2005 TJ Rubicon with random automatic transmission slipping

Dcovi92

Hi all!

new to the forum and have a strange thing goin on with my 05 rubi auto trans. In early January I felt the Jeep slip going about 65 on the highway. The RPMs shot up but no power to the wheels. I let off the gas and I immediately felt re-engagement and I took off just fine and got home. The whole occurrence was about 3-5 seconds. I got her home and checked for any leaks or burnt ATF smell and nothing. I thought I’d keep an eye on it and go from there. Well it happened again about 500 miles later. I decided I’d drop the pan and change fluid and filter. Not a full flush. Didn’t happen again for 1000 miles and I thought I was in the clear but no. At this point I’m thinking it has to be electrical with how infrequent it happens. I’ve tried to manually recreate it by getting on the gas going up hills but everything acts fine. It shifts fine 100% of the time and when I feel the slipping it’s not when the trans is trying to shift. It seems to happen when my foot is steadily down on the pedal going about 2100-3500 RPMs although it has happened city driving going about 35-40 MPH as well. But again my foot is steady on the pedal, not heavy or too light. Just normal driving and bam it pops out. I let off the gas, RPMs come down and on I go. It has never happened twice in the same day, or even twice on the drive. I’ve swapped out upper and lower speed sensors, throttle position sensor and like I said above ive dropped the pan and changed fluid and filter. I don’t think it’s related but I did get a bank 2 O2 sensor code about a month before this started happening and swapped it out with the proper NTK sensor. Could the two be related? Also the tj has 89k on it. Do I possibly need the trans rebuilt? I’m under the impression it has to be electrical not mechanical seeing as how it’s so ran down and I can’t recreate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Based on this description I would suspect either a transmission or PCM issue. How many miles on the transmission?
89k on the trans. Anyway to test the pcm? I’ve had a few people tell me to take it to the dealership and have the pcm scanned and possibly updated if it needs one.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
The PCMs for the 05-06 automatic transmission are known to have significant issues. A lot of people end up having to replace it.
You might want to read through this thread to get an idea of what is going on:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-06-pcm-issue-is-solved.21699/
@Wranglerfix is an active member in here who sells replacement PCMs using cores from another vehicle (meaning the issues won’t repeat themselves), and may be able to help you determine if it is transmission related or PCM related.

The PCMs for the 05-06 automatic transmission are known to have significant issues. A lot of people end up having to replace it.
You might want to read through this thread to get an idea of what is going on:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-06-pcm-issue-is-solved.21699/
@Wranglerfix is an active member in here who sells replacement PCMs using cores from another vehicle (meaning the issues won’t repeat themselves), and may be able to help you determine if it is transmission related or PCM related.
I’m reading thru that thread right now! Lots of good information. It seems the tell tale sign of the pcm being bad is the hard 1-2 shifts. All my shifts seem to be smooth. Not sure if that’s the only sign of the pcm? Or if that points more to the trans? I’m prolly dumb but I keep coming back to the fact it happens so randomly and I can’t recreate it and I want to point at the pcm. But I’m not sure. I’ll try and get ahold of wranglerfix and see if he can help. Thanks so much for the info and help!

I would suspect the transmission first, but the PCM would be a close second. It’s possible the clutch packs in the transmission are just worn out, and it needs rebuilt.

Might be just the beginning of things to come. Over the course of a year; mine started slipping, then running hot, then converter shudder, then solenoid code, and finally limp mode. Currently deciding between replacement and rebuild. 120K miles

I would suspect the transmission first, but the PCM would be a close second. It’s possible the clutch packs in the transmission are just worn out, and it needs rebuilt.
That was my first thought when all this started happening was the clutch packs. If the clutch packs were worn would it slip every drive? Or would it happen randomly like I’m experiencing?

Might be just the beginning of things to come. Over the course of a year; mine started slipping, then running hot, then converter shudder, then solenoid code, and finally limp mode. Currently deciding between replacement and rebuild. 120K miles
Dang man, that sucks! When you say started running hot, you’re talking trans fluid right?

@Wranglerfix is the go to guy for PCM issues. He can test it for you and rule it out.
Awesome! Thanks! To run any sort of test I’m guessing the pcm will need to be pulled and sent out to him? Or is there something I can do with it in the Jeep? I’m not having the hard 1-2 shifts so I’m not sure if unplugging it would help too much in my case?

