I've seen axles and driveshafts strapped to the cage.

While stock shafts in a rear Dana 44 with a locker should be up for 35’s, maybe I should go Chromoly. Is it 4340 or 4140 I want? I have 2 sets of Dana 44 shafts I could sell to recoup some cash. 🤷‍♂️

You never know when you’re taking the last drive in your TJ. It was just after 6pm and it was getting dark. We were heading West on Francis. It’s a 4-lane main artery with a turning lane in the middle. I was going about 40mph. I’ve thought of this happening so many times. There’s not much you can do. Lots of traffic going both ways, and you have a car pull out to cross in front of you, probably to get in the turning lane to merge into oncoming traffic, but who knows. I said to myself, “This is it. My TJ is done.” A little strange, but I didn’t think we’d die. I have thought about getting more insurance to cover the upgrades if something were to happen, but I’ve never done it. Just be careful. Stay away from cars. You’ll be ok. Well, it was happening. This car just kept pulling out and turning right toward me. I’m already on the brakes hard and veering toward the turn lane, but there’s oncoming traffic, and this car is still coming straight at me. She was like 2” from my front tire and rock slider when we came to a halt. It’s amazing we didn’t touch. My wife was yelling at the lady. Everyone else was stopping. We drove on. I don’t really get mad at people in those situations. I assume it was an honest mistake. We all make them sometime or later. She wasn’t driving crazy or anything, she just didn’t see me. The crazy thing is I was calm the whole time. Never felt shaky or out of control. Thanks to @mrblaine for great brake pads, and hopefully attentive driving while knowing my rig paid off in keeping everyone involved safe. We live to see another day and the TJ is safe in her bay at home. Stay safe out there guys!

Last edited:
You never know when you’re taking the last drive in your TJ. It was just after 6pm and it was getting dark. We were heading West on Francis. It’s a 4-lane main artery with a turning lane in the middle. I was going about 40mph. I’ve thought of this happening so many times. There’s not much you can do. Lots of traffic going both ways, and you have a car pull out in front of you. I said to myself, “This is it. My TJ is done.” A little strange, but I didn’t think we’d die. I have thought about getting more insurance to cover the upgrades if something were to happen, but I’ve never done it. Just be careful. Stay away from cars. You’ll be ok. Well, it was happening. This car just kept pulling out and turning in front of me. I’m already on the brakes and veering toward the turn lane, but there’s oncoming traffic, and this car is like right there. Gosh, I mean, like for real, it was like 2” from my front tire and rock slider when we came to a halt. It’s amazing we didn’t touch. My wife was yelling at the lady. We just drove on. I don’t really get mad at people in those situations. It was an honest mistake. We all make them sometime or later. She wasn’t driving crazy or anything, she just didn’t see me. The crazy thing is I was calm the whole time. Never felt shaky or out of control. Thanks to @mrblaine for great brake pads, and hopefully attentive driving while knowing my rig paid off in keeping everyone involved safe. We live to see another day and the TJ is safe in her bay at home. Stay safe out there guys!

She may not have been driving crazy but she also didn't take time to look. My opinion, no excuse. I've had similar close calls and it's always "in a hurry". I had one just yesterday in the Garland District. I knew she was going to pull out with her fresh latte and it is only 20 so... she just got a lot of duel tone horn.

Reactions: JMT
You never know when you’re taking the last drive in your TJ. It was just after 6pm and it was getting dark. We were heading West on Francis. It’s a 4-lane main artery with a turning lane in the middle. I was going about 40mph. I’ve thought of this happening so many times. There’s not much you can do. Lots of traffic going both ways, and you have a car pull out in front of you. I said to myself, “This is it. My TJ is done.” A little strange, but I didn’t think we’d die. I have thought about getting more insurance to cover the upgrades if something were to happen, but I’ve never done it. Just be careful. Stay away from cars. You’ll be ok. Well, it was happening. This car just kept pulling out and turning in front of me. I’m already on the brakes and veering toward the turn lane, but there’s oncoming traffic, and this car is like right there. Gosh, I mean, like for real, it was like 2” from my front tire and rock slider when we came to a halt. It’s amazing we didn’t touch. My wife was yelling at the lady. We just drove on. I don’t really get mad at people in those situations. It was an honest mistake. We all make them sometime or later. She wasn’t driving crazy or anything, she just didn’t see me. The crazy thing is I was calm the whole time. Never felt shaky or out of control. Thanks to @mrblaine for great brake pads, and hopefully attentive driving while knowing my rig paid off in keeping everyone involved safe. We live to see another day and the TJ is safe in her bay at home. Stay safe out there guys!

I have noticed that pulling out right in front of you is what people do up here, that and being totally clueless about of right of way or what a stop sign is.
They even pull out in front of you when it's 10 degrees and the roads are frozen, they just do it in slow motion
Glad it didn't cost you a Jeep

I have noticed that pulling out right in front of you is what people do up here, that and being totally clueless about of right of way or what a stop sign is.
They even pull out in front of you when it's 10 degrees and the roads are frozen, they just do it in slow motion

I had someone do that on my way to work today. Sat there and I assumed was looking right at me. Red F350, 35's with clearance lights and LEDs. I'd think you'd not miss me but sure enough I had to slow down to not rear end them. It's pretty much a weekly occurrence.

