1999 TJ Reverse Door Handles

Funny, I used to own a YJ 25 years ago…… always missed it and after several 4x4 over the years, recently bought a super low mileage TJ.
when I first tried opening the door fumbled around with pulling the handle and couldn’t figure out why…… happened to me on several occasions over the last couple of months. This post completely explains why. As soon as I get back from my business trip I will be doing this mod. Pulling with your four fingers with left hand as you walk up to drivers door is way more intuitive then lifting with your thumb. Thanks for the original post. I knew something felt awkward when I bought the TJ.

Safety reasons! Handles were reversed so people can pull the doors open easier from the outside in an accident.

I don't understand why anyone would do this. I've never looked at my door handles and thought they would be better facing the other direction.

It's your Jeep though, do what you want. I'll focus on mods that make it more capable.

Reactions: psrivats
I don't understand why anyone would do this. I've never looked at my door handles and thought they would be better facing the other direction.

It's your Jeep though, do what you want. I'll focus on mods that make it more capable.

You don't know what you are missing. The door handles on the Jeep TJ are backwards. Seriously. When you reverse them and try it the other way, it becomes VERY obvious.

The 1976 - 1986 CJ and the 1987 - 1995 YJ had the exact same door handles and they face the other direction.

Reactions: Ken G Ford

I am the same with the door handles but I have a RHD so maybe its different for the LHD the way you get in? but I open both doors at least twice a day and the one on the left still doesn't bother me!
I suppose it only really bothers those who have had older jeeps with the handle opening the other way, I cant remember driving a vehicle with these type handles the other way apart from the odd heavy?

I cant find the article now but the mention was the TJ handles were switched to this way to make them easier to open from outside by third parties in an accident or emergency but you can never be sure what's true or not on the internet.

Last edited:
Long before seeing any chatter about reversing the handles I felt they were backwards. Both my wife and daughter said, unsolicited, that the handles feel backwards. This is on my winter to-do list...

Reactions: Ken G Ford
Another thing I didn't know I don't need to do! :)

As a recent TJ owner, the very first time I opened the door (when looking at my LJ at the PO's house), I thought, "these handles seem backwards." However, I did look at them, contemplating a switch, and conclude that they seemed done properly with regards to not catching trail debris, so I left them. Now, 4+ months later, I don't even notice the difference...

As a recent TJ owner, the very first time I opened the door (when looking at my LJ at the PO's house), I thought, "these handles seem backwards." However, I did look at them, contemplating a switch, and conclude that they seemed done properly with regards to not catching trail debris, so I left them. Now, 4+ months later, I don't even notice the difference...

Yes, you may be right:

They may have been installed backwards on the TJ to help prevent catching trail debris, or to prevent mud from the front tires from packing in the handle, or maybe even to open easier by third parties in the case of an accident or emergency. :rolleyes:

But they are *backwards* any time the driver or a passenger has to open up their door to get into the Jeep.

I just bought my BlueTJ not too long ago and it had red full doors that had a bad green paint job on them. PO had just swapped to full doors and I was happy about that. I thought whoever had done the crappy paint job had put the handles on wrong. I will be stripping the doors completely down so when I go back I will be changing the door handles . It has been awkward to me to open the doors since I got it. Glad I found the thread and I will look at how the rod works when I take them apart. New handles are a good idea too.