It says outboard shocks and/or coilovers in the description but also says WON'T work with coil springs.
And when I asked them they have said NO it has to be coilovers so I don't know why they just don't say that.
is that for the 20 or 23 gallon?

is that for the 20 or 23 gallon?

Both of the new COMP tanks for the TJ. I had looked at them because they are $500 cheaper than the EXT but when I talked to GR and asked they said NOPE you have to coilovers. I'd like to see one because it allows more stretch but I'm not going to buy one on the OFF CHANCE I could make it work.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I want a 15 gallon with 2" or more extra clearance and 3" more stretch for those of us with coil springs

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMT
What kind of mpg do you get with the V-8?

The old engine was getting a 1 MPG less than a 4.0 would on the trail. But some of these trails up here can be 50-150 miles total of trail and loggin roads. So dropping to a 15 gallon tank just doesn't work for me unless I have no other option. My new engine is going to be a 6.7 ltr and I'm running a 6 pack FI manifold so I have no idea what it'll be like yet. But I would guess it might be 2-3 MPG less than a 4.0. But it could surprise me too and get the same.

Yes, 2" more ground clearance. I am always dragging the gas tank skid, even though I raised it 1.25".

You are always going to drag something. I'd rather it be my fuel tank skid than rippin my bumper off the back. But that is as long as it isn't the STOCK fuel tank skid.

Reactions: JMT
The old engine was getting a 1 MPG less than a 4.0 would on the trail. But some of these trails up here can be 50-150 miles total of trail and loggin roads. So dropping to a 15 gallon tank just doesn't work for me unless I have no other option. My new engine is going to be a 6.7 ltr and I'm running a 6 pack FI manifold so I have no idea what it'll be like yet. But I would guess it might be 2-3 MPG less than a 4.0. But it could surprise me too and get the same.

You are always going to drag something. I'd rather it be my fuel tank skid than rippin my bumper off the back. But that is as long as it isn't the STOCK fuel tank skid.
The 03-06 TJ's have a pretty good gas tank skid. It is 3/16" steel and covers the sides and corners, unlike the 97-02's. I raised it 1.25", so it is about as good as it can get. It gets dented and scraped up, but I just get under there once or twice a year, clean it up, repaint. Good to go again...

Of course, I'd love to have a Savvy or even better, a Genright!

I have the ext crawler 19.5 gal with an RJ 60 with coils and shocks in stock locations. I have a ton of room between the 60 and the tank as it allows for 5" stretch. Not sure if this is one of the tanks you're considering. Kind of got lost in all the ones mentioned the past few pages.

Edit: I also have the Currie TB

20200328_164049_HDR.jpg

20200328_164100_HDR.jpg

20200328_164108_HDR.jpg

20200328_190117_HDR.jpg

I have the ext crawler 19.5 gal with an RJ 60 with coils and shocks in stock locations. I have a ton of room between the 60 and the tank as it allows for 5" stretch. Not sure if this is one of the tanks you're considering. Kind of got lost in all the ones mentioned the past few pages.

View attachment 166527

View attachment 166528

View attachment 166529

View attachment 166530

How much room do you think you have to move the axle back?
I have a Teraflex CRD60 so about the same size as your RJ60.

How much room do you think you have to move the axle back?
I have a Teraflex CRD60 so about the same size as your RJ60.
I'll measure for you tonight. I already have the axle moved back some (essentially have my Savvy double adjustables fairly extended lengthwise).

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks, I know they say 5" for a Dana 44 so I'm sure our Dana 60's can't go back that much.

@Wildman because I have an LJ not sure where to get relevant reference points to measure for you. From stock CA brackets my uppers are 14" and lowers are 16.5" center of bolt to center of bolt on 5" of lift. Also, I measured from front of crossmember to front of tank and to center recess. From rear of lower CA bracket to front of axle is 14.5". Any other measurements you would like from different reference points?

20200601_180120~2.jpg

@Wildman because I have an LJ not sure where to get relevant reference points to measure for you. From stock CA brackets my uppers are 14" and lowers are 16.5" center of bolt to center of bolt on 5" of lift. Also, I measured from front of crossmember to front of tank and to center recess. From rear of lower CA bracket to front of axle is 14.5". Any other measurements you would like from different reference points?

View attachment 166605

I forgot you have a LJR so I am not sure either. I think it'll just be easier for me to stick with the fuel cell plan. But thanks for the measurements.

Reactions: taylormade73
What’s your wheelbase?
I didn’t measure when I had the wheels off but just taking a tape measure to the center caps ~94 3/4”. I had pushed out the front to fit the 35s behind the front fender wall. The rear lowers are 15.5” to fit the tires as best as possible in the wheelwell

I didn’t measure when I had the wheels off but just taking a tape measure to the center caps ~94 3/4”. I had pushed out the front to fit the 35s behind the front fender wall. The rear lowers are 15.5” to fit the tires as best as possible in the wheelwell
My lowers are at 15 5/8”, so very close to yours, could just be margin of error. My front is on stock CA’s and my wheelbase is 92 7/8”. IDK if any of this information helps with whether the Core 4x4 Rear TB is a good fit for your situation.

View attachment 166527

View attachment 166528

View attachment 166529

View attachment 166530
It sure is purty under there! What’s with the washers on the axle side trackbar bracket? What bracket has enough space for those? My Currie is super tight. I have to bang in the trackbar to line it up.