ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

OK, so having finally sorted out my axle stands :oops: I have been spending much of the day fitting the Crown / RT upgraded steering. I believe this is basically the ZJ Tie Rod swap, but in one package and a safer bet as I know it is for RHD TJs. I have the replacement drag link and tie rod fitted and I have followed @Jerry Bransford's excellent instruction for getting the alignment sorted out.

I do however, have one quandry left, the replacement steering stabiliser. The next two pictures show the original one I have removed and the parts in the Crown / RT kit...

original stabiliser.jpg

new stabiliser.jpg

There are no instructions with the kit (annoying), so I am trying to work out the correct way to assemble and install the new stabiliser. It looks to me like the long sleeve gose over the bolt and then the short sleeve, which looks to create a taper. but why do I have three washers (one really thick and a lock washer, where do they all go? Or have I left something off elsewhere when fitting the drag link and tie rod?

OK, so having finally sorted out my axle stands :oops: I have been spending much of the day fitting the Crown / RT upgraded steering. I believe this is basically the ZJ Tie Rod swap, but in one package and a safer bet as I know it is for RHD TJs. I have the replacement drag link and tie rod fitted and I have followed @Jerry Bransford's excellent instruction for getting the alignment sorted out.

I do however, have one quandry left, the replacement steering stabiliser. The next two pictures show the original one I have removed and the parts in the Crown / RT kit...

View attachment 316872

View attachment 316873

There are no instructions with the kit (annoying), so I am trying to work out the correct way to assemble and install the new stabiliser. It looks to me like the long sleeve gose over the bolt and then the short sleeve, which looks to create a taper. but why do I have three washers (one really thick and a lock washer, where do they all go? Or have I left something off elsewhere when fitting the drag link and tie rod?
The end of the stabilizer that connects to the axle is the stationary side. One bolt and thick washer and nut on this end and on the side attached to the drag link get a long bolt with a washer on either side of the stabilizer bushing and the lock nut under the nut

50A07E4B-74F2-41CB-B0F8-09637A669CAC.jpeg

0D73E2BF-D4FE-4168-A56F-DD76AAD350E1.jpeg

6242A403-7968-4D57-A9CE-6D16355E97A5.jpeg

4286681D-AF21-4719-801E-39738AD6A167.jpeg

The end of the stabilizer that connects to the axle is the stationary side. One bolt and thick washer and nut on this end and on the side attached to the drag link get a long bolt with a washer on either side of the stabilizer bushing and the lock nut under the nut

View attachment 316886

View attachment 316887

View attachment 316888

View attachment 316889
Many thanks. Is that a Crown stabiliser or another brand? Mine doesn't have that conical shaped spacer that you have sitting between the drag link and the stabiliser.

Many thanks. Is that a Crown stabiliser or another brand? Mine doesn't have that conical shaped spacer that you have sitting between the drag link and the stabiliser.
It’s just a cheap Rough Country brand one. $30 on Amazon. You can order a conical spacer separately though for $10 or so online. Monroe brand on Amazon for like $8 for just the hardware.

Reactions: pagrey and UKTJ
I just completed the ZJ steering upgrade using the parts list provided. Thank you for that. I did this at the same time that I installed a MC lift so I just ordered the MC steering stabilizer. The problem I am having is that the stabilizer bottoms out before full lock to passenger. Anyone know if the mounting hole on the ZJ drag link is in a different location than the TJ drag link? I tossed my original so I can’t check it now. The pic is shown at a straight wheel configuration but you can see there is not much range left until it bottoms out.
CC03E2CC-A86A-44C6-B9BD-B9A0E30DF1CD.jpeg

I just completed the ZJ steering upgrade using the parts list provided. Thank you for that. I did this at the same time that I installed a MC lift so I just ordered the MC steering stabilizer. The problem I am having is that the stabilizer bottoms out before full lock to passenger. Anyone know if the mounting hole on the ZJ drag link is in a different location than the TJ drag link? I tossed my original so I can’t check it now. The pic is shown at a straight wheel configuration but you can see there is not much range left until it bottoms out.
View attachment 319852
I can measure my drag link if it will help.

