04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

Day 31:

After work I noticed one of the twins out working on the door. He explained his ideas to get it unlocked. This is what it’s about! I worked with him for about 5minutes, but had to teach a class, so ugh...

An hour and 15 minutes later class was done and I notice both of the boys are out there working. I march out. They explain that they got the door to open, once, thought they had it fixed and shut the door. Locked on them again and they can’t duplicate what they did. 🤣

They had the door panel off, which is amazing in itself with it shut and locked. They showed me what they did. I fiddled with things and in 10 minutes we were in business. The guide rod that descends from the door paddle and ascends to a clip just above the locking mechanism needed to be adjusted. Works great now. As a reward we went wheelin at the local ORV park in my rig and they both drove the whole time. They wanted to try out the hand throttle. Loved it once they figured it out!

Diligently working...good news is they know how the doors work.
22615AB2-4701-4C67-821C-370AFEC301E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 31:

After work I noticed one of the twins out working on the door. He explained his ideas to get it unlocked. This is what it’s about! I worked with him for about 5minutes, but had to teach a class, so ugh...

An hour and 15 minutes later class was done and I notice both of the boys are out there working. I march out. They explain that they got the door to open, once, thought they had it fixed and shut the door. Locked on them again and they can’t duplicate what they did. 🤣

They had the door panel off, which is amazing in itself with it shut and locked. They showed me what they did. I fiddled with things and in 10 minutes we were in business. The guide rod that descends from the door paddle and ascends to a clip just above the locking mechanism needed to be adjusted. Works great now. As a reward we went wheelin at the local ORV park in my rig and they both drove the whole time. They wanted to try out the handle throttle. Loved it once they figured it out!

View attachment 241599
Good lessons in problem solving and how things work!

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
Day 31:

They had the door panel off, which is amazing in itself with it shut and locked. They showed me what they did. I fiddled with things and in 10 minutes we were in business. The guide rod that descends from the door paddle and ascends to a clip just above the locking mechanism needed to be adjusted. Works great now. As a reward we went wheelin at the local ORV park in my rig and they both drove the whole time. They wanted to try out the handle throttle. Loved it once they figured it out!

View attachment 241599
Is that a "jeez dad not another picture" face?

Awesome build, I love all the tasteful modifications. The front bumper turned out perfect!

• USA Proud
Reactions: JMT
I'll let @JMT post pictures of the compressor. This was one of the original type compressors when ARB first sold their lockers in the USA. It's a piece of history and it has to be 20 years or older but it still works.

JMT gets the joy of finding some rubber feet to mount it with so it doesn't rattle and make tons of noise.

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
I'll let @JMT post pictures of the compressor. This was one of the original type compressors when ARB first sold their lockers in the USA. It's a piece of history and it has to be 20 years or older but it still works.

JMT gets the joy of finding some rubber feet to mount it with so it doesn't rattle and make tons of noise.
Yeah, it was really cool of Wildman to pass on the ARB Compressor to the boys. I rested most of the day. Will clean it up and take pics tomorrow! I think I’ll run an in-line on/off switch. Should work well for airing up after a trail!

Yeah, it was really cool of Wildman to pass on the ARB Compressor to the boys. I rested most of the day. Will clean it up and take pics tomorrow! I think I’ll run an in-line on/off switch. Should work well for airing up after a trail!

I'm glad I could be added to those setting your boys up with an awesome TJ.

Forgot to dig some of the soft handles/grips I have for them. Will have to find them for next time.

Last edited:
At Moab we did Top of the World with a great team, @Midnight LJR, @Nickgsjeep, @DylanM345, @Daryl, and @taylormade73. I let the twins drive as well as my oldest daughter. They all said,"This is a lot more fun driving!" Looks like next year we'll be taking another Jeep to Moab.

While there we met @bobthetj03 and the boys explained that their hardtop was faded gray. He suggested they use a magic eraser. Yesterday they got after it and the difference is literally amazing. Their Jeep is turning out super nice. They also washed and waxed it.

Sides done, top still to go!
D29DEA8F-0999-4B77-9C69-441945F9A228.jpeg

Look at the wild difference.
0E47C3DE-E2E0-4037-9C5B-82F1287FB79D.jpeg

this stuff might be magic after all.
AD8A7055-2C25-4F32-BB53-7C2908610A8B.jpeg

It's always a joy to see your accomplishment
655B63FD-014B-4B27-956C-48814A975301.jpeg

Last edited:
When I decide on my shocks, we'll get started on this build. Αctually, there are a few more corrections we need to make. clean up the surface rust on the frame and paint all that. I bought 4 cans of semi-flat black for that purpose.

It's Spring, so we have a lot of projects going on, and I'm also correcting small things on the Rubi, so if anyone is looking for one, it will be up for sale soon. It is very nice. The boys Stone White TJ is also going to look really sharp when we get it built, but the Rubi is just an outstanding Jeep.

Day 55: Frame
The frame has surface rust, and that is going to be fixed. I’ve been working with their painting skills the last year and now one of them is fairly adept. I caught him out working on the rear on both sides. Sanded all the rust off, cleaned with alcohol, self-etch primed and top coated with a semi-flat black. He got a run in one spot, but we’ll correct it when we remove the tires and really get into it! Here are pics up to the self etch primer.

736201CC-3630-4AA3-AFC9-A7A6106AECE1.jpeg

83755A6B-4939-4621-94DD-863E1B6FD5EE.jpeg

5D78151A-2FC2-44DC-9822-24C751043E3A.jpeg

The hardtop is a Smittybilt. Not my favorite company. The insulation is nice, but the latches suck. The rear hinges were faded and the gaskets were toast. Good luck finding them. We ordered a gasket sheet and the boys cut some replacements out. They did a great job! I can’t wait to get my Shocks in so we can get mine unbuilt and this one built!

EB3470EF-0171-4177-8EAF-3C4E2B4551FB.jpeg

6B79D4B9-7F0F-4FBC-B975-A5694F436163.jpeg

F8C70C39-3201-4D69-B05B-9F35F63262D7.jpeg

5DDF222C-5572-4820-B190-6ACEAEF9F9B0.jpeg

Their paint corrections, accents like flares and bumpers, and interior work have really turned a mediocre Jeep into something very nice to look at. All that remains is some frame clean up, transmission and diff fluids, and then we will start the build!

image.jpg