therein lies the problem. Wheelspeed is king in Mud, and if you have to limit your RPM's, that is an issue. I've tried high range in mud, and the snotty, sticky, clay based mud we have here will burn up a clutch in a HURRY...if you stop. If you hammer through, its no issue at all! lol

A lot of times, there isn't a bottom either...you just keep digging until your on the frame.

I'm very well schooled on mud believe me. And yes only being able to hit 3K RPM's is a issue but I really can't think of too many time I had issues. I never used hi range because I had the 4 popper and it didn't have the power for that.

Snow is the same some times where you need that wheel speed to get up on top of it.

therein lies the problem. Wheelspeed is king in Mud, and if you have to limit your RPM's, that is an issue. I've tried high range in mud, and the snotty, sticky, clay based mud we have here will burn up a clutch in a HURRY...if you stop. If you hammer through, its no issue at all! lol

A lot of times, there isn't a bottom either...you just keep digging until your on the frame.
Just before I got swallowed and had to winch.

FE342916-7C65-4DA9-BEB6-61131DB18B01.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT

Ugh. IH8MUD

Yes but can you drive it on the highway then?
I run down the highway at 70 mph no problem, cross country hell no I'm to old and fat for that but I drive to trails 150 miles away. I would daily drive my Jeep if I worked closer and didn't drive a company truck.

Reactions: Wildman
I wish I’d thought through that before I went with 456’s.

It's a learning process. When you're ready to do your next set of gears it won't cost you as much.

Hehehe, you now know someone who knows how to setup gears. So should be able to knock it out in a weekend if everything goes okay. But plan on staying for 4 days just to be on the safe side.

What gear are you in in the snow/mud now?
My best recollection.

Mud - 4L and 2nd or 3rd
Snow - 4L 3rd or 4H 1st (depends on depth, kind of snow).

I don't do a lot of Mud and Snow though. I might Snow wheel 3 times a year. Mud I try to stay away from. If things will open back up on the W side of WA, I'll apparently find a lot of Mud!

Reactions: DrDmoney
It's a learning process. When you're ready to do your next set of gears it won't cost you as much.

Hehehe, you now know someone who knows how to setup gears. So should be able to knock it out in a weekend if everything goes okay. But plan on staying for 4 days just to be on the safe side.
I didn't know you could do gears. Is there anything you can't do mechanically? I've read the Gear Bible a number of times. Almost sprung for the special tools I needed, but gave it to a shop. That day may come. I'd love to learn.

Reactions: Wildman