2006 Jeep LJ build thread

Picked up a 2017 Jeep Compass for the wife this weekend. It was end of month/end of quarter and we got a smoking deal! Came with all options except for a receiver hitch. I know I know... new Jeeps suck and the old ones are where it's at. But sometimes you just sleep better at night knowing your wife (and potential future children) is in a nice safe car that hopefully shouldn't have any issues. Plus happy wife happy life. She is pretty happy so I guess I'm doing something right. And yes it is 4x4 lol.View attachment 22846

I ended up selling my OEM soft top for $400 and a set of TNT rear spring correction brackets (total value of $160). I believe they make a welded option but the one he gave me is a bolt on. I'm completely ok with it though especially seeing as I got it for free pretty much. Very pleased since the top only cost me $50 out of pocket! Been a pretty great weekend so far.
View attachment 22847
Only issue now is that I have $400 burning a hole in my pocket. Can't decide what jeep to spend it on. I know... it's a first world problem. Here are my options below. Tell me what you think.

1. Receiver hitch for the new compass.
- Reason: we have a Thule bike carrier and it's nice to have. Plus ups the resale value a little bit.
View attachment 22850
2. TJ/LJ Tuffy console for the Jeepster that will need to be modified to fit/look right but will look great with our interior and new hand brake we just installed. We would cut off the front part. Would hold the new style head deck in our Jeepster on one side (we have the factory one in the dash for looks) and would have the hand brake on the other. Not to mention the added security.
View attachment 22851

3. Undercover fab skid plate and Novak cable shifter combo. Will have to wait and get the drive shaft around Christmas time to complete the belly up skid.
View attachment 22852

Also here is a pic of the TNT customs spring relocation. Check it out!
View attachment 22848
Hmm...that's novel by TNT. Looks like it will give a little boost too. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. As always, you have great taste. I'd spring for the cargo carrier and put the rest toward the belly up

Hmm...that's novel by TNT. Looks like it will give a little boost too. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. As always, you have great taste. I'd spring for the cargo carrier and put the rest toward the belly up
I appreciate the input! On the TNT customs page it states that it will raise the back end up a little bit but is great when you are adding extra weight to the back such as a tire carrier. Says it will level back out after you add the extra weight.

When you say cargo hauler do you mean the receiver hitch or console? Lol

I appreciate the input! On the TNT customs page it states that it will raise the back end up a little bit but is great when you are adding extra weight to the back such as a tire carrier. Says it will level back out after you add the extra weight.

When you say cargo hauler do you mean the receiver hitch or console? Lol
Oops, meant to say receiver hitch for the Jeep Compass. Knowing how much I use one for carrying our MTB's, and assuming you use yours, its one of those items you use on a day to day basis. Just seems practical Sorry for the confusion!

Reactions: Jeepersteve71
Oops, meant to say receiver hitch for the Jeep Compass. Knowing how much I use one for carrying our MTB's, and assuming you use yours, its one of those items you use on a day to day basis. Just seems practical Sorry for the confusion!
I was thinking the same. They are going to buff out the scratches in the paint that are on the door but decided not to replace the factory bumper skin and in return are tinting the windows, giving us the all weather mats, and the tonneau cover. If I get the receiver hitch it will replace this factory skin. The scratch isn't that big of a deal but it'd be nice for it not to be there and have a receiver hitch too
IMG_6383.JPG

Reactions: Starrs
IMG_9269.JPG
IMG_9270.JPG
IMG_9271.JPG
IMG_9272.JPG
I also got a different vehicle this wknd lol. 2014 accord V6 coupe. Grand Cherokee was killing me on gas, and this thing gets 30plus mpgs. Just something to drive through the week to work and back. Tj for the wknds. My GF wants a new bodystyle compass really bad. She likes the limited over the trailhawk and I think I have to agree. anyway didn't mean to hijack your thread. Compass looks great!

Reactions: Jeepersteve71
View attachment 22883 View attachment 22884 View attachment 22885 View attachment 22886 I also got a different vehicle this wknd lol. 2014 accord V6 coupe. Grand Cherokee was killing me on gas, and this thing gets 30plus mpgs. Just something to drive through the week to work and back. Tj for the wknds. My GF wants a new bodystyle compass really bad. She likes the limited over the trailhawk and I think I have to agree. anyway didn't mean to hijack your thread. Compass looks great!
Haha I agree. We like the trailhawk compass more than the trailhawk Renegades. We just came out to a 2015 limited Renegade. Haven't had one issue with it and liked it a lot. But this has so much more and I think we actually made a little bit of money on the trade. These rims we thought look the best on the compass but the strange thing is that they are 19's lol. I've always heard of 18's and 20's but never 19's. The suspension and acoustics are worlds apart compared to the Renegade. This this is super queit and super smooth. Has the beats audio too and it sounds really good.