• Sad
I had someone do that on my way to work today. Sat there and I assumed was looking right at me. Red F350, 35's with clearance lights and LEDs. I'd think you'd not miss me but sure enough I had to slow down to not rear end them. It's pretty much a weekly occurrence.

When I had a commute, this happened to me daily...those people that pull out into the "buffer" zone that a good driver will leave between them and the car in front. They turn in front of you and make you slow down as to not rear end them. It was/is infuriating. I'm to the point where i approach every intersection that has a car sitting in it with the expectation that they will pull out.

Yep, and you’ve mentioned it before. I didn’t even mention the one yesterday AM at a 4 way stop, which in this case I guess was a 3 way stop. I just sat there and watched the guy blow into the ice covered intersection trying to stop at the last minute shrugging his shoulders and raising his arms looking at me helpless. 🙄

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
I’ll report with some weights when I get this all sorted out. I think my biggest issues now are 1) how to carry rear axle shafts and 2) how or whether to consolidate the various bags of tools, parts and fluids in one larger box or bag.

Recovery gear is now in the console as per @gasiorv suggestion. Nice to have it handy.

If it's for Moab just toss the shafts in my truck or garage. Also, I believe you only need to have the shorter of the two since they'll work in a pinch on either end. I was under the impression though if you broke a shaft on the trail you would just take out the broken bit and run the jeep to the trail head since the 44 won't walk out like a 35. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's for Moab just toss the shafts in my truck or garage. Also, I believe you only need to have the shorter of the two since they'll work in a pinch on either end. I was under the impression though if you broke a shaft on the trail you would just take out the broken bit and run the jeep to the trail head since the 44 won't walk out like a 35. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

👍🏼

You’re right. The retaining plate holds the shaft in a Dana 44 and the shorter shaft will work for either side. If you trail fixed it you just wouldn’t have full spline engagement, which is fine.

Reactions: Alex01
The JCR Sliders are just ok. The torque boxes are not level, so JCR added a 3/16” plate. It really needs about 3/8”. They didn’t even run it the whole length. They just did 4”. It’s about 11.5” long. @Mike_H fixed his and I’m following suit. It was time to take them apart anyway and see what’s going on with rust. It’s been 5 years.

Welded on some spacers, painted them and the torque boxes. They look better than ever.

93DB1287-CC46-4F83-9AF1-8F52D0281983.jpeg

99B98A90-1D68-4EA2-B0C8-C28CE9A14D48.jpeg

651F4713-7D0A-4B11-AA6A-A9F88D12EFA9.jpeg

There’s still rust to remove and painting to do. Annoying, but worth it.
B5AF87CE-D9FB-4C68-81AE-EA648A9C325D.jpeg

The JCR Sliders are just ok. The torque boxes are not level, so JCR added a 3/16” plate. It really needs about 3/8”. They didn’t even run it the whole length. They just did 4”. It’s about 11.5” long. @Mike_H fixed his and I’m following suit. It was time to take them apart anyway and see what’s going on with rust. It’s been 5 years.

Welded on some spacers, painted them and the torque boxes. They look better than ever.

View attachment 404751

View attachment 404752

View attachment 404753
There’s still rust to remove and painting to do. Annoying, but worth it.
View attachment 404754

Just wait until you’re laying on your back drilling and installing all those nutserts into the torque boxes. 💪

• Haha
Just wait until you’re laying on your back drilling and installing all those nutserts into the torque boxes. 💪

Waiting on McMaster’s for some 5/16”-18 nutserts with a crush diameter of 17/32” (0.53”). This stuff isn’t always easy to find at the local hardware store. They should be here Monday. That will give me time to paint everything. 🙂

Waiting on McMaster’s for some 5/16”-18 nutserts with a crush diameter of 17/32” (0.53”). This stuff isn’t always easy to find at the local hardware store. They should be here Monday. That will give me time to paint everything. 🙂

Do you have a nutsert installation tool?

In your list to bring you mention 3/8 socket for brake bleeding. You should bring a 3/8 flare wrench instead. Don't forget brake fluid.

@Mike_H, what did you do with these dumb clips? The steel is too thick to get a nutsert to crimp. I could remove the backing plate and weld a nut on. It would need to be really centered on the hole. Or buy new stainless clips. 🤨

A288ECFF-5B3F-4FA1-B7CE-845B6CC73375.jpeg

F98C78F6-718E-4AD5-AC99-E2D967FEC508.jpeg

FFACAA6B-264B-48AD-AD73-3C2D0777C576.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and NashvilleTJ
Contemplating cutting this part of the slider off straight and welding the remaining JCR logo closed and painting. What do you guys think?

49A3034D-E393-49A5-AC9B-EB31E6498DD7.jpeg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