04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

@B00mb00m , you mind snapping a couple pictures of your ram assist hose routing and sharing length dimensions?
My track bar and drag link are setup a bit different than yours location wise. I was able to go between track and drag then loop over trackbar and back to gear.

Long hose is around 31"
PXL_20220322_144750974.jpg
PXL_20220322_144939652.jpg

@B00mb00m , Nice camo loafers.. I got rid of the misalignment spacers on my lower track bar mount so it made some real estate to route hoses between the track bar and tie rod, similar to your setup. However, with the high steer setup, The track bar/ drag link get real close to the lower radiator hose/radiator, respectively.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: B00mb00m
@B00mb00m , Nice camo loafers.. I got rid of the misalignment spacers on my lower track bar mount so it made some real estate to route hoses between the track bar and tie rid, similar to your setup. However, with the high steer setup, The track bar/ drag link get real close to the lower radiator hose/radiator, respectively.
Did you try to mount the tail end off the diff cover? This would be a better solution than my implementation.

Did you try to mount the tail end off the diff cover? This would be a better solution than my implementation.
I haven't welded any tabs for the ram yet. I've stared at the axle with the ram in my hand for hours like a caveman tying to figure out how to make a round wheel out of a square stone.

Reactions: Wildman
all that trail rash on the TR no bends yet?
The steel didn't survive, so far the 7075 is doing well and have dropped repeatedly onto the bar. I ordered the bar custom length to support the Smart parts TRE threads as much as possible. The threads bent last time also. The SP tre is nice because it prevents the old tie rod flop that happened with hydro assist on this style mount.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I haven't welded any tabs for the ram yet. I've stared at the axle with the ram in my hand for hours like a caveman tying to figure out how to make a round wheel out of a square stone.
Yup I did the same following by tack'n'cycle on repeat. I wanted to do diff cover mount but I was using these steer smarts tre that is super long with a big offset and couldn't fit the moveable mount length wise on the tie rod

Last edited:
The steel didn't survive, so far the 7075 is doing well and have dropped repeatedly onto the bar. I ordered the bar custom length to support the Smart parts TRE threads as much as possible. The threads bent last time also. The SP tre is nice because it prevents the old tie rod flop that happened with hydro assist on this style mount.
i'm still under the stock knuckle, but good to see the bar can survive some abuse, i'm sure i'll be puttin it into more than i want to.

not familiar with the TRE you mention.... only thing comin up is streetsmartparts is that it?, got a pic of 1 by chance?

Last edited:
Reactions: someguysjeep
Yup I did the same following by tack'n'cycle on repeat. I wanted to do diff cover mount but I was using these steer smarts tre that is super long with a big offset and couldn't fit the moveable mount length wise on the tie rod
My front axle boasts an RPM steering tie rod with 1 ton TRE's. Tie rod gets close to the cover. I looked at it again last night. I don't think a diff cover mount will work. The drag link is very close to the tie rod at full bump, even with a flat pitman.

Reactions: B00mb00m
My front axle boasts an RPM steering tie rod with 1 ton TRE's. Tie rod gets close to the cover. I looked at it again last night. I don't think a diff cover mount will work. The drag link is very close to the tie rod at full bump, even with a flat pitman.
I was close to being able to run the hoses under the trackbar, if yours is slightly higher than mine that may work for you. I had some zip ties that held the hose to the track bar to keep the hoses from doing something dumb like getting pushed into the crank.

Ok after two months of down time the jeep is drive able again but still a long way from done with this project. I COMPLETELY under estimated the time this project would take. This concept is Blaine's idea. Blaine showed some pictures of this as his solution for mounting a spare on a jeep on his +6. I have been running the exogate (will be for sale) and it does an okay job but the weak point is the tailgate to tub latch. My tailgate was notably deformed on the lower driver side corner and the box that the clasp mechanism was mounted in was also deforming. It's part of why I don't carry my spare around. My tailgate and tub have not had an easy life. I discovered some bondo around the tail gate hinge area when I pulled the armor and the driver side tub was totally smashed from the wreck that totalled my lj. Add to that some lady high out of her mind bumped into my spare in the macdonald's drive thru line a couple years ago. What's awesome about this setup is now the tailgate is merely superficial. All load carrying is done by some big as bars that are dually supported. What makes Blaine's concept unique is the clamping method. It's not the typical latch that hooks and pulls the driver side tub to the pass side tub. This one clamps the bar front to back. And wow, it works REALLY well. That's a piece of cutting board to protect the paint.