Congrats on the new purchase! That looks really clean!

Reactions: Starrs
Haha I agree. We like the trailhawk compass more than the trailhawk Renegades. We just came out to a 2015 limited Renegade. Haven't had one issue with it and liked it a lot. But this has so much more and I think we actually made a little bit of money on the trade. These rims we thought look the best on the compass but the strange thing is that they are 19's lol. I've always heard of 18's and 20's but never 19's. The suspension and acoustics are worlds apart compared to the Renegade. This this is super queit and super smooth. Has the beats audio too and it sounds really good.

Congrats on the new purchase! That looks really clean!
19s?? That is strange. Yea we test drive one awhile back, and they are nice.

19s?? That is strange. Yea we test drive one awhile back, and they are nice.
We didn't keep our Renegade long enough to have to buy tires for it. I'm curious how pricey these are going to be lol. Won't be doing much off-roading with 19's though haha. the 4x4 on this one is mostly for the resale value and bad weather days (if even needed at all).

Soooo been a while since I’ve been on here. Haven’t done a ton to the Jeep but gearing up to do a refresh on the interior of the Jeepster and hopefully will have a few things instore for the LJ. We started getting a pretty decent oil leak so we had it checked out. Our best guess is the valve cover gasket so we are starting there. Replaced it last weekend with a buddy and so far so good. Hopeing that will fix the problem and no more oil leaks!

While we were working on it we did some trial and error tests on our e brake in the LJ. We have new shoes on it but it doesn’t give you that warm fuzzy “my Jeep isn’t going anywhere with this thing locked in feeling”. Come to find out the passenger rear cable wasn’t hooked to the caliper. Warm fuzzy feelings are now back! We went ahead and installed the TNT brackets while we are at it. Definitely gives it a smoother ride but we now have a slight rake. Really wanted to buy that Bestop rear tire carrier sooner before later so it will help level it back out. Who knows maybe we’ll get better mpg for the time being . Here is a few before and after shots of the Jeep with the brackets installed for those who are interested. We forgot to take before and after measurements but you get the idea. The rear springs are no longer crooked. They are straight up and down like the fronts. Would be perfect if we towed something too.

Before:
58EE9CD0-6AE1-4972-B83E-2C645D6819E3.jpeg

After:
727705D6-8315-477F-975E-7749D970ADF1.jpeg

Hard to believe this is the same Jeep.

153B6772-FF3C-448B-9A22-55E8B91E975C.jpeg

Hard to believe that is the same Jeep indeed! I like the way it looks as it sits now. A mild lift, tires that aren't too huge... my kind of look!

How did you bring your fender flares to life again? I'm guessing you either bought new ones or painted the old ones.

Hard to believe that is the same Jeep indeed! I like the way it looks as it sits now. A mild lift, tires that aren't too huge... my kind of look!

How did you bring your fender flares to life again? I'm guessing you either bought new ones or painted the old ones.
I actually found some rubicon flares for $150 on Craigslist. Makes a world of difference. Sold the faded grey ones. Bought the rubicon LJ rock guards for $50. Repainted and installed. Couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. I picked up the N-fab rails for $50 too.

Reactions: Chris
Nice to see you making a cameo! Been awhile. Welcome BACK! Looks good as always. One of the nicest LJ’s on the road, hands down.
Thank you! It looks good from 10 feet away lol. The chrome grill hides the rock chips and if you got closer than 10 feet you could see the scratches in the paint. We touched them up but they are still there lol. It’s a Jeep at the end of the day after all. We like to use it but not abuse it lol.

Thank you! It looks good from 10 feet away lol. The chrome grill hides the rock chips and if you got closer than 10 feet you could see the scratches in the paint. We touched them up but they are still there lol. It’s a Jeep at the end of the day after all. We like to use it but not abuse it lol.
What are these scratches you speak of?? I don’t have any of those..are they cheap?? Haha