42RLE rebuild

Mine doesn't do an uptick. It takes a few minutes of driving to begin showing a temp.

I recall only three wires. The sensor terminal is wired directly to the temp sensor in the pan. The accessory light is tapped into the shifter light. And the ground is attached to the tub near the shifter plate.

Yes, the wiring should be pretty simple (Ignition, Sensor, Ground, Bulb). I also used the shift indicator wiring for the buIb.

I am using teflon tape on the sensor, but I figure that running a direct ground would eliminate that as a potential issue. I have my dash camera and heated seats grounded at the passenger side speaker ground so I figured the drive side speaker ground would also work well.

I believe that this has been resolved. I had been running about 18” of wire with a quick connector on the sensor end and this section did not have continuity. I replace this and tested but when I cycled the ignition on the needle then spiked so I removed the sensor to block ground. I also backed the sensor out of the pan far enough to confirm fluid flowed out and that the Teflon tape wasn’t interfering.

I was surprised by how long it took for temp to rise and it remained at 100° for the 5 miles or so that I drove around and then rose to only about 150° while idling in my garage.

View attachment 421009

Reactions: Weasellee
I believe that this has been resolved. I had been running about 18” of wire with a quick connector on the sensor end and this section did not have continuity. I replace this and tested but when I cycled the ignition on the needle then spiked so I removed the sensor to block ground. I also backed the sensor out of the pan far enough to confirm fluid flowed out and that the Teflon tape wasn’t interfering.

I was surprised by how long it took for temp to rise and it remained at 100° for the 5 miles or so that I drove around and then rose to only about 150° while idling in my garage.

View attachment 421009

Since the trans swap and Setrab cooler install several months ago, I haven't driven mine much above 40-50°F. The trans never got above 120°F. Yesterday was 75°F and I saw 150°F for the first time. And it took quite a while to get there.

Reactions: MikeE024
Since the trans swap and Setrab cooler install several months ago, I haven't driven mine much above 40-50°F. The trans never got above 120°F. Yesterday was 75°F and I saw 150°F for the first time. And it took quite a while to get there.

Yeah, a couple of years ago I carried an infrared temp gun on hot summer days to see how hot the transmission was getting and the pan itself never exceeded 174°. It will be nice now to have the gauge to reference.

I was wheeling this weekend in 60-70 degree weather with the setrab cooler installed after the radiator and never saw anything over 150. The wheeling was in Kentucky too, lots of hills and mud.

Same, during winter in AZ I didn’t see above 150* on multiple days in 4low. The setrab is a fine piece.

FWIW, they have a dual pass in the same envelope as well. Last I looked, it wasn’t advertised nearly as well.