More camping in ID. This is in Kingston in Silver Valley. I could spend all summer here…
IMG_3841.jpeg
IMG_3842.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg

We hiked the Pulaski Tunnel Trail, named after Edward Pulaski who saved 45 men from the 1910 fires that swept across the Western US. He was a self-taught woodsman. The 45 firefighters were panicking. Pulaski knew the area well and convinced them to follow him to a nearby mine. Once inside one man tried to run out. Pulaski pulled his pistol and threatened to shoot any man that left the mine. Nobody moved. He instructed them to lay face down in the mine to avoid as much smoke as possible. They all went unconscious. 40 of the 45 woke up. Afterward, they made their way into Wallace. Their shoes were melted off their feet, clothes were in tatters. After checking to see if his wife and daughter were alive, Pulaski remained blind in the hospital for two months. Between 75 and 133 people were killed by that Summer’s fire. Pulaski saved 40. We hiked down to the mine. It goes into the mountain 200 feet. It had been abandoned because no vein was found, like most mines.

It was the fires of 1910 that changed forest management methods to fire suppression. Since then methods have changed and they are considered necessary for the ecological health of forests.

Pulaski invented the “Pulaski” tool used by firefighters.

IMG_3846.jpeg

IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3861.jpeg

IMG_3866.jpeg

IMG_3867.jpeg

More camping in ID. This is in Kingston in Silver Valley. I could spend all summer here…
View attachment 537295View attachment 537296View attachment 537297
We hiked the Pulaski Tunnel Trail, named after Edward Pulaski who saved 45 men from the 1910 fires that swept across the Western US. He was a self-taught woodsman. The 45 firefighters were panicking. Pulaski knew the area well and convinced them to follow him to a nearby mine. Once inside one man tried to run out. Pulaski pulled his pistol and threatened to shoot any man that left the mine. Nobody moved. He instructed them to lay face down in the mine to avoid as much smoke as possible. They all went unconscious. 40 of the 45 woke up. Afterward, they made their way into Wallace. Their shoes were melted off their feet, clothes were in tatters. After checking to see if his wife and daughter were alive, Pulaski remained blind in the hospital for two months. Between 75 and 133 people were killed by that Summer’s fire. Pulaski saved 40. We hiked down to the mine. It goes into the mountain 200 feet. It had been abandoned because no vein was found, like most mines.

It was the fires of 1910 that changed forest management methods to fire suppression. Since then methods have changed and they are considered necessary for the ecological health of forests.

Pulaski invented the “Pulaski” tool used by firefighters.

View attachment 537298

View attachment 537299

View attachment 537300

View attachment 537301

View attachment 537302

View attachment 537303

Welcome to Idaho

Reactions: Wildman and JMT