PXL_20220327_024737988.jpg

I did an absolute shit job of making these wood bars but I learned a lot in that process. I've captured the dimensions to make it work and now I will draw up machined aluminum cross bars and have a real machinist make it look good. The bars were super floppy by themselves and then I bolted them to the tailgate, which is no incredible structure by any means but wow it tightened up the entire assembly so that even with my shit bars it swings great and latches tight. Gone are the ugly spare bumpers!

My remaining work is to designe the cross bars, have them machined, make a spare tire attachment, make a lower valance aluminum cover, figure out a license plate location.

PXL_20220328_025429601.jpg

I plan to take the spare on and off regularly. Off around town on for longer trips and sometimes on sometimes off for different wheeling locations. I'd like the license to not be affected by spare on or off and I'd like the spare and mount to be quick to remove.

I'm thinking maybe a mount like this:
https://genright.com/products/universal-spare-tire-wheel-mount.html

Last edited:
Ok after two months of down time the jeep is drive able again but still a long way from done with this project. I COMPLETELY under estimated the time this project would take. This concept is Blaine's idea. Blaine showed some pictures of this as his solution for mounting a spare on a jeep on his +6. I have been running the exogate (will be for sale) and it does an okay job but the weak point is the tailgate to tub latch. My tailgate was notably deformed on the lower driver side corner and the box that the clasp mechanism was mounted in was also deforming. It's part of why I don't carry my spare around. My tailgate and tub have not had an easy life. I discovered some bondo around the tail gate hinge area when I pulled the armor and the driver side tub was totally smashed from the wreck that totalled my lj. Add to that some lady high out of her mind bumped into my spare in the macdonald's drive thru line a couple years ago. What's awesome about this setup is now the tailgate is merely superficial. All load carrying is done by some big as bars that are dually supported. What makes Blaine's concept unique is the clamping method. It's not the typical latch that hooks and pulls the driver side tub to the pass side tub. This one clamps the bar front to back. And wow, it works REALLY well. That's a piece of cutting board to protect the paint.

View attachment 318955

I did an absolute shit job of making these wood bars but I learned a lot in that process. I've captured the dimensions to make it work and now I will draw up machined aluminum cross bars and have a real machinist make it look good. The bars were super floppy by themselves and then I bolted them to the tailgate, which is no incredible structure by any means but wow it tightened up the entire assembly so that even with my shit bars it swings great and latches tight. Gone are the ugly spare bumpers!

My remaining work is to designe the cross bars, have them machined, make a spare tire attachment, make a lower valance aluminum cover, figure out a license plate location.

View attachment 318954

I plan to take the spare on and off regularly. Off around town on for longer trips and sometimes on sometimes off for different wheeling locations. I'd like the license to not be affected by spare on or off and I'd like the spare and mount to be quick to remove.

I'm thinking maybe a mount like this:
https://genright.com/products/universal-spare-tire-wheel-mount.html
What do you take the spare on and off for with different wheeling locations?

What do you take the spare on and off for with different wheeling locations?
Distance from parking lot. The spare on the back is noticeable when wheeling. I definitely prefer to wheel without it but it's a trade off of how far back does someone have to go if I tear my shit up on trail?

Ya, at first I said I wouldn't but it becomes clear if you get serious you're going to need one eventually or at least have one between a couple of you in case someone gets taken out. Do you trailer?
I don’t trailer but it makes sense if you can. I’d like to save up for a truck and trailer some day. At the same time, our rock crawling spots are usually pretty far from the parking lot so I’m not sure it would even be worth it for me to leave stuff behind.