100MPH?

Some of the speeds quoted seem really high in a TJ...mine is stock on 31's and struggles above 65.....maybe I should try slipstreaming behind a cyclist haha

My daughter drove my sahara with me sitting on the passenger side and she hits 95 mph and I told her to slow down for the engine hood bulges as if it tries to separate / snap from the side rubber latches as it hovers up and down from the wind (looks like).

Last edited:
My daughter drove my sahara with me sitting on the passenger side and she hits 95 mph and I told her to slow down for the engine hood bulges as if it tries to separate / snap from the side rubber latches as it hovers up and down from the wind (looks like).
I didn't even think about that lol....that rubber on those hood latches is almost 20 years old now and we all know that old 'rubbers' can produce little accidents, that will eventually grow up and live in your basement hehe

Last edited:
I didn't even think about that lol....that rubber is almost 20 years old now and we all know that old 'rubbers' can produce little accidents, that will eventually grow up and live in your basement hehe

Picture this in you mind: the metal hood hitting your windshield at 100 MPH on a highway?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
So... the speed limiter seems to be set at 92mph as read by the PCM. The ways around it and get more road speed are to "un-correct" the speedometer. Then the only way to know your true speed is via GPS or radar gun.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: JMT and StG58
Off-peak freeway speeds around here are about 80 - I've crept up over that on a few occasions. The Jeep handles it fine but the sudden realization that I'm basically driving a big sail usually prompts me to back off the gas just a touch.
Man one time this past winter I was cruising down I-5, on my way back home to Seattle from the Mt. Baker area (up towards the Canadian border). There's a stretch of highway in the "Fraisier Valley" that is a funnel fo wind coming out of the Puget Sound / Straight of Juan De Fuca - channeled by two mountain ranges.

I was doing 80 with cruise control on (I hardly use it anywhere else because of traffic), the road was smooth and I was making great time, but then out of NO WHERE a massive crosswind took me like a sail!!! I seriously though for a moment that my Jeep was going to fly. It blew me over a lane and I had a momentary lapse in remebering cruise control was on, so it just kinda tried to maintain speed as I was blowing around the lanes. It had to have gusted to 70mph or so. It was a grim reminder of how non-aerodynamic these TJs are!

Man one time this past winter I was cruising down I-5, on my way back home to Seattle from the Mt. Baker area (up towards the Canadian border). There's a stretch of highway in the "Fraisier Valley" that is a funnel fo wind coming out of the Puget Sound / Straight of Juan De Fuca - channeled by two mountain ranges.

I was doing 80 with cruise control on (I hardly use it anywhere else because of traffic), the road was smooth and I was making great time, but then out of NO WHERE a massive crosswind took me like a sail!!! I seriously though for a moment that my Jeep was going to fly. It blew me over a lane and I had a momentary lapse in remebering cruise control was on, so it just kinda tried to maintain speed as I was blowing around the lanes. It had to have gusted to 70mph or so. It was a grim reminder of how non-aerodynamic these TJs are!

I have a sticker on my back window that says’ Aerodynamics are overrated’ ...just a reminder that Im driving a 4 man tent on 4 wheels down the freeway.

I got a ninja, that i keep around for things i dont want to do in a jeep:). the last ninja got totalled.....this one only fell over when i missed the sidewalk with the kickstand by mm's, an the wind managed to push it the rest of the way, while i walked about 20 paces away from it......some days i aint the smartest when i aint paying attention to what i should be paying attention to.....:)
img032.png
:)

Reactions: jeep_boss
I drove mine 80mph with plenty of pedal left and that was with a ridiculous lift and not really tested out much. Not sure I understand? I would imagine when I am done I could hit 100mph to be honest.

Last edited:
I got a ninja, that i keep around for things i dont want to do in a jeep:). the last ninja got totalled.....this one only fell over when i missed the sidewalk with the kickstand by mm's, an the wind managed to push it the rest of the way, while i walked about 20 paces away from it......some days i aint the smartest when i aint paying attention to what i should be paying attention to.....:)View attachment 37221 :)
Nice! I did a little over 180 on my friend's ZX-11R in Germany, then camento the realization that bikes are not for me. More like I am no good for a bike, the need for speed was just too tempting back then! I had my M3 going in that neighborhood too, but at the end of the day I'd prefer 70mph in a TJ or Toyota 4x4 over either of them now.