05-06 stuck OPDA and maybe PCM issues?

CuzzoLJ

Hey yall! This is my first post so any advise on a better post would be great! I’ve been roaming this forum since I’ve bought the jeep and it’s been great so I decided to make an account!

Anyways, I bought a 05 lj a few months back and it has been a great experience so far. Just until I ran into this P0344 CEL. I’ve read about this quite a bit and I can’t seem to find any actual fix for it. (Correct me if I’m wrong) I have seen that some find exposed wiring which causes the issues. It can be the OPDA or the CPS sensor.

Since I got the P0344, I have been in limp mode. I also have a hard shift between 1 and 2nd gear. (I have the 42rle). Other than that the keep runs great.

I have tried a NAPA CPS sensor with no luck. I have found now wires exposed for a short bit I will look again.

My next issue is that I can not remove the old OPDA to install the crown unit. It seems to be rusted in. I did notice a ticking sound and feel from the OPDA in the jeep. The engine does have rust but it doesn’t seem like it causes any issues. Has anyone ever encountered this? Any fixes for this?

I also spoke to @Wranglerfix and I will be changing my PCM just in case but I will like to change the OPDA because if the issues it has caused to others. Any advice, please let me know. THANK YOU!

Hey CuzzoLj

Hopefully I can help you with what fixed my OPDA issues.

I can say it might be worth your while to try and find an AIP Electronics CPS before replacing your PCM.

I spent almost a year trying to fix my opda issues before I came across the AIP unit and from the moment I plugged it in, it’s worked flawlessly since. I did install the same Crown unit you’re trying to install as well to fix the issue of the bearing not getting lubricated.
Part number should be CAM103.

I found mine on Amazon originally.

Thanks @imahnu17

I did buy the crown unit but my OPDA is stuck for some reason. It does not want to rotate out of place. It’s my biggest issue right now and I have not been able to find anything on this issue.

I’ll definitely look into the AIP Unit to see if that solves the issue. As soon as I get on that I will let you know!

Thank you!

Hmmm... have you tried tapping the engine block with a hammer where the opda meets it? That should help loosen up and rust if that’s what is holding it in place without damaging any internals.

That’s my next step. I just didn’t want to damage anything. This issue is a huge PIA. I’ve been battling it for 2 weeks. Hopefully I will get it solved soon!

I can’t remember how mush room is available under the OPDA, but is there room under it to grab the base with a pair of channel locks and give it a little twist?

9823F8CF-F50B-4CBC-A180-1D605C541287.jpeg

This is the best pic I got from under the OPDA. There is enough space to slide a pair of channel locks to try and twist it out. I’ll give that a try as soon as I can get to it!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Start off with just a little pressure, that might be all it needs.

Like you, I’ve never heard of anyone having him that problem.

When you get it out, if you find and need to clean some rust out, I’d run a shop vac at the opening while cleaning it to minimize anything from falling into the engine.

Update:

I was able to remove the OPDA in the car. The previous owner must have used RTV to put that unit in because it seemed like it had RTV where the gasket would be.

I then placed the new one in after aligning the pin holes correctly, placed it in with the old Mopar sensor which was already on the jeep. I then put the retaining clip back on to put it in place and tightened it up.

It started great, better then it has in the past but as it warmed up I got the P0016 code. Should I do it again and put the engine at TDC, I don't know if that will help but I am at a loss. Could it be that PCM has gone bad? Maybe I need to find a Mopar cam and crank sensor? Any advice would be great!

Thank you for the advice earlier because it made removing the OPDA much easier!

Reactions: Wranglerfix
It started great, better then it has in the past but as it warmed up I got the P0016 code. Should I do it again and put the engine at TDC, I don't know if that will help but I am at a loss. Could it be that PCM has gone bad? Maybe I need to find a Mopar cam and crank sensor? Any advice would be great!
If you were not getting P0016 previously, and if you set it TDC with an alignment pin before removing the original OPDA, you're probably just slightly off. Loosen the retaining bolt and rotate the OPDA slightly one way or the other, tighten the retaining bolt and start the engine again.

If you don't have another way to reset the MIL, you will need to disconnect the battery. If the OPDA is still not clocked properly, the code will return. The fact that it starts indicates that you're not far off.

Update:

Thank you all for the help so far!

I’ve been fiddling with the OPDA and I have not had the CEL go away. I try to turn it as little as possible and have done it a few times to see if it sits in the right spot. Could there be another issue? Also, can a mechanic check that somehow? I have read that a mechanic with a certain scanner can see the how off it is? Should I go to a mechanic?

thank you for the help!

The hard shifts sounds like the PCM and the 05-06 is notorious for this. Wranglerfix is the way to go though.
Had same issues on our 05. Hard shifts, crazy shifts, sometimes no shift. Put in new PCM and been great for couple of years now thanks to Wranglerfix!

The cam gear did have some wear on it but it did not look like some other pictures here on the forum that looked awful. I would say it wasn’t that bad. Could that be the issue?

@CuzzoLJ I believe the 0016 code is due to a misaligned cam/crank. That must be done through the obd2 port. Call me when you get a chance at 866-888-7710.