee