15% Ethanol is on the way

I don't see anything in your article about 15% ethanol being on the way

yeah, I didn't see it either. But in fact hasn't 15% been around for awhile now, at least in some locations? But no one is mandated to use it. Only vehicles classified as "Flex Fuel" are supposed to use ethanol blends above 10%. All other vehicles can and should stick to E10 (or non-eth if preferred), so E10 will be around for awhile...waaay too many vehicles still on the road and in fact still being produced that require E10 or less.

And again, the article didn't say that ethanol percentages will increase. It said that EPA is requiring that more ethanol be used. So more E10, E15, and E85 will be blended, but the percentages are not changing any time soon.

There are ethanol free locations here in Texas, not sure you have those. They are limited, very, and pricey, but heck less pricey than Cali prices, ugh. It's worth it for small motors, do y'all not have that?
I do have access to non-Ethanol gas from some stations now that I live in Florida. Couldn't find it at any California gas stations before I left last month.

This article was clearly designed for somebody that would see the picture of a gas pump labeled 15% ethanol and read the text "15 billion" and jump to a conclusion that had absolutely nothing to do with reality. If you fall in that category I'd ask you make some attempt to try and filter out these sensationalist headlines and check for yourself to see if it has merit. These rules aren't going to change the ethanol content of the gas we put in our Jeeps.

This article was clearly designed for somebody that would see the picture of a gas pump labeled 15% ethanol and read the text "15 billion" and jump to a conclusion that had absolutely nothing to do with reality. If you fall in that category I'd ask you make some attempt to try and filter out these sensationalist headlines and check for yourself to see if it has merit. These rules aren't going to change the ethanol content of the gas we put in our Jeeps.
ackchyually.png

😆

Honestly, I would bet they are doing it just to increase the cost of food. Using more ethenol will increase the feed lot costs of beef. Will increase the cost of chicken food, will increase the cost of hog food, etc... Fertilizer cost has already gone through the roof this year, herbicide is up at least 30% - so why not increase the cost of feed corn more while we are at it.

Honestly, I would bet they are doing it just to increase the cost of food. Using more ethenol will increase the feed lot costs of beef. Will increase the cost of chicken food, will increase the cost of hog food, etc... Fertilizer cost has already gone through the roof this year, herbicide is up at least 30% - so why not increase the cost of feed corn more while we are at it.

Just from a process perspective, I'm not sure how this would drive up food costs per se, after ethanol production, the corn is mostly left and still put out for feed. I've got a team member in Iowa that also has family pig farms, they love warm corn after the ethanol cooking process, or whatever. They're pretty big on all this in Iowa, he's pretty involved policy wise as well, and they argue pretty heavily that this is done and doesn't effect the feed amounts etc. Cost in general is way up, not arguing, but this isn't.

Now, Ethanol in general, can be debated. You trade things, and I'm with Jerry etc, if you don't have a modern "trade in vehicle" then ethanol can be an issue. In small motors big problems, but from my very limited experience, if you're putting it in, and using it quickly in vehicles, I haven't seen significant issue. Leave it sitting and it goes bad rapidly and causes all kinds of crap....

Reactions: Farmergreg
I think everyone is missing the point, that is to rid the country of all small motors. Lawn mowers, chainsaw, and the like.

The government is forcing everyone to move to battery operated equipment, and battery operated cars.

Or Im just paranoid

Feed is about calories, protean, and fat. Sure you can feed spent grains - but the nutricion is going to be different.

I used to brew beer. With beer, you malt the grains to active enzymes, trigger the enzimes to convert starches to sugars, then you disolve the sugars and leach them out. Not all that much is left in the spent grains other than the hulls. But sure, that is sold cheap as animal feed. The wart (which is very sweet sugar water), is then converted with yiest to create alcohol. My humble understanding is there is a few more steps with corn basted mash as corn will not create it's own enzymes the same way.

The inline 6 in our TJs (as well as the one on top of the 2.5's) flows pretty poorly in stock form. Major benefits can be had with a port and polish. For the applications most of us use our TJs for though, it's a waste of time and money since it's only a limitation in the higher rpm range.

I think everyone is missing the point, that is to rid the country of all small motors. Lawn mowers, chainsaw, and the like.

The government is forcing everyone to move to battery operated equipment, and battery operated cars.

Or Im just paranoid
that is undoubtedly the current regime's wet dream

Reactions: BlueC and Jmac00
FWIW, I often run the 15% Ethanol (E15) in my 01 4.0. I haven't noticed any problems and I actually pick up about 0.5-1MPG so when its cheaper than 87, I run it. Im also running through a tank or 2 a week, so a lot of the problems with water absorption just don't have time to come up.

...now E85, I'm not brave enough to try that without "flex-fuel", completely diffrent fuel.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Interesting. So no problems at all? When I ran e85 in my Silverado it would start, stumble, and finally come up to idle speed. Took several tanks of 10% to clear that out.

What year is your truck? My 2012 Toyota Sienna has a little sticker on the gas cap that says use up to 10% ethanol only, no e15-e85. I have been tempted to try e15 on some road trips where I know it'll be used up by the end of the day. I'd try it in my Jeep but I have a higher compression stroker that requires 93.

My Silverado was a 2008. Took a trip up to Michigan and saw all the e85 that was 30 cents cheaper and concentrated on using only e85. It felt like it had more power, but after getting back to Tennessee with very little e85 available it just didn’t run very good till about ten full tanks later. But my MPG’s on e85 went from 19mpg to 13mpg. It was the smaller v8 motor.