2005 TJ X

When I worked on lawn mowers one of the things I'd hear is "it wasn't running right so I replaced this or that and now it won't run at all, must be something else."
Every time I heard that I checked whatever they "fixed" and it was almost always the issue.
Yes, but that "not running right" is just the engine and not the result of bolting on a larger heavier blade, and using it daily to mow the city park with a fouled plug and bad gas. Not to mention the irony of you not making your own case. You've pointed out the ineptitude of Joe Homeowner who like a lot of folks that work on their rigs, should instead limit his mechanical endeavors to keeping the wheels on his kid's tricycles from falling off.

Reactions: JimT
Greater irony is found in the fact that lots of people think us and the world are not designed to function a certain way, and that they can do anything they want without consequences. Ok, enough philosophy, but it's the same as what people do with their Jeeps!

Reactions: Chris
No, not at all. It is only ironic if we never lift the rig, and alter it's weight and stance. Once you do those things then there are changes that need to be made to the suspension, steering, and brakes to compensate since the vehicle is no longer operating within its "as designed" parameters.
Don't look to deep into it, it's just a little humorous irony.

Yes, but that "not running right" is just the engine and not the result of bolting on a larger heavier blade, and using it daily to mow the city park with a fouled plug and bad gas. Not to mention the irony of you not making your own case. You've pointed out the ineptitude of Joe Homeowner who like a lot of folks that work on their rigs, should instead limit his mechanical endeavors to keeping the wheels on his kid's tricycles from falling off.
I had a landscaper that needed to have his zero turn fixed, it wouldn't cut. What I found was the belt had broken, and his repair was to use electrical tape to attach a rubber bungee cord to reconnect the deck belt. So maybe some people should leave it to their local shop.

I had a landscaper that needed to have his zero turn fixed, it wouldn't cut. What I found was the belt had broken, and his repair was to use electrical tape to attach a rubber bungee cord to reconnect the deck belt. So maybe some people should leave it to their local shop.

X2

Reactions: JMT
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the labor to install the Savvy Mid Arm Suspension. I get the TJ back on Tuesday morning after they complete the install of my on board air system (Twin ARB).

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the labor to install the Savvy Mid Arm Suspension. I get the TJ back on Tuesday morning after they complete the install of my on board air system (Twin ARB).

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of this once it's complete. I'm also very anxious to hear your impressions, on what may arguably be the best lift out there.

How much is the labor if you don't mind me asking?

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of this once it's complete. I'm also very anxious to hear your impressions, on what may arguably be the best lift out there.

How much is the labor if you don't mind me asking?
Labor is in the $1,500.00 range including expendables, welding supplies and such.

I got the TJ home with the new Savvy Mid Arm Suspension and on board air... the suspension on the ride home was better than the short arm. I am looking forward to crawling some rocks. That is after this freaking heat wave lets up.

Reactions: bobthetj03
So, let me see if I can reconstruct my build sheet:
Dana 44 F&R w/4.88
Chromoly Axles
4" Currie Springs
Savvy Mid Arm Suspension
Fox 2.0 Shocks
Trail Gear Crawler Beadlock Wheels
Goodyear MT/R 35 x 12.50 R17
Savvy Rock Rails
Savvy Corner Armor
Metalcloak Fenders
PRP Seats and Harnesses
Poison Spyder Fully Welded Cage
Savvy Gas Tank Skid
Stock Air Box and Filter
ARB Twin Compressor mounted under the hood
1" Body Lift
Warn 9.5 CTIs winch
Modified Rock Hard 4x4 Bumpers F&R
GR8Tops Exogate

I just sent the TJ into the shop to have the roll cage reinforced, getting the spare tire relocated to the back seat, and some general maintenance items done.
I had a great 6 weeks last September 23 through November 4, 2017. Started off in Moab and did every obstacle on every trail I could find. The mid-arm suspension performed most excellently. I noticed during the past few months of wheeling that my spare tire is in the way sitting on the tailgate. My tailgate was warped and is cracking and that with the GR8Tops Hinge Upgrade. So, I've opted to spend some money and have it done right. I'm using DOM tubing the spare tire will sit at about a 45 degree angle to the tub, allowing me to use the rear view mirror and my hardtop. Although going topless is much more attractive to me as I engage bigger and bigger challenges. But hey a TJ can only do what a TJ can do,
Hopefully I'll see the TJ tomorrow when I do a shop visit, and take some photos of the progress.

the ExoGate isn't working for you, is that what I'm understanding?

I can't say it isn't working. I am just doing more and more that puts stress on the tailgate. Without the Exogate my tailgate would have been shattered many, many months ago. My tailgate does not sag more than 1/16", with a 35" Goodyear MT/R on 17" Trail Gear wheels. So yes, I would have to say that the Exogate is doing its job.

I can't say it isn't working. I am just doing more and more that puts stress on the tailgate. Without the Exogate my tailgate would have been shattered many, many months ago. My tailgate does not sag more than 1/16", with a 35" Goodyear MT/R on 17" Trail Gear wheels. So yes, I would have to say that the Exogate is doing its job.

I gotcha! You've just got the added abuse of a bigger, heavier tire, plus all the stress put on the tailgate from the trails. Makes perfect sense! Are you going to replace it with a bumper and built-in tire carrier?

I gotcha! You've just got the added abuse of a bigger, heavier tire, plus all the stress put on the tailgate from the trails. Makes perfect sense! Are you going to replace it with a bumper and built-in tire carrier?

No, I amusing DOM tubing to reinforce my roll cage and a removable section using DOM tubing for the tire carrier that will be installed where the backseat used to be.

the ExoGate isn't working for you, is that what I'm understanding?
I'm not sure what they did but I just installed the later version that is seen in the build thread and it is twice the carrier the first versions were. Lot of folks had issues when they didn't get the tire hard against the snubbers with the gate closed and that tore up the carrier.