Zone 3" lift kit for the 05

Hey, there’s a way to do this without dropping it all at the same time. So, ask yourself, what do I really want. Then we’ll figure it out. There will be some compromises along the way, but they’ll be temporary and cheap. The game is to reach the goal of what you really want.
Yes, thanks for the help, it's beginning to come together, theres a lot to consider. I know engines , not lifts... :-/ :)

Yes, thanks for the help, it's beginning to come together, theres a lot to consider. I know engines , not lifts... :-/ :)
The problem is there are so many options. On one hand a curse, on another a blessing....goodnight brother....

How's about doing a lift swap ? @JMT ?

Your lift onto my 05, and a lift upgrade (4" or whatever) or so we install onto your red beast !
It's a 1 day upgrade.. :)
It’s weird you would say that. I thought about that when you were talking OME about a week ago! Of course, I’d never suggest anything like that! ;)

Reactions: KCsTJ
Sounds like your pretty set on 3" or more, but I run the OME kit with the BL and didn't have to go down the control arm or new driveshaft route, running 33s with no vibes. $$ still added up also but drives great and you could probably save some money by buying the OME 2.5" springs, rancho shocks, piecing it together. Just another option. If I want to run bigger tires in the future I like the idea of doing mce or MC fenders.

Sounds like your pretty set on 3" or more, but I run the OME kit with the BL and didn't have to go down the control arm or new driveshaft route, running 33s with no vibes. $$ still added up also but drives great and you could probably save some money by buying the OME 2.5" springs, rancho shocks, piecing it together. Just another option. If I want to run bigger tires in the future I like the idea of doing mce or MC fenders.
See, this here is a smart guy. He’s looked at lots of options. And a key is you can piece things together this way.

Well not really @IPerkWVU, im just exploring all options, I like your post and I may end up doing what you did in the final analysis :)

If you want to do the lift swap I'm all in !
Hmm...so I’d need an SYE/DC, flat skid, rear CA’s. That’s about $1600. Boy, I’d like too.

I’d move over 2.5 OME, 2-3” Rancho 5000X shocks. What else?

It does include the TC drop kit, I just wonder how much. I had to drop the TC 1/2" on my 97 2" lift.
Ahhh I didnt know it came with a skid drop. If it comes with a skid plate drop then you *don't have to* run upper and lower adjustable control arms. I wouldnt advise running the skid drop...but thats just because I like to do things right..running a drop skidplate is not the right fix. I would highly advise getting rid of the slip yoke, the engineers ar Jeep did when they built the Rubicon. I have seen the slip shaft slip right out of the housing when flexing.(one data point)

If it was me, I would not run the drop skid plate, I would run a SYE and a new driveshaft built specifically for the lift you are running.

Doesnt running a drop skid plate defeat the purpose behind the lift in the first place?

But when you are working with a budget, I get it.

Last edited:
@Fouledplugs, where is the line between stock and adjustable CA’s? I would think you could get away with ~3”, at least for awhile. I’m at 3” and no problem.
If you get to 3” suspension lift you are going to get vibes, I don’t care what TJ you’re driving.
You answered it, Im confident that adjustable uppers and lowers with a SYE and DC shaft will fix that.

IMO, the first mod should be a super short SYE to support future mods.

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
Every Jeep is going to be different. As a case in point, when I installed my OME 2.5" lift I got horrible DS vibes, and ended up having to put a 0.75" TC drop on to reduce the vibes. Some don't need to drop the TC at all with that lift, so be prepared to make changes. Don't forget to extend your bumpstops.

I'd do this @KCsTJ, I'd take the 3" Savvy Springs and move my 2.5" OME over to your rig. That way I could keep everything else the same. I paid $367 for my springs and something like $30 for the OME 10mm spacers. I'll work with you on a deal if you want to make this swap! I'm not sure this is an advantage for you? It's hard to tell. I guess it's up to what you want to do with your rig. If you want to stay at 2.5" and not get into possible problems above that, then it would probably be smart.

Ahhh I didnt know it came with a skid drop. If it comes with a skid plate drop then you *don't have to* run upper and lower adjustable control arms. I wouldnt advise running the skid drop...but thats just because I like to do things right..running a drop skidplate is not the right fix. I would highly advise getting rid of the slip yoke, the engineers ar Jeep did when they built the Rubicon. I have see the slip shaft slip right out of the housing when flexing.(one data point) If it was me, I would not run the drop skid plate, I would run a SYE and a new driveshaft built specifically for the lift you are running. Doesnt running a drop skid plate defeat the purpose behind the lift in the first place?

But when you are working with a budget, I get it.
Yes I agree @Fouledplugs im not a fan of the skid plate drop either, i did it more to try and resolve the driving vibes on my 97 and it worked.
Yes a SYE AND a new DC driveshaft is the proper and correct fix. I want to do things right for sure.
I think what you mean by building specifically for the lift I am running, equates to simply measuring the distance between the two driveshaft yokes and having a custom driveshaft made by Tom Wood or someone like that?
Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I'd do this @KCsTJ, I'd take the 3" Savvy Springs and move my 2.5" OME over to your rig. That way I could keep everything else the same. I paid $367 for my springs and something like $30 for the OME 10mm spacers. I'll work with you on a deal if you want to make this swap! I'm not sure this is an advantage for you? It's hard to tell. I guess it's up to what you want to do with your rig. If you want to stay at 2.5" and not get into possible problems above that, then it would probably be smart.
Yes for now that works as my new to me 05 is my DD and I need to retain some stockishness (new word, thank you) to my Sport as I am having to depend on it. :). For now is the operative phrase in the above sentence..hehe.
Yes that works I think a swap is in order here. :)

Every Jeep is going to be different. As a case in point, when I installed my OME 2.5" lift I got horrible DS vibes, and ended up having to put a 0.75" TC drop on to reduce the vibes. Some don't need to drop the TC at all with that lift, so be prepared to make changes. Don't forget to extend your bumpstops.
@bobthetj03 thats a good reminder.
I have been following your vibe saga for awhile now, don't u almost hate the Jeep head that throws on a BB 2" lift and never has a vibe? That just has to be the exception not the rule. Changes, that's the norm :/ :)

Reactions: bobthetj03
Yes I agree @Fouledplugs im not a fan of the skid plate drop either, i did it more to try and resolve the driving vibes on my 97 and it worked.
Yes a SYE AND a new DC driveshaft is the proper and correct fix. I want to do things right for sure.
I think what you mean by building specifically for the lift I am running, equates to simply measuring the distance between the two driveshaft yokes and having a custom driveshaft made by Tom Wood or someone like that?
Thanks for your input.

Yes simple as that. Sorry for making it sound like its more than it is. The advantage to the lowers and uppers being adjustable is that you can adjust your pinion angle.