2005-2006 TJs: OPDA and other problems?

Because it's not the stock one, that was prone to failure.

And, it could be causing damage now, without failing.
To be clear I do not care if it is changed or not, but this logic is part of the issue with the OPDA failure bordering on "over-hype" IMO. Only ~10% of manufactured vehicles were effected by the recall. The OP has an 06 with +57K miles on the clock and the original OPDA. From my understanding, unless Crown has changed what they are doing, they did not change the design meaning that a new OPDA will be exactly like the one he pulls. Using the logic of "it could be causing damage now, without failing" seems problematic especially if applied to everything unknown.

As I see it the OP has 3 options - 1) Don't worry about it until it fails, replace and move on. 2) Install a new unit now, or 3) inspect the current OPDA. Two ways to inspect, pull the unit and look at it or drop the oil pan and inspect from the bottom. While there he can replace the RSM cause it is most likely leaking (at least this would fit the logic of "it could be causing damage now, without failing").

So the question still remains "how exactly will you know the new one is better than the old one"

Reactions: Thedogsbollocks
Overruled-argumentative.

You don't know. It's called preventative maintenance. And my understanding is that crown did update jeeps design.

Do you wait until your tires are showing cords and then only replace the ones with the cords showing? Or would rather not deal with a flat and/or a blowout?

Hi guys, I didn't think it would trigger this chaos, but I'm realizing that there are actually two or more schools of thought about OPDA. From what I see, even Tom, who has 113k miles on his 2006 "almost double my size" had no OPDA problems and his OPDA has about 100 numbers after mine if I'm not mistaken. In this regard, I will buy "as soon as the seller gives me an answer" the new OPDA of the crown as recommended on the forum, but at the same time, I also understood that overall there is only a percentage of means that actually encountered the problem, and not all of them regardless, which calms me. I also seem to understand that before the total failure of the OPDA, there are several warnings, noise in the bonnet, possible warning light on, rpm that do not go up, pressure gauge that goes down. At the same time, on another of my vehicles "that worked perfectly" an official recall of the house was made due to a defect in distribution, with a disastrous result only after a few km due to a further defect not calculated by the person who assembled the parts, the which fear me to remove a working piece. All this is leading me to rethink the immediate replacement of my OPDA as they are still near the oil coupon, missing 2 or 3 weeks and covering about 250 miles a month, and therefore, I can view the status of my current OPDA, removing the engine oil sump and keeping the new one in stock, ready to assemble in case of need. In the end, the replacement of the OPDA does not seem to me to be a particularly difficult job to perform, even if it were to break down in the street, it would be possible to replace it with a few tools and some time available. In this way, I go back to focusing on the changes I would like to make to my toy. In the meantime, I thank all those who have intervened to support and advise me on what to do, and it would be nice to know if there are others traveling with original OPDA on these years and what mileage they have without having yet received any problems. I apologize if my language is not very clear, but I am trying to help myself with the translators because I am not very good at it.😃

So is the Crown OPDA from Quadratec different from the Crown from other sources? I've seen the "Crown from Quadratec " mentioned several times. Wouldn't it be the same one that Summit or others sells?

If I were in @Angio4x4 's position I would purchase and install the Crown OPDA, use the factory sensor rather than the sensor provided by Crown, and never think about the issue again.

It is a simple, permanent and relatively inexpensive fix to a design problem that only affects a small percentage of the 2005 and 2006 production run. There is no need to make it a big deal.

As to any differences between the Crown OPDA sold by Quadratec and the Crown OPDA sold by anyone else - there are none. It is the same part.

From my understanding, unless Crown has changed what they are doing, they did not change the design meaning that a new OPDA will be exactly like the one he pulls.

So the question still remains "how exactly will you know the new one is better than the old one"

Design changed after acknowledging a problem
0BCBD982-D879-4D87-ADE8-B7B127DB3439.jpeg

Sometimes, the first sign that you have a problem with the OPDA is that the CEL comes on. And sometimes, when that happens, your cam is already ruined. At that point, you're facing a very expensive repair instead of a very inexpensive preventive maintenance action.

Sometimes, I would argue most of the time, you'll spend less in the long run avoiding well-known potential failures rather than waiting for them to occur even though they may never occur. You'll most definitely end up stranded less often (unless you use crappy parts).

For example, I replaced my radiator even though it was not leaking at all. Now I don't have to worry about it blowing out in some remote canyon. I guess if you never stray far from home, letting things predictably fail represents a lower risk to health and well-being.

I had this problem on my 05 TJ with roughly 80k miles on it. There were no warning signs. It drove fine the day before. I fired up the Jeep and it started squealing bad. The sound was loud and easy to hear over the engine. Luckily I heard of the issue before, and I put my hand on the OPDA cap and could feel it. I was lucky it happened at home before I left. I put the Crown replacement in with the OEM sensor and so far so good. My cam gear was not ruined.

You shouldn't worry too much, but from my experience on this one, its a good idea to replace it if you can.

It easy to replace. I rotated my engine to where the pin alignment holes lined up on the OPDA and for double measure marked the original OPDA base before I removed it.

Thanks a lot guys, I ordered the new OPDA Crown Automotive, it took me a few days because not everyone had for sale OPDA Crown Automotive. Soon I will give a nice general refresh to my TJ with a complete coupon.

Do you need to order a new gasket too? Seem to remember a few folks saying oil leeked/sprayed after the OPDA swap out. Mine just arrived. No gasket with it. Swap now and hope for the best, or get a new gasket to be safe?

Ciao, grazie. Bye thank you. At the moment I have not yet installed the opda because the Tj is stopped during the week, I am very busy between work all day and studying during the night, so I'm taking advantage of it to buy some things to install on my toy as soon as I will have a little more free time from university studies. In this way I keep my morale high. 😁👍💪

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Don't worry about any of it.

These problems are in my opinion blown out of proportion (just like everything else) thanks to the internet.

I've owned two 2005 models and never had an issue with either. You only read bad things on the internet, rarely ever do you read good things.

That being said, I honestly wouldn't worry about any of this at all.
I've been dealing with this shit design opda on a 2005 for weeks. I don't think it was blown out of proportion I think you just got lucky.

Reactions: Fishtaco and Chris