2006 Jeep LJ build thread

Nice video! Folks don't realize the dedication and time it takes to take action shots like that. Cudos!

Not possible. They never made a Columbia edition Rubicon. I think those may be either reupholstered seats, seats he swapped in from a Columbia edition, or seat covers.
Maybe it was a tomb raider edition LJR that I am thinking of. I know there is 1,000 Rubicon Sahara's but I saw something somewhere about less than a 1,000 specific LJR's made that wasn't the Rubicon Sahara.

Reactions: Chris
Maybe it was a tomb raider edition LJR that I am thinking of. I know there is 1,000 Rubicon Sahara's but I saw something somewhere about less than a 1,000 specific LJR's made that wasn't the Rubicon Sahara.

You're probably thinking of the Rubicon Tomb Raider Edition then. Because other than that, the only other Rubicon edition they made was the Rubicon Sahara.

Reactions: Jeepersteve71
That's it. What was the production number on those again? Isn't it something like less than 200 in the LJ configuration?

From what I read, it says they made just over 1000 of them. I don't believe they ever offered them in an LJ form though, not that I've ever seen at least.

I say that because they only made them in 2003, and the LJ wasn't released until 2004.

From what I read, it says they made just over 1000 of them. I don't believe they ever offered them in an LJ form though, not that I've ever seen at least.

I say that because they only made them in 2003, and the LJ wasn't released until 2004.
Interesting. I've seen a Rubicon Sahara or two in person. I still have yet to see a tomb raider TJ though.

There is one around me, but you definitely don't see them that often! @Basiasadie has one!
I do have one!
They made just over 1050 of them and mine is 1057!
If you have any questions I can do my best to answer them!
09f59eb80ce7d4221be5f20b6d80e589.jpg
eaf793150232496afcda15f1e7a0f728.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

@billebob has a highline conversion like that, but he has the kit made by AEV (which they no longer make).

@David Kishpaugh rarely visits the forum, but if he happens to catch this, I know that he does highline conversions like this all the time.

From my understanding, it's not that difficult, you just have to take your time and be careful if you want it to be nice and clean.

It's definitely a great way to gain lots of additional suspension travel / clearance on our TJs. The JKs fixed that with much bigger wheel wells!

@billebob has a highline conversion like that, but he has the kit made by AEV (which they no longer make).

@David Kishpaugh rarely visits the forum, but if he happens to catch this, I know that he does highline conversions like this all the time.

From my understanding, it's not that difficult, you just have to take your time and be careful if you want it to be nice and clean.

It's definitely a great way to gain lots of additional suspension travel / clearance on our TJs. The JKs fixed that with much bigger wheel wells!
That's basically what JKs are. Flat with the frame skid plates, wider axles, slim hood, and high fenders. Ingenious! Lol

I love the AEV high fenders. Sucks they don't make them anymore. The guy's photo I shared said he doesn't like AEV's fenders because they make 35's look small. The factory Rubicon flares make the jeep look huge. Makes me curious what the direction of the JL is going to be.

That's basically what JKs are. Flat with the frame skid plates, wider axles, slim hood, and high fenders. Ingenious! Lol

I love the AEV high fenders. Sucks they don't make them anymore. The guy's photo I shared said he doesn't like AEV's fenders because they make 35's look small. The factory Rubicon flares make the jeep look huge. Makes me curious what the direction of the JL is going to be.

Yeah, that's the funny thing about JKs. The fender flares are so damn big, that you put 35" tires on and they still don't look big.

Which makes me actually appreciate the smaller wheel arches of the TJ. You can put 33" tires on them (like I have on mine), and the fill up the wheel wells perfectly, and almost seem bigger than they are.

But yes, what they did with the JKs and the wider axles and bigger wheel wells makes perfect sense, it's definitely a step forward.

But man, oh man... Have you ever seen how much parts cost for the JKs? They're at least double what our TJs cost!

Yeah, that's the funny thing about JKs. The fender flares are so damn big, that you put 35" tires on and they still don't look big.

Which makes me actually appreciate the smaller wheel arches of the TJ. You can put 33" tires on them (like I have on mine), and the fill up the wheel wells perfectly, and almost seem bigger than they are.

But yes, what they did with the JKs and the wider axles and bigger wheel wells makes perfect sense, it's definitely a step forward.

But man, oh man... Have you ever seen how much parts cost for the JKs? They're at least double what our TJs cost!
Only because that's what's selling right now :). Other than companies like Teraflex most parts for TJ's, YJ's and CJ'a have come down in price. Also the JK's do not require an SYE.