31" tires on a TJ: do I need a lift?

osiris

Hi all,

I bought a 2004 Wrangler Sahara about 2 years ago and the tire tread has really worn down. I'm looking to replace these with Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. The Jeep currently has mud tires on them, measuring 31X10.50R15LT. I've been reading a few forum posts and most people recommend getting some kind of lift for 31" tires. I'm pretty sure the previous owner did not do that, so I'm looking for advice on what to do.

Initially I was going to buy new tires of the same size, but that doesn't seem like a good idea unless I get a lift. I don't know much about lift kits and I certainly don't know how to install them. I'm wondering what size tire should I buy to replace these? If I do buy another set of 31" tires, how much of a lift would I need, and what type of lift (body, suspension)? If not, would it be smaller to get a smaller size tire? What size tire would work better with the stock suspension, and the current wheels that I have?

Attaching a photo of one tire, happy to take more if that would be useful.

Thank you!

IMG_3148.jpeg

Reactions: chili_pepper
What type of driving do you do? The lift is to ensure there is enough clearance during suspension articulation, which is typically at maximum when off-road driving.

Reactions: ColoJeep
What type of driving do you do? The lift is to ensure there is enough clearance during suspension articulation, which is typically at maximum when off-road driving.

none at the moment, but I'd like to start next summer with some easy trails.

Welcome to the boards. Really good place for TJ owners to hang out. A ton of knowledge here.

Na, for 31" fire / service roads your fine. If you're really concerned about it grab a 1.25" body lift with uncompressible pucks like Zone or Curry or Black Magic Brakes. (https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/pr...its-97-06-tj-and-tj-unlimited-all-trim-levels)

My TJ came with a "30" wheel package. Which my PO promptly put 31" tires on. You might need to put a washer behind the turn stop to keep the tire from rubbing on the control arm. You shouldn't have any issues unless you're working to flex it hard.

Na, for 31" fire / service roads your fine. If you're really concerned about it grab a 1.25" body lift with uncompressible pucks like Zone or Curry or Black Magic Brakes. (https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/pr...its-97-06-tj-and-tj-unlimited-all-trim-levels)

My TJ came with a "30" wheel package. Which my PO promptly put 31" tires on. You might need to put a washer behind the turn stop to keep the tire from rubbing on the control arm. You shouldn't have any issues unless you're working to flex it hard.

Thanks! I appreciate the reply and the recommendation. Is there any way to tell if my Jeep already has a body lift? Its a bit weird that the previous owner put 31s on

31s are about the biggest you can fit without a lift and still be ok. A body lift will show with these little pucks between your frame and body.

1697066184824.png

If you want to measure your springs to see if there is a lift then I think top of the spring to the bottom in front is 12" and rear is 8". Sometimes folks will put in a small spacer on top of the springs for a lift. I don't have a pick of that measurement handy but there are lots of them on this board. A quick search should show them.

Is there any way to tell if my Jeep already has a body lift?

Spring lift spacer.
In this case, it's shiny metal. Usually, they're black and made of a poly material.
The piece below it is the factory rubber isolator.

1_inch_installed.jpg

Body lift spacer.
The spacer is the black piece sitting above the factory rubber body mount.

BL-06.jpg

Reactions: Rickyd and SSTJ
Spring lift spacer.
In this case, it's shiny metal. Usually, they're black and made of a poly material.
The piece below it is the factory rubber isolator.

View attachment 464950

Body lift spacer.
The spacer is the black piece sitting above the factory rubber body mount.

View attachment 464951

Thanks so much! I appreciate the detailed post with photos. I'll double check tomorrow morning.

Stock Rubicons came with 31's from the factory and they ran the same suspension. You may just need to add a washer or two to both steering stop bolts like explained at https://www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html
Got it, thanks for the rec and install instructions!

Welcome to the forum. You've gotten good advice here on how to determine whether you already have a spring lift, body lift, or spacer lift. But keep in mind that the short story is: 31s are overall ok on an otherwise stock TJ.

Welcome to the forum. You've gotten good advice here on how to determine whether you already have a spring lift, body lift, or spacer lift. But keep in mind that the short story is: 31s are overall ok on an otherwise stock TJ.

Thanks for the summary!

Nope. I don't do any hardcore rock climbing or serious mudding, but for the casual trail ride it works fine.
Sounds great! What about any issues with sharp turns or driving in 4WDH or 4WDL?

No, really nothing to worry about with a stock suspension and 31s. IF you find your tires rub a little bit at full turn lock then add a washer or two like @Jerry Bransford linked to. I ran 31s for a year with sagging springs and never had an issue. You keep asking questions though, you will get sucked into the Jeep need to add a lift and then bigger tires and then more lift and the other endless upgrades ;-) Welcome to the sickness!

No, really nothing to worry about with a stock suspension and 31s. IF you find your tires rub a little bit at full turn lock then add a washer or two like @Jerry Bransford linked to. I ran 31s for a year with sagging springs and never had an issue. You keep asking questions though, you will get sucked into the Jeep need to add a lift and then bigger tires and then more lift and the other endless upgrades ;-) Welcome to the sickness!

Definitely infected with the sickness! I'll start with the 31s for now, then maybe in a few years get a full lift kit and 33s or 35s!

Na, for 31" fire / service roads your fine.

31s are about the biggest you can fit without a lift and still be ok.

Stock Rubicons came with 31's from the factory and they ran the same suspension. You may just need to add a washer or two to both steering stop bolts

No, really nothing to worry about with a stock suspension and 31s. IF you find your tires rub a little bit at full turn lock then add a washer or two like @Jerry Bransford linked to

These gentlemen said it all.

Stock '05 LJ with 31x10.5 KO2's on factory Ravines. Could use a washer on the stop bolts though haven't done them yet. Only an issue when turning tightly. Rubi flares to cover the tread (for state inspection). Alles gut, ja? (y)

IMG_20230730_113517541.jpg

EDIT: I should note that my use is more general purpose/utility, I don't do the kind of off-road driving some of the members who've posted do...though not knocking it.
:)

Last edited:
I personally have ran 31s on 3 different TJ's without doing anything else and had no issues. The Rubicon came with 31's from the factory, but I think they also had a 3/8ths inch welded on bumpstop to the spring perch. It might just be something a PO did but I doubt it when that 3/8ths could easily have just been added via washers to the upper cup. Can anyone else confirm this on the Rubis? It seems to correspond with what Fuse was saying in his spring walk thru guide when he cycled for 31s he found he did need additional bump stop. Not everyone is going to be this particular though and you would need to wheel it hard.

For the sake of riding light trails I wouldn't worry about it though.

Reactions: tr21triton
I personally have ran 31s on 3 different TJ's without doing anything else and had no issues. The Rubicon came with 31's from the factory, but I think they also had a 3/8ths inch welded on bumpstop to the spring perch. It might just be something a PO did but I doubt it when that 3/8ths could easily have just been added via washers to the upper cup. Can anyone else confirm this on the Rubis? It seems to correspond with what Fuse was saying in his spring walk thru guide when he cycled for 31s he found he did need additional bump stop. Not everyone is going to be this particular though and you would need to wheel it hard.

For the sake of riding light trails I wouldn't worry about it though.

I still scrap the underside of the fender at full flex with 31s.