35's and regearing

Astro

I bought a stock 2000 with a 44 in the rear and 3.73s, the rear axle needs rebuilt and now that I'm finally home again it's time to get to it. The shop quoted me 700 for rebuilding the rear and 1700 for re-gearing to 4.88s so I can run 35s. I am trying to get together all the parts I well need so I dont get "taken to the cleaners". I am looking at the motive gear master install kit. I believe I need a new rear carrier but not sure, what other parts would I need to change from 3.73s to 4.88s. I am also on a budget and still have to buy tires, rims and the lift. Should I just pay 700 and settle for 33s on 3.73s? Thanks in advance.

Why 4.88? Which transmission?
I was looking at 4.56 or 4.88 I have a auto 3 speed not sure of the exact model. I bought the jeep back in November but haven't been home since, 9 more hours of flying and then its jeep time!

3 speed makes sense, then. Many shops like to under gear all the other transmissions based on bad charts and poor assumptions.

3 speed makes sense, then. Many shops like to under gear all the other transmissions based on bad charts and poor assumptions.
I actually told this shop what I wanted, but I have never done this before, I was just going off previous information from here about the 3 speed, some people said 5.13 where to much.

32rh/34"/3.73=2765rpm @ 75mph
32rh/34"/4.10=3039rpm @ 75mph
32rh/34"/4.56=3380rpm @ 75mph

4.88 feels too low.

Reactions: billiebob
Time for more research, I so badly just want to pay the 700, get 33s and a decent lift and go play, but ik I wont like the 33s on 3.73s so no use to waste the 700 to then regear again when I have more money.

Just as an option- If you go with 33’s and 4.10 gears you could skip the regear and just source some axles from a 4 cylinder wrangler. Sell the 44 for $800 (if working but needs rebuild) to pay towards the axles and for a super 35 kit if wanted. If you know you only want 35’s and are gonna do the rebuild plus regear then I’d check if part of that $800 goes toward axle shafts since you’d want to upgrade from stock shafts if they’re already being replaced. Seems like $800 is a lot if the gears and carrier would be getting replaced as part of the regear cost. And just a reminder that 35’s would guarantee added costs to upgrade brakes, sye, driveshaft, etc. Maybe plot out your budget for all parts and see which scenario is the better fit.

4.56 for the 3 speed and 35's
that's right... i run 4.88s and although its awesome on the trail id like to be about 70 vice 63 at 3k rpms on the highway...

If I didn't recently start trailering for most wheeling trips i'd consider a re-gear especially if i lived further from work. right now .28 gear change hardly seems worth the cost.

I currently have 4.88's on 37's. I rarely see 5th gear unless I'm on the freeway.
If you DD your Jeep and plan to do 35's, go with 4.88's. boco
When my budget permits, I like to 5.?? mine.
But basically it comes to personal preference & $$.

I currently have 4.88's on 37's. I rarely see 5th gear unless I'm on the freeway.
If you DD your Jeep and plan to do 35's, go with 4.88's. boco
When my budget permits, I like to 5.?? mine.
But basically it comes to personal preference & $$.

Does yours have the 32rh?

Im running 36 superswamper tsls that actually measure around 35 and rubi44’s with 5.38 gearing with the nv3550 and its about perfect around 2500 at 65 mph

Not wanting to tell what gears to get, since mine is a Rubicon 6 speed. But I can say I would not provide the shop doing the work any gears or kits at all. If anything goes wrong the first day out or 6 months later I can tell you the shop will say it's the defective parts YOU supplied, and so much for any warranty

The $1700 for re-gearing should include all parts and labor, and it's still about $300 too high. You should be able to re-gear for about $1400 out the door, $700 for all the parts including gaskets and gear oil, and $350 per axel labor.