31 inch spare tire question

I haven’t looked much into the difference between the two.. but I read that M/Ts in the snow are not very good.. are A/Ts better for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M/Ts suck in the packed snow, whereas A/Ts are actually pretty good in the snow! Same with the heavy rain as well.

Reactions: Rubirob
Just adding, AT tires are made from compounds that are more conducive to traction in snow conditions then MT. I've witnessed 31" AT's walking all over 33' MT's in bottomless snow on almost identical TJ's - counterintuitively, extra rolling resistance from 33x12.5 does not help in deep snow.

Sound advice!

Sadly, most of us just buy a car or tires without checking the dates to confirm the age, it's of particular importance when buying second hand tires, in addition, I would only be using second hand if I lived on a rural property and wasn't intending on infecting my shortcomings on fellow road users so here's how you find when your tires were manufactured: whos running to the garage right now?
View attachment 48403
"The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003."
Beat yourself up

And now that you took the time to read the important safety tips here is the...

HOT TIP: Old tires can be revived! Yep, and what many of you wont realise is that if you use your TJ offroad then your probably reviving your tires without know it. Anyone see where this is going? Tire manufactures use polymers to help keep the rubber supple, airing down to low pressures and flexing your tires over lost of obstacles permeates the polymers to the surface and this will help keep your tires flexible for longer and the best, it's free!

HOTTER TIP: Do it on a hot day

G'day!

Good reminder!
We run into this "on the farm" where we don't run enough miles to wear the tread off. I had two blow outs on the semi in two days and went to the tire shop and replaced all 8 drive tires. Some of the casings were 14 years old or getting old enough to vote! (run rural roads, field to elevator 5-10 miles)

Reactions: Chris
Ok I see, well living about a hour away from
Some good snow I want to go this next year, I guess I can just get some chains for them for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, if you plan on driving in all different types of conditions, you wan't A/T tires.

M/T tires look cool, and they perform better in the serious mud and rocks better than an A/T, but they aren't the ideal tire for daily driving, or all weather conditions (hence the term All Terrain).