Awesome! Thanks! To run any sort of test I’m guessing the pcm will need to be pulled and sent out to him? Or is there something I can do with it in the Jeep? I’m not having the hard 1-2 shifts so I’m not sure if unplugging it would help too much in my case?

Not 100% sure, but he will chime in shortly or you can send him a PM.

Unplugging certainly won't hurt, it's definitely worth a try to rule out.

Not 100% sure, but he will chime in shortly or you can send him a PM.

Unplugging certainly won't hurt, it's definitely worth a try to rule out.
Cool thanks! Will be waiting for him to reply and if not I’ll send him a PM. By chance have you needed a pcm from him? If so, how has it held up for you? I’m reading the big 17 page thread on it now and reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive. I just don’t want to drop $500 if the pcm is not the real issue.

Yes. Weird though; trans temp (in the pan) was high, but my cooler (with thermostat) does not kick on.
Huh that is real strange. I still haven’t gotten around to putting on an aux trans cooler but it’s on the short list of things to do. As soon as I figure out this slipping problem. Good luck with your rig! Hope you get it all sorted and back on the trails soon!

Cool thanks! Will be waiting for him to reply and if not I’ll send him a PM. By chance have you needed a pcm from him? If so, how has it held up for you? I’m reading the big 17 page thread on it now and reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive. I just don’t want to drop $500 if the pcm is not the real issue.

No, not me personally. However, countless members on this forum have gone though him, and he is nothing by the best-of-the-best, trust me on that.

He won't sell you something unless you actually need it, that's the type of guy he is.

I just finished a massive 17 page thread on his pcms and the amount of praising and recommending was amazing! He definitely seems like a straight shooter. I just sent him a message to see if he can potentially help me diagnose it as the pcm. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

@Dcovie92 Please give me a call at 866-888-7710... I will get You a return label issued and test the pcm in our Jeep.

I don’t believe this is a PCM issue. The ‘05-‘06 shifting issues appear to be related to adaptive memory failure.

Is the transmission slipping with overdrive On as well as Off (in 3rd and 4th gear), TCC locked and unlocked. If the transmission truly is slipping, it should set a code. Cycle the ignition from off to on three times and see if any codes show in the odometer readout.

If this were my Jeep, I’d make sure all power and grounds for the battery and harness are clean and tight. Follow that by inspecting the wiring harness loom for chafing and removing and cleaning the connections at the transmission sensors. You should also check the Transmission Control relay and #5 20A fuse in the PDC to make sure there is no corrosion.

If the clutch material were worn, your transmission would slip all the time in the affected gears. I would suspect that a solenoid is not properly controlling fluid flow and pressure through the valve body. This could be an issue with the wiring or the solenoid. If you don’t find any issues with the wiring, take it to a shop for testing. They can test the valve body and, with the proper software, simulate driving conditions to test the solenoids.

I don’t believe this is a PCM issue. The ‘05-‘06 shifting issues appear to be related to adaptive memory failure.

Is the transmission slipping with overdrive On as well as Off (in 3rd and 4th gear), TCC locked and unlocked. If the transmission truly is slipping, it should set a code. Cycle the ignition from off to on three times and see if any codes show in the odometer readout.

If this were my Jeep, I’d make sure all power and grounds for the battery and harness are clean and tight. Follow that by inspecting the wiring harness loom for chafing and removing and cleaning the connections at the transmission sensors. You should also check the Transmission Control relay and #5 20A fuse in the PDC to make sure there is no corrosion.

If the clutch material were worn, your transmission would slip all the time in the affected gears. I would suspect that a solenoid is not properly controlling fluid flow and pressure through the valve body. This could be an issue with the wiring or the solenoid. If you don’t find any issues with the wiring, take it to a shop for testing. They can test the valve body and, with the proper software, simulate driving conditions to test the solenoids.
So I did drive it around everyday for about 2 weeks with the overdrive off and it would still do it. Every time I felt the slip it would also kick overdrive back on automatically. I’m not 100% sure what you mean by TCC locked or unlocked. The TCC is the torque converter clutch solenoid right?

I have cycled the ignition multiple times and every time I just get the “done” message with no codes being displayed. I’ll trace back the battery harness and make sure that’s all good today. The connections at the transmission you’re taking about the input and output speed sensors? Or just any connection going to the trans? Thanks for your info and I’ll be checking grounds and connections later today.