I took a rough measurement from the threaded end that goes into the coupling on the pitman arm side of the link and it’s about 4.5” to the bolt hole for the stabilizer.

Also those parts are bare metal so you might want to put some paint or something on them because they’ll rust after getting wet one time.

Reactions: Long Rider
Also those parts are bare metal so you might want to put some paint or something on them because they’ll rust after getting wet one time.
Thanks for the response I will check my length when I get home tonight. I plan on coating the parts before it ever gets out of the garage. Trust me it is not the only part that needs coated. I ordered the DS1430 drag link and assumed it was ZJ also. I will call MC and sort it with them. Just didn’t want to call if there was a difference in the length of the drag links from a standard TJ which the stabilizer is made for. That wouldn’t be their fault.

Thanks for the response I will check my length when I get home tonight. I plan on coating the parts before it ever gets out of the garage. Trust me it is not the only part that needs coated. I ordered the DS1430 drag link and assumed it was ZJ also. I will call MC and sort it with them. Just didn’t want to call if there was a difference in the length of the drag links from a standard TJ which the stabilizer is made for. That wouldn’t be their fault.
Please let us know what you find out, I will be trying to do this shortly with MC lift also.

Please let us know what you find out, I will be trying to do this shortly with MC lift also.
Will do. I think I have it narrowed down to either:
1. Stabilizer is too long
2. Drag link length from steering knuckle to stabilizer mounting hole is too short.
3. The lift installed without a drop pitman arm effectively increased the angle of the drag link and shortened the distance between the 2 stabilizer mounts. I am not sure the angle difference would cause much of a difference but an inch is a inch.

The stabilizer shrinks down to 12.25”, so I will remove it then full turn to passenger and measure between the mounting holes axle to drag link. If shorter than 12.25” then the stabilizer won’t work. Sell it on the underground market and buy one that works with the measurements that I collect. Trying to avoid a drop pitman arm but maybe as a last resort. Might adjust the turn stops before I do a drop pitman.

Thankfully had a little time to look more into this tonight after a 12 hr shift. Enlisted the help of my son to turn the wheel so I could watch the MC stabilizer and see what was really happening. Turned out the boot was binding between the stabilizer body and the drag link and also pinching between the rod(?) and the body. I moved the boot and the pic below is at full lock. Guess I just needed another hand to properly diagnose. If anyone is interested, the full lock to passenger was about 12.5” eye to eye on the stabilizer. It is close to bottoming out but not quite. I am just going to run it without a boot as I have seen many that don’t come with them or people run without them all the time. Thank you for all the suggestions and sorry I jumped the gun by asking before fully investigating.

6B4DD6F3-F9AB-4B2C-B4AD-7ED690B5F6C5.jpeg

Reactions: joelachr
Thankfully had a little time to look more into this tonight after a 12 hr shift. Enlisted the help of my son to turn the wheel so I could watch the MC stabilizer and see what was really happening. Turned out the boot was binding between the stabilizer body and the drag link and also pinching between the rod(?) and the body. I moved the boot and the pic below is at full lock. Guess I just needed another hand to properly diagnose. If anyone is interested, the full lock to passenger was about 12.5” eye to eye on the stabilizer. It is close to bottoming out but not quite. I am just going to run it without a boot as I have seen many that don’t come with them or people run without them all the time. Thank you for all the suggestions and sorry I jumped the gun by asking before fully investigating.

View attachment 320138
Thanks…..appreciate the info.

View attachment 320138
I know this off topic, but how do you like that MC lift? Ride quality? Quiet?

I know this off topic, but how do you like that MC lift? Ride quality? Quiet?
No idea yet. The front is mostly done except double checking alignment. Started on the rear but most of the bolts are breaking or I need to cut them out. Can’t wait until the upper shock mount bolts break.

• Wow
Reactions: UKTJ
View attachment 319852
Is your driver's side outer tie rod stud pulled too far through the knuckle so the cotter pin is above the castellations in the nut?

I can't tell for sure but based on how compressed that tie rod boot is, looks like you might have the same thing I have going on. I have been trying to figure it out.