2005 TJ X

I'm not sure what they did but I just installed the later version that is seen in the build thread and it is twice the carrier the first versions were. Lot of folks had issues when they didn't get the tire hard against the snubbers with the gate closed and that tore up the carrier.

I believe you nailed why my tailgate is warped.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not sure what they did but I just installed the later version that is seen in the build thread and it is twice the carrier the first versions were. Lot of folks had issues when they didn't get the tire hard against the snubbers with the gate closed and that tore up the carrier.

Any chance you've got photos of both versions? I ask because I'm planning on ordering an ExoGate, but if they did indeed modify the design, I'd like to make sure I get the latest version!

Any chance you've got photos of both versions? I ask because I'm planning on ordering an ExoGate, but if they did indeed modify the design, I'd like to make sure I get the latest version!

I am going by Dino's shop (Scorpion Motorsports) tomorrow afternoon for some progress photos.

The design has been modified. Where they used 2" rectangular tubing they now use solid plate on the tailgate surround. The hinges are also different.

The design has been modified. Where they used 2" rectangular tubing they now use solid plate on the tailgate surround. The hinges are also different.

If you do happen to snap some photos of the new design, I'd love to see it. That way when I order mine, I can make sure it's the new design, so that I don't end up in your situation (though I admittedly don't wheel mine as hard as you do, but nonetheless).

Reactions: John Beard
Getting some roll cage upgrades...

Roll Cage Upgrade 1.jpg

Roll Cage Upgrade 2.jpg

If you do happen to snap some photos of the new design, I'd love to see it. That way when I order mine, I can make sure it's the new design, so that I don't end up in your situation (though I admittedly don't wheel mine as hard as you do, but nonetheless).
I'd like to see the changes also, thanks.

My revised plan included a salvage yard engine and transmission out of a late model Chevy truck...but alas the wiring harness is the financial burden. $2,500.00 for motor and transmission, $10,000.00 for the new wiring harness, loom, and computer(s), $2,000.00 labor to do the engine swap, and another $2,500.00 for an Atlas Transfer Case...and the engine swap alone is close to $20,000.00 to $25,000.00. Then I have to swap out my Dana 44s that I installed a mere 18 months ago when I swapped them out for the Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear with Rock Jock 60s, $7,300.00 front and $4,500.00 rear. The build would be phenomenal, and too darn expensive.
Note: realizing I was replying to some of the first few comments in your build thread. Jeep is looking great!

Soooo, with the spare now in the backseat of the TJ, there is even less space to store stuff. The essentials fit, my flat bags of tools fit, my recovery and first aid kit(s) fit, and my soft sided cooler for up to 20 bottles of water fit kinda. I'm covered for a day on the trail. Camping with the TJ is another matter.

I am scheduled to do the Rubicon Trail with a max of 20 Jeeps July 8-11, 2018. I need to pack for 3 days of food and water, plus spare parts, and the essentials...stay tuned for a few modifications that will include a removable passenger seat so that a 64 qt Dometic Refrigerator/freezer will fit on a fabricated bracket. Another modification will include a trail rack for the bulky stuff (sleeping bag, small tent, etc.).