15% Ethanol is on the way

Ahhh, I thought you were talking about e15 not e85. I think I'm going to try e15 in the van next time I see it. I wonder why your truck acted weird with e85 though--it's flex fuel, right? I know some people running very high hp vehicles with aftermarket ECU supported flex fuel that run great. E85 is actually their preference but you just can't find it everywhere.

I'm not worried about the engine so much as the fuel system. I already have the 05-06 fuel burping issue caused by that swollen little plastic plunger thanks to E10, so what else might stop working after long term exposure?

Reactions: BlueC
I think everyone is missing the point, that is to rid the country of all small motors. Lawn mowers, chainsaw, and the like.

The government is forcing everyone to move to battery operated equipment, and battery operated cars.

Or Im just paranoid

20220609_070534.jpg

What does 2001 signify on our TJs where Ethanol is concerned?

Ethanol sure fucks up anything with any plastic content. My lawn mower carburetor had more plastic content than I was aware of and standard pump gasoline in California totally fucked them up. They wouldn't last long, I replaced the carburetors several times. I replaced one lawn mower before I realized replacing the carburetor would have fixed it. When the replacement was needing yet another carburetor I sold it to a lawn mower repair shop and bought a Toro 60 volt electric lawn mower. Fucking Ethanol!!!! :mad:

Hey Jerry don’t know about California but now that your in FL you can buy non ethanol at most Wawa stations and others

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
What does 2001 signify on our TJs where Ethanol is concerned?

Ethanol sure fucks up anything with any plastic content. My lawn mower carburetor had more plastic content than I was aware of and standard pump gasoline in California totally fucked them up. They wouldn't last long, I replaced the carburetors several times. I replaced one lawn mower before I realized replacing the carburetor would have fixed it. When the replacement was needing yet another carburetor I sold it to a lawn mower repair shop and bought a Toro 60 volt electric lawn mower. Fucking Ethanol!!!! :mad:

Im guessin the 2001 and prior cam from this article. https://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=237204&article_id=1878579&view=articleBrowser&ver=html5

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I guess you are right. There is zero mechanically different in 4.0s at least between earlier and later TJs that would be affected differently by e15. Same compression, port injection, no knock sensors, etc.

Other then the hydroscopic nature of ethanol (which is a valid concern for vehicles that sit for extended periods) and lines that aren't compatible (some older vehicles and small engines) I don't see an issue running it.

The original post and attached article is misleading and political hyperbole at best.

I guess you are right. There is zero mechanically different in 4.0s at least between earlier and later TJs that would be affected differently by e15. Same compression, port injection, no knock sensors, etc.

Other then the hydroscopic nature of ethanol (which is a valid concern for vehicles that sit for extended periods) and lines that aren't compatible (some older vehicles and small engines) I don't see an issue running it.

The original post and attached article is misleading and political hyperbole at best.

hygroscopic ;)

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I just noticed this thread and before even clicking I saw the POLITICS lights flashing. Just wondering how it's still here in TJ General Discussion. FWIW I'm offended so no biggy.

Still waaay too many vehicles on the road requiring gas with max of 10% ethanol

Upping the percentage of ethanol will fix that. 15% may not be permanent...yet.

This propaganda effort will go over about as well as Resident Joe Potato's sixteen cents 4th of July cookout savings last year.

Back when he was a youngster, kids used to dream of having a dime when they grew up. While his whole family is far beyond that, he's mentally back in time and thinks that dime plus an extra nickel and penny will buy him even more votes.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I just noticed this thread and before even clicking I saw the POLITICS lights flashing. Just wondering how it's still here in TJ General Discussion.

Back when he was a youngster, kids used to dream of having a dime when they grew up. While his whole family is far beyond that, he's mentally back in time and thinks that dime plus an extra nickel and penny will buy him even more votes.

4b9p4o.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
It's a desperate move that will only benefit corporate agriculture. It will raise the price of food, increase smog, and damage older engines, tanks and pipelines. I'd rather that we subsidize refineries (especially the little guys) if we're serious about long-term control.

The last president tried to do the same thing, but courts struck it down as illegal so I can't understand why some see this as a partisan issue. More than ever we need to find common ground to get important things done. Unfortunately for us, a divided populace is much easier to control.

Ahhh, I thought you were talking about e15 not e85. I think I'm going to try e15 in the van next time I see it. I wonder why your truck acted weird with e85 though--it's flex fuel, right? I know some people running very high hp vehicles with aftermarket ECU supported flex fuel that run great. E85 is actually their preference but you just can't find it everywhere.

I have used e85 in the performance world for almost 20 years, and I would totally use it in the TJ for my setup save 2 main issues. One being the availability and two the consumption. Around me in Texas there are very few stations that sell it and the price is not low enough to offset the availability or mileage loss. Also my current mileage is around 200 miles per tank and e85 would probably push that down to 100-150 or so. My computer has the ability to add a flex sensor and compensate for ethanol content, but the advantages aren't worth the disadvantages right now.

Also for those worried about damage I can say from experience having run e85 in many different vehicles that were not designed for it I never had one fail or become damaged from the e85. I did have one set of old low impedance Bosch injectors from an '80s car start to plug up a bit and cause a misfire, but that was the only one in probably hundreds. The US has been blending ethanol into fuel since the '80s in some areas and for sure widespread by the '90s. E85 has been available at pumps in the midwest since around '01 that I can remember. The OEMs have known about e10 since that time or before and have been using compatible materials accordingly. Lawn mowers and boats are a different story. The tech there seems to lag about 10-15 years behind. Although my 8 year old Honda mower has an e10 compatible sticker on it.

It is also been my experience that "ethanol free" gasoline is often a scam. In my early days of using e85 I had a ethanol test kit so I could test the e85 for actual content. E85 is often times e65-e85 depending on time of year etc.. I also tested some other fuels at the time and of all the "ethanol free" pumps I tested there were only 2 or 3 that had no quantifiable ethanol present. All the others had between 5-10% ethanol content. It's a marketing scam to get you to pay more $$$ for the same fuel.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
It is also been my experience that "ethanol free" gasoline is often a scam. In my early days of using e85 I had a ethanol test kit so I could test the e85 for actual content. E85 is often times e65-e85 depending on time of year etc.. I also tested some other fuels at the time and of all the "ethanol free" pumps I tested there were only 2 or 3 that had no quantifiable ethanol present. All the others had between 5-10% ethanol content. It's a marketing scam to get you to pay more $$$ for the same fuel.

Good to know , one station with E-free gas makes my 71hotrod truck run great ! no vapor lock , good hot soak starts , good mileage etc.
The other station' s E- free gas is pure shit , vapor lock , hot soak starts suck , fair mileage.

I always try to think it has more to do with a brain dead tanker driver dropping in the wrong tank vs. outright fraud, but who knows.

Good to know , one station with E-free gas makes my 71hotrod truck run great ! no vapor lock , good hot soak starts , good mileage etc.
The other station' s E- free gas is pure shit , vapor lock , hot soak starts suck , fair mileage.

I always try to think it has more to do with a brain dead tanker driver dropping in the wrong tank vs. outright fraud, but who knows.

I am envious of your optimism. One thing I noticed it was almost always the "independent" stations that advertised the ethanol free. :unsure: